Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Pet free photography (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Celebration of Light Fireworks 2010 Vancouver (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71803)

growler~GateKeeper August 2nd, 2010 11:27 PM

Celebration of Light Fireworks 2010 Vancouver

3 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the fuzzyness I don't have a tripod or SLR, next year I might try placing the camera on a book/ledge to see if that helps :shrug: plus it was a bit windy

First up was [B]USA[/B] with the theme "In The Mood"

Ten minutes before the start (at 10 pm) I noticed this interesting scene looking northwest with the clouds opening up a bit, long after sundown to allow some light back through, it's not the moon of course because it's behind me. Neat reflection on the pool too :cool:

[ATTACH]68030[/ATTACH]

Love the purple spiral & the fuzzyness of the shot gave the image of a dragonfly :D

[ATTACH]68031[/ATTACH]

The reflection on the ocean is always :cool:

[ATTACH]68032[/ATTACH]

growler~GateKeeper August 2nd, 2010 11:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
About 10:15pm, the clouds part a bit & you can see the lightness behind them

[ATTACH]68033[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68034[/ATTACH]

This one below is not fuzzy/out of focus, some of them actually come down like that :cool:

[ATTACH]68035[/ATTACH]

growler~GateKeeper August 2nd, 2010 11:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH]68036[/ATTACH]

USA Big Finish

[ATTACH]68037[/ATTACH]

Second night was [B]Spain[/B] with the theme "Heaven & Hell"

Looks like Saturn :laughing:, also with a purple spiral below

[ATTACH]68038[/ATTACH]

growler~GateKeeper August 2nd, 2010 11:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH]68039[/ATTACH]

This one below is fuzzy but I like how it turned out

[ATTACH]68040[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68041[/ATTACH]

growler~GateKeeper August 2nd, 2010 11:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
[attach]68042[/attach]

[attach]68043[/attach]

[attach]68044[/attach]

growler~GateKeeper August 2nd, 2010 11:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Third night was [B]Mexico[/B] with the theme "Journey"

After sunset, northwest

[ATTACH]68045[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68046[/ATTACH]

Below out of focus, but looks neat :cool:

[ATTACH]68047[/ATTACH]

growler~GateKeeper August 2nd, 2010 11:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
[attach]68048[/attach]

Below Can you see the sideways blue heart in the upper right hand corner? Unfortunately not a good shot but the only one I got of the hearts.

[attach]68049[/attach]

[attach]68050[/attach]

growler~GateKeeper August 2nd, 2010 11:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
These fireworks always show up really well for me :shrug: So I must be doing something right :laughing:

[ATTACH]68051[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68052[/ATTACH]

Final night was [B]China[/B] with theme "The Butterfly Lovers legend" Last years winners & not in the actual competition this year.

Red setting sun below some red clouds, this was about 30 mins after a HUGE thunderclap, 2 fork lightning strikes & 30 mins of big heavy raindrops - storm literally came out of nowhere, & left just as quickly :crazy:

[ATTACH]68053[/ATTACH]

growler~GateKeeper August 2nd, 2010 11:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH]68054[/ATTACH]

The open circles are :cool:

[ATTACH]68055[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68056[/ATTACH]

growler~GateKeeper August 2nd, 2010 11:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
[attach]68057[/attach]

[attach]68058[/attach]

[attach]68059[/attach]

growler~GateKeeper August 2nd, 2010 11:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH]68060[/ATTACH]

Below It's a little hard to tell but when this explodes it's a circle that is half green & half purple, there's also a red one behind it in this shot

[ATTACH]68061[/ATTACH]

China's Big sparkly finish, the lack of wind was holding alot of the smoke in close this night

[ATTACH]68062[/ATTACH]

This years winner is: [B]Spain[/B] :thumbs up

breeze August 3rd, 2010 07:19 AM

all the pictures are really cool.
you must have a great camera to get shots like these :thumbs up

I love the ones with the lighter sky :thumbs up

[SIZE="1"]this is the best way to view the fireworks for me :o from the safety for my house [/SIZE]

hazelrunpack August 3rd, 2010 09:13 AM

They're cool shots, growler!!! :cloud9: So purrrrrrrrdy!!!!!!! :flirt:

You missed a heart--third shot in post 5!!!! :D

Do you use a specific set of settings on your camera to get such great shots of fireworks?

Love4himies August 3rd, 2010 09:40 AM

Wow, great shots of them, growler :lovestruck:. Amazing what they can do with the fireworks :eek:. Are you taking those from your balcony?

luckypenny August 3rd, 2010 10:51 AM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;941411]You missed a heart--third shot in post 5!!!! :D [/QUOTE]

Neat! That's the first thing I noticed about that pic too.

Wonderful photos, Growler. I love this one... [QUOTE=growler;941357]
Red setting sun below some red clouds[/QUOTE]

The flag adds a nice touch :ca:.

Dog Dancer August 3rd, 2010 03:01 PM

Excellent pics Growler. I haven't gone down to the fireworks in years lately, but I can hear them from home!

growler~GateKeeper August 4th, 2010 02:17 AM

[QUOTE=breeze;941390]all the pictures are really cool.
you must have a great camera to get shots like these :thumbs up[/QUOTE]

It's a [url=http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/W50/W50A.HTM]Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-W50[/url], certainly no SLR but a good one I quite like it :D.

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;941411]Do you use a specific set of settings on your camera to get such great shots of fireworks?[/QUOTE]

Don't know that I'd call them great shots :rolleyes: :laughing:

Most of them I used what they call Program Auto setting with the flash off of course, there's a couple of things that can be changed colour, iso, white balance etc

For the China pics I used what is called the Landscape setting - distance focus flash off or the Twilight setting - low light without flash

There is some difference in the amount the camera will focus between Program Auto & the other two, plus the amount of light the lens absorbs/uses

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;941411]You missed a heart--third shot in post 5!!!! :D[/QUOTE]

:laughing: Never even noticed that :cool:

[QUOTE=Love4himies;941420]Wow, great shots of them, growler :lovestruck:. Amazing what they can do with the fireworks :eek:. Are you taking those from your balcony?[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's pretty cool what they can come up with when they explode. :lovestruck:

No I definately couldn't afford to live in that area :laughing:. Taking these pics I'm standing in a park above a public outdoor pool beside the beach/ocean.
I live in the next town over - out my balcony I see trees & the neighbouring building :D

[QUOTE=luckypenny;941426]Wonderful photos, Growler. I love this one...

The flag adds a nice touch :ca:.[/QUOTE]

That was interesting after the brief thunder/lightning/rain storm. :cool:

The flag is on/above a free musical performace stage beside/infront of the pool, the other poles you see in the background are boats in the dock beyond that.

[QUOTE=Dog Dancer;941579]Excellent pics Growler. I haven't gone down to the fireworks in years lately, but I can hear them from home![/QUOTE]

They definately can get pretty loud especially so close to the barge, some of the booms you can feel :laughing:.

Thanks for the compliments ladies but I of course see the fuzzyness in nearly every shot :frustrated: Sometimes I zoom in too much trying to get a closer picture but that just results in being a bit more out of focus like the sunset in Mexico shots :o

hazelrunpack August 4th, 2010 10:22 PM

I think they're pretty cool even if [I]you[/I] see fuzz. :p I've never had any fireworks shots turn out [I]half[/I] that good! :D