Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How to get him in the carrier? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=61888)

onster April 2nd, 2009 12:03 PM

How to get him in the carrier?

I think I bragged here before how my two were soooooo easy to get into the carrier :rolleyes:. Well ever since Bunduk got his post vaccine lump and had to get poked and prodded he will not go in the carrier.

When I took them to be be boarded (in guelph) I got Onnie in the carrier easy peasy but Bunduk would spread out all his legs and brace against the edges of the carrier doorway. After we tried for half an hour we ended up just letting him loose in the car. Then we felt bad Onnie was in the carrier...so we had no cats in the carrier.On the highway. Onnie was busy being sick :yuck: Bunduk was on mobro's head ( who was driving!!). Umm yeah. Im so glad we didnt get pulled over.

In an hour im taking Bunduk to the vet. ANy ideas how to get the rascal in? Its only 5 mins away but Id rather be safe than sorry. Plus there might be dogs in the waiting room or something and dont want bunduk to freak out. That and since Im driving him alone it would be rather difficult to be safe driving with him climbing all over me too.

Weve tried butting him in backwards. No go. Weve tried opening the top and dropping him in. No go. We tried doing it in the air..no go.

:shrug:

onster April 2nd, 2009 12:06 PM

Im off to the photolab to pick up yawn photos I had taken so its easier for vet to see his teeth ....she wil either think im crazy or Im genius LOL

Hopefully y'all will have some suggestions for me when I come back. No pressure No pressure :evil: :p Please and thank you.

14+kitties April 2nd, 2009 12:10 PM

How about draping a towel over his head so he can't see where he is going and then dropping him gently in backwards? May be the easiest way and less stressful on everyone. I sure wouldn't want him not in a crate in the waiting room. I have heard of too many kitties panicking and getting out of the vets office and lost. :sad:

Love4himies April 2nd, 2009 12:11 PM

I heard you can put them in a pillowcase then drop them in somehow. I have problems Jasper, but I can hold his legs together and put him in bum first [SIZE="1"]after about the 10th try and he is exhausted from struggling.[/SIZE]

Chris21711 April 2nd, 2009 12:14 PM

I was thinking more or less the same, wrap him up like a mummy and a little, or big, push and a shove.........Yep, the Vet probably will think you are batty taking pics in Onster...hey all in the name of helping science :laughing:

Bina April 2nd, 2009 12:48 PM

Cats must must must must be transported in carriers. ;)
Half an hour before you want to leave, when you are still relaxed, sit on the sofa with a towel nearby.....play with him, give a treat, and then quickly wrap him in the towel covering his head also. Stuff him in the carrier, give a treat, and away you go.
We keep a carrier permanently parked in the cat area beside the litter box.
They are at least used to seeing it, so we can more easily grab them and stuff them in if we need to. Good Luck.:)

onster April 2nd, 2009 01:11 PM

Thanks all!!

Im gonan try the mummy stuffing trick.

Since Im kinda running late wont be reporting back till after I come from vet. Hopefully all goes smoothly!

The photolab cropped my pics in the most awkward way :frustrated: I knew I shouldnt have ordered online baaaah.

sugarcatmom April 2nd, 2009 01:19 PM

The only way I can get Aztec into the carrier is to put the carrier in the car first with the door open, then ambush Aztec, take him to the car in my arms, and push him into the carrier after I've closed the car door. He doesn't seem to fight it as much as when he's in the house, maybe because he's already resigned to the reality of what's going on.

14+kitties April 2nd, 2009 01:22 PM

Just as an aside... the mummy trick may get him worked up a little unless he is used to it from baths. I know my guys get really upset if I try to wrap them with anything. The pillowcase one would though. JMO :shrug:
Watch for the fast feet of Bunduk. :rolleyes: Scratches are never any fun.

catlover2 April 2nd, 2009 01:54 PM

Stand the carrier on its end, hold his front feet together with one hand under the belly, support with the other hand and place him in it head first. Works for me for those cats that spread & brace. :thumbs up

LooneyBoone April 2nd, 2009 02:55 PM

Always found the best way to get a cat in a carrier (the one cat sees the carrier and runs for his life so getting him in is always an "adventure" to say the least) is to tilt the carrier onto it's end, scruff and plop the cat in butt first, quickly close the door and done. A second person is always handy too. :)

A video about what I'm talking about.
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhSvYA7ATJ4[/url]

A video with another idea on how to "carrier train" the cat.
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhSvYA7ATJ4[/url]

onster April 2nd, 2009 03:35 PM

And 300 dollars later...*ouch*

Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions (and video)!

For some strange reason *thank God* bunduk decided to just walk right into the carrier after a threw a treat in. Then when I shut the door he went ballitic but thats alright.

Maybe he forgot what the carrier was? It had been on the deck outside since last summer. Maybe outta sight outta mind? Dunno.

ANyhooo thanks again.

Btw for those interested im updating in the forum over the vet visit. Basically tho hes on antibiotics, got tonnes of bacteria in his mouth/ infection & he doesnt have FIV/ Feline leukemia (vet suspected it).

Heres the thread [url]http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=764402#post764402[/url]

dmc123 April 2nd, 2009 05:12 PM

A towel works good for our stubborn ones. We cover them completely with the towel whereever we find them, and then easily put them in the carrier - towel and all. More padding in the carrier too.

Diane

Jim Hall April 2nd, 2009 07:27 PM

For some strange reason *thank God* bunduk decided to just walk right into the carrier after a threw a treat in. Then when I shut the door he went ballitic but thats alright.

lol well he follwed the food he cute smart but not to qiuck

btw way ileave my crrier out all the time that way they think its furniture and sometmes lay in it

onster April 2nd, 2009 09:59 PM

I used to leave the carriers out all the time (lived in my room).

But after Onnie was sick in one when we brought him back from boarding I hosed both down in the yard. Then I let them dry. Then I forgot about them. Then they were snowed under. lol yeah u get the idea.

I was reaaaaally surprised bunduk went in with a simple treat. That so did not work last time he was having none of it!!

I suppose he doesnt have the strongest memory. I didnt see Onnie since I brought the carrier inside :evil: he's my smart cookie lol. Surprisingly even though hes the one who cowers and hides when the carrier comes out he sorta just turns to jelly and lets me gently nudge him into the carrier and walks right in. He knows not to fight mama lol