Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Arthritis help (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=3918)

amaruq April 14th, 2004 08:24 AM

Arthritis help

This was on CNN but its comes from my neck of the woods. Thought might be helpful as wasn't there someone asking about Arthritis? Can't find thread?

Elk antler pills pushed for arthritic dogs
Tuesday, April 13, 2004 Posted: 12:10 PM EDT (1610 GMT)

The Canadian Cervid Council says there are 2,500 elk and deer farms in Canada.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Story Tools

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RELATED
• Ontario Elk Breeders Association: Article on elk velvet

YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
Canada

or Create your own

Manage alerts | What is this?

WINNIPEG, Manitoba (Reuters) -- Hurt by export bans after the discovery of brain-wasting diseases in elk and more recently in cattle, Canadian elk farmers have found a new market: they're going to the dogs.

They're touting a University of Montreal study that found arthritic dogs could run and play with more ease after two months of taking four to eight capsules a day of elk velvet antler, a traditional Asian medicine.

"It's going to have a huge effect on our industry in a very short time," said Don Bamber, president of Royal Elk Products, a processor at Sangudo, Alberta.

Elk are members of the deer family, generally found in large wild herds in northern Canada and the United States. A mature bull elk can weigh up to 1,000 pounds.

There are about 2,500 elk and deer farmers in Canada.

mona_b April 14th, 2004 10:38 AM

WOW.

Very interesting.

TalonsMa April 15th, 2004 03:13 PM

Think it would work for cats too? :confused:

amaruq April 15th, 2004 05:13 PM

I would think so? I was thinking of trying it on myself first and see if any ill effects.

TalonsMa April 15th, 2004 05:14 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by TalonsMa [/i]
[B]Think it would work for cats too? :confused: [/B][/QUOTE]

That would be great, as Sades hip bothers her off and on.

woodbyter April 15th, 2004 08:38 PM

Elk Horn??

Has anyone read the study results or had any other input except from the head of the Royal Elk Products?

I don't mean to throw cold water on a study but isn't it somewhat odd that all of a sudden a study shows up for an induustry that has been hurt by ELK Wasting disease?

I'm just a minor skeptic..

Karin April 15th, 2004 08:54 PM

I am always looking into additional options.

Ciara's condition was so bad Feb. of last year I was already saying my good byes, her Vet and I both figured we had maybe two months at the most. Her bones are pitted and brittle, mainly the pelvis region, from unneeded steroid use. Long storey most here already now about.
I pulled out all stops..I have worked with my Vet community for so many years and the support is wonderful!
Our main therapy drug of choice is Adequan. (Polysulfated Glycosaminoglycan Injectable) This has saved her life so far and has kept her pain free.
Years ago Adequan was an Equine only drug. We did use it for dogs and I used it on my other Rotti, Jesse, before it was finally approved for canines.
It can be costly, but well worth it. I call it "liquid gold".
Most Vets I know will sell by the vial at cost. Equine Vets get a better deal on it so that is how I purchased it now.

Of course she is on other meds too, Synovi MSM..glucosomine & Derramaxx.

A year ago I had to carry Ciara, all 85 pounds of her outside.
Today she pulls me all over the place!
Everyday is still iffy...I treasure them all.
Adequan is manufacturered by Luitpold Pharmaceuticals, Inc. if interested.

doggy lover April 16th, 2004 09:02 AM

Our vet told us to use glucosamine (not sure about the spelling) with something else in it when we had Travis (he was a 9 year old BernesexGSD)as his hips were starting to give him a hard time helped him out a little as long as he didn't get to crazy and think he was two again. Call your vet and ask, I looked but I don't have the bottle left, must of thrown it out when we put him down.

woodbyter April 16th, 2004 09:31 AM

Glucosamine

I believe the combination you are referring to is Glucosamine Chondroitin. It helps promote cartilage and regenerates healthy joints.

doggy lover April 16th, 2004 09:39 AM

:D yep thats what it was called, memory off a little these days.

mona_b April 16th, 2004 11:40 AM

Another thing I have heard that is being used is pure Emu Oil.

It has been used for many many years for humans.And has been used for dogs roughly about 9 years.

My previous GSD Cujo has rheumatiod arthritis.Really no cure for that one.He was onall natural medication and shark cartlidge.He lost all muscle mass in his hind legs and had to be carried up and down stairs.No fun carrying a 100lb dog that's for sure.He was never in any pain.But the one day he was yelping in pain,and dragged his behind around.The next day it all ended....:(

woodbyter April 16th, 2004 11:55 AM

EMU OIL/CREAM

Blue Emu cream is very good and does help humans as well as our furry friends..HOWEVER watch out there are two types on the market.
One is BLUE EMU (7%) which is Aloe Vera based with pure EMU oil, Glucosamine, MSM , vitamins A&E plus a proprietary blend of natural Botanical extracts, a source of Omega 3-6-9.

The other one has a menthle base which will hurt thier noses mouth and can burn the skin.
You can tell by smelling them

C J Modisette April 16th, 2004 01:04 PM

woodbyter, you got me thinking

After reading your reply I did a bit of internet searching on Elk Velvet Horn. In March 2003 researchers in Calgary solicited volunteers to participate in a study to find out if the antlers do in fact assist in relieving the pain of arthritis ([url]www.ucalgary.ca/news/march03/elk-velvet.html[/url]). There is no indication that the study is complete. I also found the Canadian Quackery Watch, which sites the FDA Driaft Guidance of May 16, 2003 ([url]www.dietfraud.com/Pumping-up/Elk-velvet/[/url]). Apparently not everyone believes that elk velvet horn is safe for human or animal consumption.

I believe that I will wait for the study to come to some sort of conclusion.

woodbyter April 16th, 2004 08:29 PM

Horn, Root,Stone & Bone

For what it's worth people have been grinding up all sorts of animal horn-antlers and all sorts of stuff to smoke, eat and drink and as far as I know none have been proven to enhance anything. Black Rhino horn is supposed to be a male enhancement and men who eat the ground up horn ( which is actually matted hair) have not caused a population explosion.