Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog training - dog behavior (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Puppy dont pee in house, but does in box (crate) (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=24218)

jeannie00 February 23rd, 2006 01:57 AM

Puppy dont pee in house, but does in box (crate)

As most of you know, i have an 9 week old puppy golden retriever/black lab mix. She is doing awesome with house training. But at night time, alot of times she barks when she wants out to potty, we take her out. But some nights she dont bark and let us know at all shes gotta potty. Of a morning we go to get her out to go potty and she has wet all in her box. I dont understand. she dont potty in the house, but she does in her box. The only time shes in her box, is at night time (bedtime) and if were unable to watch her for a certain reason. Why is she wetting in her box at night. She doesnt let us know when she wants out. She does, but not all the time. Its not our faults either, cause were sleeping and she dont let us know she wants out sometimes. what can i do. We clean her box out with enzme cleaner when she wets in her box, and put clean towel in her box. What can or should we do??? We also remove her food and water after 6 oclock, so she doesnt have access to her water at nightime. Why is she doing this. Why isnt she letting us know shes gotta potty???

Prin February 23rd, 2006 01:59 AM

Am I nuts or did you ask this already? :crazy: :o

jeannie00 February 23rd, 2006 02:00 AM

[QUOTE=Prin]Am I nuts or did you ask this already? :crazy: :o[/QUOTE]
LOL i think your nuts lol. I didnt ask this question :crazy:

RaYne February 23rd, 2006 09:08 AM

At 9 weeks she is very much a baby.. you can't really rely on her to wake you up.

The only thing I could suggest is setting an alarm clock and getting up and taking her out. Set it for the time that she usually wakes you up. Eventually she will realize that she has to tell you everytime she needs to potty.

Inverness February 23rd, 2006 09:20 AM

I'd say I wouldn't expect a 2 years old human baby to wake me up each time she wants to go to the toilet during the night... please give her a chance and let her grow a little bit ! She's just a baby ! :love:

CyberKitten February 23rd, 2006 09:25 AM

I concur with the others- she is just a baby and depends on you (just as your human baby might at this stage tho your human baby might cry and you would hear it(the crying) and thus her but canine babies are a little different ;) ) Please give her lots of TLC, LOTS of time and LOTS of patience - this will take time and love on your part!!! You cannot possibly expect a baby to wake you up - she does not know she is supposed to but in time she will if you teach her).

Good luck but give her lots of time and love and she will be be fine.

jessi76 February 23rd, 2006 09:58 AM

[QUOTE=jeannie00]Its not our faults either, cause were sleeping and she dont let us know she wants out sometimes. what can i do. [/QUOTE]

so if it's not your fault, who's is it? it's certainly not the puppy's fault! she's a baby, locked in a crate - she has no choice. Where is the crate? I recommend you put her crate (or a 2nd crate) in your bedroom, next to your bed. Then, you may hear her moving or whining and will be able to get her outside in time. If you are a heavy sleeper, then set an alarm like suggested.

Also, limit her water before bed - I'm not saying don't allow her a drink, but don't let her drink ALOT. stay up as late as you can and take her out right before bed.

she's a baby, she will have accidents.

jeannie00 February 23rd, 2006 10:41 AM

Well i guess it really is my fault huh!! What i am asking pretty much is, will this pass in time?? Ive seen alot of people say that puppies wont go in their boxes, but i challenge that question. She does every night. The last time she goes out for the night is around 1:00 a.m. The past few nights she hasnt whinned wanting out, but she usually does when shes gotta go. Thats why i didnt understand. She always lets us know at night when shes gotta pee, but the past couple nights she hasnt, she just pees in her box. So this will pass in time??? Is what im trying to say... I give her lots of applaus, she is doing sooooo awesome with house training. Still no accidents in the house (knock on wood) but were having the crate issue is all. Shes doing awesome with her command training, she just has issues on snapping the treat outta my hand and biting me at the same time. But other then that. Shes doing awesome. Im sooo proud of myself for sticking to it this time. Were gonna have an awesome relationship. We all lover her very very much. She livens up the home. She just recently started barking yesterday. First time we've heard her bark. Its sooo exciting and adventurous. I cant wait till she gets a bit older. :)

StaceyB February 23rd, 2006 10:51 AM

Where did you get her from and how did they keep her. Basically what I am asking is if they kept her in a crate that had a screen bottom that she could go to the washroom and it is supposed to fall through. I don't like this done at all because it makes it very difficult to crate train because they think from the start that it is ok to go inside the crate.

Did you clean out the whole crate and everything in it with the enzyme cleaner?
Set your alarm for 3 different times through the night and take her out. If she continues to go every night in the crate it will become very difficult to stop. It is one of the hardest things to control and stop once it becomes a habit.
She is a baby and babies have accidents but you will want to do whatever you can to control the number of them. Make going outdoors much more exciting than going inside. Get very excited and treat when she does right.

Most dogs do not want to go in the place where they sleep. The ususal reasons why they would is when the crate is too large and she can sleep in one area without touching where she had her accident and when she is left in the crate longer than what she can physically hold.

gomez February 23rd, 2006 03:22 PM

From my experiences, I can tell you this WILL pass!!

Gomez was the same in the beginning, he went in his box, no matter how many times we took him out - his crate was not too big, not too small, we had him measured, etc... he just sometime had to go and he just went - at one point we were taking him out 10-15 times during the day and night -

However, he was not fully housebroken til he was 5-6 months - you have a few more tough months ahead of you, but stay on top of him, it's really worth it in the long run!

Usually puppies can hold their bladder for 1 hour for every month of their lives, at 9 weeks, your puppy can hold it for maybe 2 hours, maybe!

Go puppy!

jeannie00 February 23rd, 2006 09:22 PM

[QUOTE=StaceyB]Where did you get her from and how did they keep her. Basically what I am asking is if they kept her in a crate that had a screen bottom that she could go to the washroom and it is supposed to fall through. I don't like this done at all because it makes it very difficult to crate train because they think from the start that it is ok to go inside the crate.

Did you clean out the whole crate and everything in it with the enzyme cleaner?
Set your alarm for 3 different times through the night and take her out. If she continues to go every night in the crate it will become very difficult to stop. It is one of the hardest things to control and stop once it becomes a habit.
She is a baby and babies have accidents but you will want to do whatever you can to control the number of them. Make going outdoors much more exciting than going inside. Get very excited and treat when she does right.

Most dogs do not want to go in the place where they sleep. The ususal reasons why they would is when the crate is too large and she can sleep in one area without touching where she had her accident and when she is left in the crate longer than what she can physically hold.[/QUOTE]

I got her from some people that were giving them away. I have no clue where or how the kept her.
When she potties, i clean out the bottom of the box, Am i supposed to clean the roof, and sides as well??? Cause i dont do that, just the bottom where she sleeps on.

CyberKitten February 23rd, 2006 10:40 PM

You need to clean the whole box!!!! And clean it well because if she smells the stuff there, she may have decided this is one the places she can go. Unless you make a habit of taking her out and teaching her, she wil continue to do this. I woudl esp keep her close, like next to my bed (My pets always slept with me and there were rarely accidents but I've never used a crate either.) They do seem to be effective in training but not as a place for a puppy to spend huge ants of time in - why do you want her there at night? I know some ppl do it but the crate has pillows and blankets and toys and is next to the bed or on it. I am not an expert in care training tho but have trained many dogs - my beagle was the most difficult, lol - but I finally got him to where he would do it on schedule or when we walked. We started with puppy pee pads and worked from tghere- Usually, animals never soil where they sleep unless they are desperate and just cannot hold it so you will need to find a way to either have her not sleep there (Maybe she can sleep with you and then you will know when she needs to go - she is after all a baby!!!)

Jewel February 25th, 2006 08:22 PM

Hi I know with us our puppy never went in her crate but would go on carpet when we lifted carpet she stopped going on it....I agree with needing to take her out every couple hours plus limiting her eating and drinking long before she (all) goes to bed. we also started with smaller crate but also had a small bed in it for her to sleep on