Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Photography tips - photography gear (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Buy a new camera...looking for some input (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=39344)

Aimster April 17th, 2007 09:57 PM

Buy a new camera...looking for some input

I'm going to buy a new camera tomorrow and I've narrowed it down to 3

[url]http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10084055&catid=[/url]

[url]http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10078211&catid=[/url]

[url]http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10071946&catid=[/url]

Any suggestions? :D

Prin April 17th, 2007 10:00 PM

Any particular reason why you pic those three? :o

I'm a Canon girl, so I'm not a good judge of the Kodaks and Panasonics.... :o

TeriM April 17th, 2007 10:08 PM

I recently got a Canon S3 IS and totally love it.

Aimster April 17th, 2007 10:40 PM

The Kodaks are the only ones that have what I want. I'm looking for a higher megapixel and at least an 8x optical zoom or higher.

....and I'm buying it from Futureshop and those are the only cameras they have that are meeting that criteria. They might not even have them at the store when I go but if I can find something with similar specs then I'll be happy.

I want a camera with more options so that I can change the settings to get better pictures....for example, I'm going to a concert on Saturday and it will be dark and I want to take some good pictures so I'm trying to make sure the camera has a lower f stop and the optical zoom will be nice as well.

Prin April 17th, 2007 10:44 PM

The optical zoom is kind of worthless though...:o Jiorji can explain it better than I can, but it's just sort of the same as taking a picture not zoomed in and cropping it- so the quality sucks. IMO, one with a programmable ISO speed would be more ideal... And one that takes bigger pics but has less zoom would work because you could crop them afterward and still get a nice pic out of it.

Aimster April 17th, 2007 10:54 PM

Hmmm....now I'm not sure what to buy :confused:

So if I buy a camera that has a high megapixel but only has a 4x optical zoom, I could still get a good photo just by zooming and cropping?

What about this one?

[url]http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&MSCSProfile=3C79F0C7EA3162B2D7ADAC57314A0E6AB1A67E2AE67F27A7912BEA5EE2F994AB3DE820748EE6A553393B0EA213215861716937296DB7C5C2F9866D835C43AB62EFB2B4FBB3B3692A4A4FE36D03C769499B1922186889D88BA13C907545F7776853CC994E40623AA313BD5750003211F19947012C3C07860B3D7BE70381DEBE485B14E5C8360AFCD4334AC014892FAE16292A97FC2C5E9EADD2E0393E807E0E6776AFB2055FC4730F7D4BCC65CA59001ECF3B12CE63FE8C3EC748F17C5603563F4CFE98DC0DFB1EEB&sku_id=0665000FS10085795&catid=[/url]

Prin April 17th, 2007 11:01 PM

Where's Jiorji? :D

Hmm... I have the A510 (only 3.2 megapixels), but it's a similar body, and probably has similar (but not as refined) features, and I like it...

For a concert though... That's a toughie... An SLR would be best, but then you get really expensive... Do you have a regular camera? A 35mm?

Just don't use the flash for the concert at all, whatever you end up using... If you flash, you'll light up everybody 3m or less in front of you and black out the stage...

Oh and yeah, if you zoom less but crop more, you'll end up with the same pic, or even a better pic if the original (unzoomed) is bigger...

TeriM April 17th, 2007 11:09 PM

Cnet does some pretty good reviews. You might want to check that out.
[url]http://reviews.cnet.com/Digital_cameras/2001-6501_7-0.html?tag=cnetfd.dir[/url]

Aimster April 17th, 2007 11:11 PM

Right now I have a Fuji FinePix 2650, I bought it 3-4 years ago and it's getting pretty worn, I'm not satisfied with the pictures. It really only works on close ups with good lighting, it's not very adjustable.

I didn't know that about the flash, it would explain photo's from other concerts or dark lit shots. Do I want to have a lower ISO setting when I'm trying to take these pictures? And a slower shutter speed?

I like the Canon, a salesperson showed me the A570 the last time I was in and I was going to buy it so perhaps it's the one.

Prin April 17th, 2007 11:12 PM

I'd give you some consumer reports stuff, but apparently "my" subscription has expired. :rolleyes: :D

x.l.r.8 April 17th, 2007 11:17 PM

FWIW I just went through the same dilema, I ended up with the Fuji f30, my shortlist also had the canon 800IS and the panasonic FX series, however i also declined on the larger optical zoom as they are still in their infancy unless you go to SLR and I wanted a compact. IS does not freeze the subject unfortunatly so may not be worth as much as you are paying for it.
I am still in play mode so I can't say to much, but there was so little to choose between them I decided $550 of camera in my pocket snowboarding was not going to happen, I liked the fuji and the battery life is truely amazing. Canon snobs :laughing: stick with the brand and for a good reason, there quite simply very good, unlike some offerings from other companys who may produce one good camera and use that to carry the rest of the range. Sorry but that probably does not help much. :shrug: :2cents:

TeriM April 17th, 2007 11:22 PM

From consumer reports:

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Important features Digital cameras

Digital cameras are distinguished by their resolution--how many pixels, or picture elements, the image sensor contains. One megapixel equals 1 million picture elements. A 5-megapixel camera can make excellent 8x10s and pleasing 11x14s. There are also 6- to 10-megapixel models, including point-and-shoot ones. These are well-suited for making larger prints or for maintaining sharpness if you want to use only a portion of the original image. Professional digital cameras use as many as 16 megapixels. Price: $100 to $400 for 4 megapixels; $150 to $500 for 5 and 6 megapixels; $300 to $1,000 for 7- to 10-megapixel point-and-shoot models, and up to $1,700 for 10-megapixel SLRs.

Most digital cameras are highly automated, with features such as automatic exposure control (which manages the shutter speed, aperture, or both according to available light) and autofocus.

Instead of film, digital cameras record their shots on flash-memory cards. Compact Flash (CF) and SecureDigital (SD) are the most widely used. Once quite expensive, these cards have tumbled in price--a 512-megabyte card can now cost less than $30. Other types of memory cards used by cameras include Memory Stick Duo and xD.

To save images, you transfer them to a computer, typically by connecting the camera to the computer’s USB or FireWire port, or inserting the memory card into a special reader. Some printers can take memory cards and make prints without putting the images on a computer first. Image-handling software, such as Adobe Photoshop Elements, Jasc Paint Shop, Microsoft Picture It, and ACDSee, lets you resize, touch up, and crop digital images using your computer. Most digital cameras work with both Windows and Macintosh machines.

The file format commonly used for photos is JPEG, which is a compressed format. Some cameras can save photos in the uncompressed TIFF format, but this setting yields huge, storage-hogging files. Other high-end cameras have a RAW file format, which yields the image data with no processing from the camera and might also be uncompressed.

The optical viewfinder is becoming increasingly rare, replaced by larger color LCD monitors. (Some are now as large as 3 inches.) Monitors are very accurate in framing the actual image you get--better than most optical viewfinders--but they might be hard to view in bright sunlight. You can also view shots you’ve already taken on the LCD monitor. Most digital cameras provide a video output, so you can view your pictures on a TV screen.

Many new models let you capture video and sound. Some let you record video in high-quality MPEG4 format, up to 30 frames per second, up to the memory card’s capacity.

A zoom lens provides flexibility in framing shots and closes the distance between you and your subject--ideal if you want to quickly switch to a close shot. The typical 3x zoom on mainstream cameras goes from a moderately wide-angle view (35 mm) to moderate telephoto (105 mm). You can find cameras with extended zoom ranges between 8x and 15x, giving added versatility for outdoor photography. Other new cameras go down to 24 or 28 mm at the wide-angle end, making it easier to take in an entire scene in close quarters, such as a crowded party.

Optical zooms are superior to digital zooms, which merely magnify the center of the frame without actually increasing picture detail, resulting in a somewhat coarser view.

Sensors in digital cameras are typically about as light sensitive as ISO 100 film, though many let you increase that setting. (At ISO 100, you’ll probably need to use a flash indoors and in low outdoor light.) A camera’s flash range tells you how far from the camera the flash will provide proper exposure. If the subject is out of range, you’ll know to close the distance. But digital cameras can tolerate some underexposure before the image suffers noticeably.

Red-eye reduction shines a light toward your subject just before the main flash. (A camera whose flash unit is farther from the lens reduces the risk of red eye. Computer editing of the image may also correct red eye.) With automatic flash mode, the camera fires the flash whenever the light entering the camera registers as insufficient. A few new cameras have built-in red-eye correction.

Some cameras with large LCDs, and some with powerful telephoto lenses, now come with some form of image stabilizer. (Optical-image stabilizers are the best type; some cameras use simulated stabilization to try to achieve the same effect.) Stabilizers compensate for handheld camera shake, letting you use a slower shutter speed than you otherwise could for following movement. But an image stabilizer won’t compensate for the motion of subjects.

Most new 6- to 10-megapixel cameras come with full manual controls, including independent controls for shutter and aperture. That gives serious shutterbugs control over depth of field, shooting action, or shooting scenes with tricky lighting.

[/COLOR]

Prin April 17th, 2007 11:32 PM

Hmm....
[QUOTE]Optical zooms are superior to digital zooms, which merely magnify the center of the frame without actually increasing picture detail, resulting in a somewhat coarser view.[/QUOTE]
I knew I should have waited for jiorji.:D

TeriM April 17th, 2007 11:37 PM

My S3 has a 12x optical zoom and a 4x digital.

Also from consumer reports.

Optical zoom
Magnifies the image using a real multifocal-length lens, whereas a digital zoom uses electronics to enlarge the center portion of the image using interpolation. Some cameras have both optical and digital zoom. The optical-zoom range is what really matters; image quality decreases the further one goes into the digital-zoom range. The magnification ratio available for optical zoom is expressed by a value such as 2X or 3X. A 2X optical zoom with a minimum focal length of 7 mm would have a maximum focal length of 14 mm.

Prin April 17th, 2007 11:45 PM

:footinmouth: :footinmouth:

marko April 18th, 2007 08:33 AM

I can't comment on these cameras, but I would suggest that you also compare prices with your larger photo stores in your area.

I know that here in Montreal Futureshop's prices are almost always 10-20% HIGHER than the larger Pro photo stores which sell MANY point and shoot cameras. Buying from THOSE stores also has the benefit of the salesman actually having tried them. Just my :2cents:

Good luck!

happycats April 18th, 2007 08:47 AM

I have the Canon elph and just LOVE it!!

And may parents just got this Canon (10 MP)
[url]http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10080650&catid=24256[/url]
And the love it.

another great site for some great info on any product is.

[url]http://www.epinions.com/[/url]

Skryker April 18th, 2007 09:57 AM

:o I have a little Canon Powershot and I love it! It's an older model now I suppose, but it fits nicely in my pocket and takes great pics. Battery life on rechargables is good, too.

My Mom has already spoken for it when I upgrade eventually. :D She'll have to wait awhile first-plus my daughter wants it, and so does my niece!

Aimster April 18th, 2007 03:52 PM

I think I'm going to go with a Canon. I'm heading out to buy it in a few hours, I'll be sure to come back and post which one I bought.

Prin April 18th, 2007 09:36 PM

You can always bring it back if you hate it.;)

Aimster April 18th, 2007 10:15 PM

I settled on the Canon PowerShot A570 IS. I thought about how serious I want to get into my pictures and this camera is going to give me some different options but isn't too complicated. I think I'll be satisfied with this camera and can't wait to start snappin' the pics!

Thanks for all of the help. :D