Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Gardening (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Our front yard (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=69464)

dmc123 April 7th, 2010 06:29 PM

Our front yard

3 Attachment(s)
I guess this goes into gardening :) I am not the one who does the work, though, that is my roomie.

When I first moved here the thrift looked just like this, but many years of mowing and weed-eating took it's toll. Last year she replanted around the front lot - and this year it has grown in so beautifully :)

I wanted to share a couple of pics. I am just so thrilled it has grown so nicely this Spring.

Diane

dmc123 April 7th, 2010 06:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
a couple more -

one of the Iris that grows each year with no effort on our part.
[ATTACH]64074[/ATTACH]

This one - close up of the thrift.
[ATTACH]64075[/ATTACH]

Melinda April 7th, 2010 07:15 PM

very pretty, I have lots of that surrounding my beds here, your roomie did a wonderful job

Goldfields April 7th, 2010 07:38 PM

I don't think I've ever seen Thrift before. It's lovely. Well done your roomie. :thumbs up

hazelrunpack April 7th, 2010 11:00 PM

Very pretty, Diane! :cloud9: Nothing like a little color after a dreary spring thaw! I wish we had some here :o

14+kitties April 7th, 2010 11:07 PM

Very pretty dmc. Umm, I think the thrift is actually aubrietta. Thrift is taller with the flower stem about 4 inches or so about the plant. Aubrietta is actually one of the earliest flowering plants in the spring. It is usually grown that way so it spills over the rocks. I love it! I have a couple smaller patches just greening up now. The other plant looks like a bearded iris. Another of my favs but they don't last long. :(
Can I borrow your roomie for a few weeks? I can't seem to find the energy to get out to my flower beds yet.:o

dmc123 April 8th, 2010 11:06 AM

[QUOTE=14+kitties;906168]Very pretty dmc. Umm, I think the thrift is actually aubrietta. Thrift is taller with the flower stem about 4 inches or so about the plant. Aubrietta is actually one of the earliest flowering plants in the spring. It is usually grown that way so it spills over the rocks. I love it! I have a couple smaller patches just greening up now. The other plant looks like a bearded iris. Another of my favs but they don't last long. :(
Can I borrow your roomie for a few weeks? I can't seem to find the energy to get out to my flower beds yet.:o[/QUOTE]

14+ I am sure you are right, but that is what everyone around here calls it - LOL no one, including me, would know what aubrietta is :)

Thanks.

dmc123 April 8th, 2010 11:07 AM

and 14+ you are right also about the Iris - I had brain fog last night writing Lily - LOL

Thanks again.

14+kitties April 8th, 2010 10:00 PM

[QUOTE=dmc123;906248]14+ I am sure you are right, but that is what everyone around here calls it - LOL no one, including me, would know what aubrietta is :)
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Have you heard of Rock Cress? That's a more common name for it. It's gorgeous no matter what it's called!!!