Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog books - cat books - pet books (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Good Dog Books? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=5010)

cutelittlemako June 17th, 2004 10:50 PM

Good Dog Books?

I love reading books about dogs, but I find that it's hard to find good ones. I like innovative books and I prefer communication or relationship books to books that deal with specific breeds or care. It's not that I don't like these, I just find that once you read one, you've read them all. So far here are the ones I have read:

- Boxers for Dummies
- Training your Boxer
- Metrodog
- Bones would rain from the sky

I am reading "How to be your dog's best friend" by the Monks of New Skete, and I have purchased "The well mannered dog" and have not yet read it.

I just wanted to know if any of you have any good books to recommend. I would love to have your reviews of good books you have read :)

Thanks!

Spoiled June 18th, 2004 05:16 PM

Wow, I just finnished a really good book called "Beyond Basic Dog Training" by Diane L. Bauman. It's about the best book you can find, and out of all the hundreds of dog books I've read, it would rate high above the others.

There is also "How to Raise a Puppy you can Live with" I can't remember the name of the person who wrote it, but it is available a lot of places.

Hope this helps. :)

Karin June 18th, 2004 06:09 PM

Funny...

Okay, my absolute favorite author Is Carl Hiaasen. [url]www.carlhiaasen.com[/url]. (I think that is the link)

My cancer coach Jackie gave me the fiction novel " Sick Puppy" in 1999 and I have been hooked ever since. It is hilarious and the main charactor is someone we all wish we were at one time or another.

I love all of his books, I am on my 6th now.

He's a Florida native too, and has a daily column with the Miami Herald, along side Dave Barry.

Karin June 18th, 2004 06:15 PM

Yeh for me! The link works!

*patting self on back*...I have never been to good at this 'puter stuff.

You may go back to your lives now...

cutelittlemako June 18th, 2004 06:21 PM

Wow, thanks, i'll be sure to checl those out! I find that most books contain the same info, and it gets boring to read. My dog sits when asked, I don't need to read about it over and over again. I like original information and tricks. These books are hard to find.

Thanks again!

glasslass June 18th, 2004 07:48 PM

There's a "Chicken Soup for Animal Lovers" that is full of neat true stories about amazing pets. :)

melanie June 20th, 2004 05:54 PM

i have 2 doggy bibles, the first is the 'complete book of dog care' by oxford, good homeopaty remedies for dogs and good home remedies. the best dog book i ever read was ' Think Dog', cant remember who did it, but it is easy to find. it is a fantastic dog psychology book and lets the reader into the mind of dogs, really good stuff and helped me understand charlie so much when she was growing up. :D

cutelittlemako June 20th, 2004 06:54 PM

I was looking for a Dog Care book, but I can't find one that includes "megaesophagus", which is the condition that Mako has. I figure if i'm going to buy a health book, it might as well include my #1 concern. Still looking for one that includes it.

doggy lover April 18th, 2007 07:13 PM

I get most of my dog books from Amazon just search dogs and you'll find tons of books. The two best authors I have found lately are Jan Fennell and Jon Katz they are kind of story books but training too. Right now I'm reading a book on Bernese Mountain Dogs by Bernd Guenter, it has beautiful pictures of these wonderful dogs, that is what I want to get when I retire to my cottage, I just love them.