Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Pure Inspiration - Happy tails (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Finnegan the squirrel (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21020)

badger November 5th, 2005 10:41 PM

Finnegan the squirrel

1 Attachment(s)
For about as long as she can remember, Debby Cantlon says, friends and
strangers have brought her animals in need. So it wasn't much of a
surprise when someone asked her if she'd care for a newborn squirrel found at the base of a tree somewhere near Renton.

Debby Cantlon, who plans to release Finnegan, the young squirrel, back
into the wild, bottle-fed the infant squirrel after it was brought to her
house. Cantlon, who has cancer, says rescuing injured animals is!
therapeutic for her.

When Cantlon took in the tiny creature and began caring for him, she
found herself with an unlikely nurse's aide: her pregnant Papillon,
Mademoiselle Giselle. Finnegan was resting in a nest in a cage just days before Giselle was due to deliver her puppies. Cantlon and her husband watched as the dog dragged the squirrel's cage - twice - to her own bedside before she gave birth.

Cantlon was concerned, yet ultimately decided to allow the squirrel out
- and the inter-species bonding began.

badger November 5th, 2005 10:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this could be long...

badger November 5th, 2005 10:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
but the pictures are so...

badger November 5th, 2005 10:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
amazing that I want...

badger November 5th, 2005 10:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
to include them all...

badger November 5th, 2005 10:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
what else is there to say?

badger November 5th, 2005 10:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
wait for it...

badger November 5th, 2005 10:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
almost there...

badger November 5th, 2005 10:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the dog is suckling the squirrel...

badger November 5th, 2005 10:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and now the squirrel isn't sure what species he is...

badger November 5th, 2005 10:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
almost done..

badger November 5th, 2005 10:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
last one I promise

jiorji November 6th, 2005 12:16 AM

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

that's so precious!!

Prin November 6th, 2005 12:24 AM

Awwww indeed! That's cute and interesting at the same time. :)

chico2 November 6th, 2005 09:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Awww Badger that is adorable and amazing,thank's..
I think everyone knows about my FiFi,she's of course not in my house,but she's like a little pup,comes when I call her and even lets me pet her(only on her tail) and she's been with us for 5 yrs now,on a steady diet of peanuts and fruits.
A friend of mine brought up a little baby-squirrell and when he matured she let him go outside in the yard and he eventually stayed outside,although the door was always open for him.Here's FiFi(again! got to get some new pics)

jesse's mommy November 6th, 2005 09:06 AM

That is so precious. Do you think she will be able to release the squirrel after this? I think she has a pet squirrel who is going to act like a dog!!!

Luba November 6th, 2005 04:25 PM

Thats amazing I LOVE IT!!! :D

Squirrels need a high protein diet from what I know from the wild life centre or they can get fractures.

shannonRN November 6th, 2005 05:32 PM

I read/heard somewhere that squirrels are really squished in the nest as they grow up and crowd the small space. I'm sure on some level, Finnegan was really missing that until the litter was born. That is just so sweet. Your FiFi is a real cutie too, chico.
Is it legal to harbor wild animals in CA? In NY it is illegal unless you are a licensed wildlife rehabilitator. Just wondering.

badger November 6th, 2005 07:19 PM

Renton is in Washington State.
Canada has similar laws, I believe. There are a lot of hurdles if individuals want to harbour a wild animal and generally they lose in the end. I guess the wildlife rescue places are licensed. I think the gist of it is they don't want people keeping 'vermin' as pets, racoons that could be carrying rabies, etc. Of course, that doesn't stop people from doing it.

Isn't the little dog elegant? And the name, Madamemoiselle Giselle, a bit long for hollering but a perfect fit.

chico2 November 7th, 2005 08:21 AM

Yes Badger,she is and a wonderful mom:love:
There was a time,I believe 2 yrs ago,when all wild-animal babies were killed by the MONR(ministry of natural resources) and anyone finding an abandooned baby-animal would be hard put to leave the baby at any rescue-place.Thousands of coons,foxes and others were killed.
Squirrells very easily adapt to the wild once they've matured,as long as you don't just dump them far from"home".
My squirrel FiFi is not a"pet"although she's tame with me and hubbie,she lives across the street somewhere,but smartly uses the over-head wires to cross the street.The average life-span for a wild squirrel is 1yr,but FiFi has been with us for 5.A squirrel in captivity can live up to 13yrs.
FiFi has had 2 litters every year,that makes for a lot of babies:D

joeysmama December 3rd, 2005 03:27 PM

Ohhhhh....that is so darling !! To see the baby squirrel and baby puppies all sleeping together and looking so content !!

I loved it !