Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   More educated ? or confused? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=3580)

Iggette March 20th, 2004 09:08 AM

More educated ? or confused?

I have been kind of lurking around in the threads containing information and disscussions on pet food And today I was gobsmacked:eek:

I like many others thought I was feeding my dog well giving them what I thought to be good quality food.

I went surfing away on a link that Carina posted and to my horror found that my so called good quality food is full of everything it apparently shouldn't have! BHA/BHT Double listed ingredients, food colouring etc. etc.

The more I read the more confused I get . I originally thought (before I came to this site) that feeding a dog human food was a no no, would just lead to obesity, I had learned previously that fruits and veggies were ok and low fat, bandit used to love the pea pod skins and apples carrots...etc.....

I am guilty of watching the commercials and believing in them, after all I feed my dogs Pedigree, one of the best.........or so I thought:(

I am seriously going to look into changing Ursa's diet as I am apparently not feeding her as well as I could be.

Is there a How to ......or easy to understand site that I could use as a guide on how to swith over a diet ?.......and which diet might be best suited for her disposition....ex. hips, age, breed etc......

The more I read the more I want to learn, I think my mate is starting to think I am obsessed since Bandit has passed, It's a shame that it takes a tragedy to open ones eyes to reality:( but I am slowly becoming to realize that I should be more skeptical about things and less .....oh I dont know....Gullable?:o

chico2 March 20th, 2004 09:45 AM

Yes,Igette you have to learn not to fall for commercials on TV,the same as I do not run out and get this "miracle"cream promising to remove my wrinkles:D
I think a good pet-food dealer should be able to lead you in the right direction.At"my"store "Rens feed and pets"they are all very knowledgable and are all pet-owners themselves.

Lucky Rescue March 20th, 2004 10:23 AM

I know how you feel, Iggette - I was clueless too, and thought Science Diet was premium food!!

Here are some good foods - any of them would be fine for your dog.

Wellness
Innova
California Natural
Nutro
Solid Gold
Canidae

Nutro is the less pricey - but just remember, the better quality the food is, the less you feed of it(as a rule),and the less poop you get.;)

Iggette March 20th, 2004 01:28 PM

less poop :eek: oh boy I like that one.....lol

None of those brands sound familar to me I guess they are sold in pet stores I never usually go into them except for buying treats, or collars leashes licences etc..... I shall have a peek.........

I guess what I was referring to when I said diet change was real people food... I saw that some of you give boiled chicken , turkey , Raw diet, even canned fish could be good , so I was looking for some sort of site that could give me ideas on healthy people food.....lol.....does that make sence?

I also saw that some of you feed rice or potatoe as well almost sounds like I could just make an extra plate for ursa, provided it was a sort of heart friendly diet, like.... only boiled or steamed....no fat or sauces of course but just straight veggies and meat, without the spices I would want to make sure that she got all her required nutrients and I do have a full bag of pedigree to finish up while I research this diet change and be 100% sure of what I am doing and why!!

Did any of you have odour problems with things.....lmao....I could always tell when my mate had snuck Ursa a good helping of leftovers as I could smell the after math of it during the night....peeeeeeewwww although Im sure the sauce or gravy or spices had something to do with it

melanie March 21st, 2004 03:45 PM

i know your problem well, if i give my girl pedigree or anything with colors and preservatives in it well, it is pretty smelly. when my girl was a pup i was told not to feed her anything with these addatives in it, just check the side of the bag or tin in the ingrediants (sorry bad speller) section and it will clearly state if preservatives and colors are added. also we make some pretty nice doggy stews around here (for the dog, not made of the dog:D ) we just get lots of veges and mince or similar meat, and boil it up with a bit of low salt gravy added at the end. just avoid chillis, onions, capsicums ect. as they add to flatulance and are not good for dog. and a nice piece of boneless fish wont go to far astray either, or even a tin of tuna. hope it helps;) ;)

Chany March 21st, 2004 03:48 PM

Raw Diets

Hi Iggette! I have my dogs on Wendy Volhard's natural diet and at first it does seem overwhelming but you quickly get used to it. I have a couple of shelves devoted to their vitamins and supplements, weigh out enough meat for their meal a month at a time and freeze it, which makes it extremely handy, have their diet taped to the inside of a cupboard door. It probably takes a couple of hours a month to get the meat prepackaged but then its worth it because my dogs are doing excellent on it and I can adjust it accordingly to their age.

LavenderRott March 21st, 2004 05:55 PM

Carina wrote an excellent book for beginners. I am sure she will chime in and let you know the web address.

Chase, my overweight senior, has lost about 15 pounds on her raw diet and has so much more energy.

Iggette March 21st, 2004 08:54 PM

Yes through the many posts I found her web site and ordered her book, I look forward to its arrival, Ursa sure could loose a few pounds as well, maybe this will help;)