Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How to get rid of cat pee odor on floors (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=84108)

sandyrivers June 6th, 2013 03:54 PM

How to get rid of cat pee odor on floors

Hi, my friend has a problem with cat pee on her hardwood floors. She left her place for 3 days and changed the cat litter before, she has 2 litter boxes and 2 cats, one male, one female, both spayed and neutered, both are 4 years old and healthy. Apparently her cats decided that the litter box was not clean enough or that they missed her and were upset, and peed on her hardwood floor...Thing is, her floors are very damaged and some of the wood no longer has varnish on it, so the wood itself is exposed.
I was at her house yesterday and did notice a cat pee smell in one area of her livingroom. Note that the smell is only in the livingroom, they did not pee anywhere else.
The problem is that we tried to sniff all around and cannot pinpoint the exact spot where they peed. What we did was use some upholstry-carpet cleaning liquid (the kind you use when you rent a carpet cleaning machine), and washed the floor with that, not knowing exactly where the accident happened, we did the whole livingroom floor...This did NOT work, and it still smells of cat pee... We then proceded to use about 1 liter of vinegar in 4 liters of water and mopped the whole livingroom again, that did not work either, it did get rid of a bit of the smell, but it still lingers...
Does anyone know of a way to get rid of this smell... We are very desperate to get rid of it!
PS we did sniff on the couch and lounge chair and the smell does not come from there, so they did noy pee on the furniture.

Thanks for your help and advice.

sandyrivers

Barkingdog June 6th, 2013 04:00 PM

[url]http://www.ehow.com/how_5589742_dog-out-unfinished-wood-floors.html[/url]

I found this link , it may help

pattymac June 6th, 2013 05:19 PM

Nature's Miracle is my favourite thing for removing cat pee odour. You can get one that's specifically for cat pee. Any pet store pretty much carries it.

tiggy2 June 6th, 2013 07:31 PM

Natures Miracle is my favorite too and I have a cat that likes to spray when stressed...you can guess who that is? Tiggy my guy who's the picky eater.

Spray area and leave, spray again if the smell is still there. Might be able to find area with black light, I haven't had much success with the black light.

Koteburo June 7th, 2013 04:18 PM

I've seen at the drycleaners a set of Urine destroyer and black light. With the lamp you have to go through the area to find the spots where they pee once you have located it use the liquid. Of course you can get it separately and choose the brands you like.
Here's a picture of the lamp
[IMG]http://caturineodor.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/small-cat-urine-blacklight.jpg[/IMG]
In any grocery store or pet store you can find the urine cleaner. Usually an enzymatic solution. If you are weary of chemicals you can also try a good ol fashion cleaning with a soft soapy solution and after that some good old vinegar at 50% and leave it there. Vinegar is REALLY efficient to fight odors.

Once that happened to my mom and we couldn't locate the spot so what I did is I just mopped the whole area normally and then with a clean mop with the vinegar solution. Your friend's place will smell like vinegar for a few hours but it will fade away and you'll end up with no smells at all. If it comes back repeat the operation a few times until completely eradicated.

lindapalm June 7th, 2013 09:55 PM

I use 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup alcohol, and a cup of water mixed together for my rugs, but I don't know how it would work for hardwood.

Koteburo June 8th, 2013 01:02 PM

[QUOTE=lindapalm;1058450]I use 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup alcohol, and a cup of water mixed together for my rugs, but I don't know how it would work for hardwood.[/QUOTE]

vinegar and water work good on hardwood, not alcohol though it will create white stains, but it's an awesome recipe for carpets I didn't know about and I bet it works well too :thumbs up

Zippo The Cat June 8th, 2013 02:37 PM

Cat Urine Smell

Cat Urine, consists of three, chemical parts, the third part is made up of Uric Acid; the uric acid in the urine consists of salts and crystals that give off the extremely pungent odors. An all-natural paint additive named Air-ReNu, has been developed that continuously removes, odors caused by cat urine.

sandyrivers August 27th, 2013 07:01 PM

Found the solution

Thanks to all who replied, finally, the enzyme spray from the pet supply store did the job! It did take, however 2 times of spraying, and we had to mix salt with it as the pet store clerk instructed us.

sandyrivers