Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Pet free photography (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   First try using my macro lens-beetles (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=67840)

bendyfoot January 10th, 2010 06:37 PM

First try using my macro lens-beetles

rather than retype everything, check it out here!

[url]http://falltoclimb.wordpress.com/2010/01/10/first-attempt-with-new-macro-lens/[/url]

Love4himies January 10th, 2010 06:58 PM

Ummmmm, bendy, those are bugs :yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck:, can you please try your macro on close ups of your pups :o :D:pray:

bendyfoot January 10th, 2010 07:04 PM

I think you meant "bugs :flirt:"...hmmmm???

As for pups it's too dark now, you'll have to wait 'till tomorrow. :p

Macomom January 10th, 2010 07:04 PM

Very nice shots of your bugs.
Out of curiosity, do many beetles bite?

Love4himies January 10th, 2010 07:05 PM

[QUOTE=bendyfoot;872268]I think you meant "bugs :flirt:"...hmmmm???

As for pups it's too dark now, you'll have to wait 'till tomorrow. :p[/QUOTE]

OK, I'll be looking for them tomorrow.

BTW, the pics of your :yuck: beetles :yuck: are very good. :D

bendyfoot January 10th, 2010 07:06 PM

Hm. Many will nibble, but not many will actually HURT. The only ones I try to handle carefully are tiger beetles (they are super-duper hunters) and anything else where I can SEE the bitey bits.:D

Love4himies January 10th, 2010 07:08 PM

[QUOTE=bendyfoot;872271]Hm. Many will nibble, but not many will actually HURT. The only ones I try to handle carefully are tiger beetles (they are super-duper hunters) and anything else where I can SEE the bitey bits.:D[/QUOTE]

geeze if only there was a smile for a choking person :yuck: :laughing:

Macomom January 10th, 2010 07:09 PM

Are the beetles down with being picked up? Do they care?

bendyfoot January 10th, 2010 07:13 PM

I would say that it's pretty safe to scoop up most beetles with your bare hand. I try to never close my hand on one (unless it's something I KNOW is wimpy like a ladybug or weevil)...I learned the hard way grabbing a praying mantis (true, not a beetle, but still) that sometimes they "grab" back, ouch! If you see one poking around a leaf or the ground and let it walk onto your hand, that's for sure no biggie. Smaller beetles...no biggies, even if they nip it won't hurt. Any beetle I'm not sure about, or really big ones, I grab on its sides, behind the head...kind of in the same place you would a crayfish if that makes sense...

Macomom January 10th, 2010 07:16 PM

What about those nasty flying beetles who live on pine trees? We used to call them pine beetles...I remember those being nasty, bitey bugs.
Do they really bite, or was it a cruel country myth?

bendyfoot January 10th, 2010 07:19 PM

they could probably pinch...they've got strong mandibles (bitey bits) for chewing wood. I would be fine with one walking on me, but wouldn't close my hand on one...it would probably try to get away. If I wanted to hang onto it, I'd hold it by the sides. BTW if you find some, put them in a baggie for me, I need more. :D

ETA you've got the name pretty close : it's Pine Sawyer Beetle. They're longhorns.

Oh and almost all beetles fly.

hazelrunpack January 10th, 2010 09:44 PM

Pine sawyer beetles bite? :o Hmmmm...hazel'll have to be more careful of them in the future. :D

Nice pics, bendy!! Those dark ones with the big mandibles torment the dogs. They hang off their fur and jowls and drive them nuts :laughing: :o

Frenchy January 10th, 2010 09:56 PM

Cool bugs Bendy !! :thumbs up

Marcha January 10th, 2010 11:28 PM

I am sooooo envious of the macro. I was hoping and praying that Santa thought I'd been good enough last year to get a macro. Nope. So I'll be an even better girl this year to see if Santa will bring me one. :pray::pray::pray: Until then, I will make do with cropping the bejeezus out of 10mpx extra large photos and the auto-macro to get that teeny detail that I *really* wanted to catch.:(

I love your bug photos and it looks like you're getting the hang of the lens too.

growler~GateKeeper January 11th, 2010 03:21 AM

Nice work with the macro :thumbs up

bugs in the freezer :eeew:

[QUOTE=bendyfoot;872271]Hm. Many will nibble, but not many will actually HURT. The only ones I try to handle carefully are tiger beetles (they are super-duper hunters) and anything else where I can SEE the bitey bits.:D[/QUOTE]

So is "bitey bits" the scientific term then? :D :laughing: :laughing:

Macomom January 11th, 2010 08:56 AM

Bendy,

Do I put them in the baggie when they are alive?
Then what do I do with them?

Bug stuff = Confusing

bendyfoot January 11th, 2010 09:03 AM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;872317]Pine sawyer beetles bite? :o Hmmmm...hazel'll have to be more careful of them in the future. :D

Nice pics, bendy!! Those dark ones with the big mandibles torment the dogs. They hang off their fur and jowls and drive them nuts :laughing: :o[/QUOTE]

I don't think they'd really HURT, but they might PINCH if they're feeling threatened. If you're nice to them I wouldn't worry much. Oh, and as I said to Macomom, I really think you should put some of those big-mandibled ones in a baggie and send 'em my way!!! :D

[QUOTE=growler;872380]Nice work with the macro :thumbs up

bugs in the freezer :eeew:

[COLOR="Blue"][B]:laughing::laughing:My roomates used to say that. I had a big container labeled "BUGS" so they knew not to go into it. :laughing:[/B][/COLOR]

So is "bitey bits" the scientific term then? :D :laughing: :laughing:[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. :thumbs up

[QUOTE=Macomom;872410]Bendy,

Do I put them in the baggie when they are alive?
Then what do I do with them?

Bug stuff = Confusing[/QUOTE]

Yep, pop them in a baggie while alive, then stick them in the freezer, then call me. :D Or bring it to the dog park :D:laughing:

For reals though, it's not worth anybody's time for one or two, but if you find a big haul, I'd drive over for it :D

Chris21711 January 11th, 2010 02:33 PM

Handsome looking beetles Bendy :cool:...Are they alive when you stick the skewer thingies in them?

btw - do you need any Lily Leaf Beetles, I can send you a mountain of them during the summer :frustrated:

bendyfoot January 11th, 2010 02:35 PM

Oh good gosh no, I wouldn't pin them while alive!!! I put them in the freezer...they go into hibernation...then die once they've been in there long enough. It's very humane.

Ha, lily beetles were the subject of my MSc, and you know what? I never kept any of the little buggers!!! Sure you can mail me some. :D

Chris21711 January 11th, 2010 02:42 PM

[QUOTE=bendyfoot;872509]Oh good gosh no, I wouldn't pin them while alive!!! I put them in the freezer...they go into hibernation...then die once they've been in there long enough. It's very humane.

[COLOR="Red"]Whew :)[/COLOR]

Ha, lily beetles were the subject of my MSc, and you know what? I never kept any of the little buggers!!! Sure you can mail me some. :D[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Red"]I know they were part of you MSc, we talked about it once before....I even go searching for them in the soil in spring and find babies :cloud9: and squish 'em :laughing:....earlier this year I sent some Tiger Lily bulbils in the mail and one of the little buggars hopped a ride with the bulbils and arrived breathing, so you want them dead or alive :D[/COLOR]

krdahmer January 11th, 2010 02:43 PM

:yuck: bugs on a stick.... [url=http://www.mysmiley.net][img]http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/scared/scared0011.gif[/img][/url]

Grody subjects...but awesome shots....I bet you'll get cool closeups of doggie eyes and fur and ears and paws and..... hint hint!!!! ;)

bendyfoot January 11th, 2010 03:06 PM

[QUOTE=Chris21711;872512][COLOR="Red"]I know they were part of you MSc, we talked about it once before....I even go searching for them in the soil in spring and find babies :cloud9: and squish 'em :laughing:....earlier this year I sent some Tiger Lily bulbils in the mail and one of the little buggars hopped a ride with the bulbils and arrived breathing, so you want them dead or alive :D[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

either way is good, I can always rehydrate them if they're dead

BenMax January 11th, 2010 03:50 PM

I love bugs.:lovestruck:. So pretty and if you really look at them closely, you would swear that they have expression.

My favorite are spiders. I save them from being mushed. Actually, I am an anti-musher.

Bendy - your beetles all have needles! (I am a poet and I know it)!:D

bendyfoot January 11th, 2010 04:31 PM

:yuck: spiders are gross.
you're weird.

Well, the little jumping spiders are cute. And taratulas are ok. But that's it. :yuck:

BenMax January 11th, 2010 04:39 PM

[QUOTE=bendyfoot;872542]:yuck: spiders are gross.
you're weird.

Well, the little jumping spiders are cute. And taratulas are ok. But that's it. :yuck:[/QUOTE]

I'm weird? :laughing:. Hey - I am not the one hugging beetles!

You'z be mean Bendy - real mean.

bendyfoot January 11th, 2010 04:46 PM

That's me! :evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

(I may be mean, but at least I'm not weird :p:D)

BenMax January 11th, 2010 04:48 PM

[QUOTE=bendyfoot;872549]That's me! :evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:[/QUOTE]

No schnot Sherlock! You should love ALL bugs! Spiders aren't bugs though are they?

bendyfoot January 11th, 2010 04:49 PM

nope, they are nasty, nasty arachnids :yuck:

bendyfoot January 11th, 2010 04:49 PM

And not all insects are bugs!

BenMax January 11th, 2010 04:50 PM

[QUOTE=bendyfoot;872553]nope, they are nasty, nasty arachnids :yuck:[/QUOTE]

They are not nasty Bendy. They are very interesting creatures. I love those big huge bellys and hairy legs (oops that was my ex. - now THAT was creeepy..)