Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Birds (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Anyone know what kind of bird this is? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15693)

Sneaky2006 May 31st, 2005 02:21 PM

Anyone know what kind of bird this is?

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot.
I have no clue what kind of birds these are, I am just curious... mom made a nest in the roof of our carport, here's a pic of the 2 babies.

Sneaky2006 May 31st, 2005 02:26 PM

Ha! I just saw that... she must like Ritz crackers! :)

Trinitie May 31st, 2005 02:34 PM

Can you get a picture of one of the parent birds? Chicks that age could be any type.

Cactus Flower May 31st, 2005 02:55 PM

I believe that is the Pennsylvania Ritz Vulture :D .

Princesss04 May 31st, 2005 02:58 PM

They look like pigeons to me but I am not sure it is so hard to tell what they are by just seeing the baby bird! :D

BMDLuver May 31st, 2005 02:59 PM

I would say that they are morning doves. It's very common for them to nest on ledges, flowerpots, window boxes. High enough up so cats can't get at them.

Princesss04 May 31st, 2005 03:00 PM

You are prolly right they do look alot like that! :D

raingirl May 31st, 2005 03:00 PM

They do look like young pigeons. OUr friends had some on the balcony last spring. Made their home in one of their window boxes. THe looked basically the same.

Sneaky2006 May 31st, 2005 03:05 PM

[QUOTE=Cactus Flower]I believe that is the Pennsylvania Ritz Vulture :D .[/QUOTE]Cute! There is more up there than what's in the pic... she must have cleaned my yard after the party! Thank you momma bird!!

Bmd... they kinda look the same. Here she is... it was hard getting a pic of her cause she would fly away when we'd get close.

Princesss04 May 31st, 2005 03:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture kind of like your friend it is a pigeon! :D

BMDLuver May 31st, 2005 03:13 PM

hmmmm, the red n yellow by the beak is not morning dove from what I've been able to research. Perhaps it's a pigeon... Now I'm on a mission to figure it out lol.

Princesss04 May 31st, 2005 03:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of a Morning dove and its baby!

Sneaky2006 May 31st, 2005 03:21 PM

Don't pigeons make that annoying sound??? This one doesn't make that sound and we are outside a lot lately... I hope you can figure it out, now it's driving me crazy. The babies look the same as the ones BMD posted, but the moms are different. Hmmm.

Princesss04 May 31st, 2005 03:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a 14 day old pigeon!

Princesss04 May 31st, 2005 03:24 PM

I am not sure if they are pigeons anymore or not they do not look alot like them.

Sneaky2006 May 31st, 2005 03:45 PM

I've been looking through pics and some doves look like her, but without the red in the beak... I don't know what the heck she is! Maybe she was with a certain male not of her species...??

BMDLuver May 31st, 2005 03:46 PM

The beaks are longer than the pigeons though. Perhaps the one we are seeing is the male Morning Dove. I know in the bird world that Males have more color.. so maybe the red n yellow by the beak lets the gals know he's a hotty? Watch to see if another one comes that doesn't have the coloring then might have our answer. :thumbs up

Sneaky2006 May 31st, 2005 03:49 PM

So you think the pic I have is the male, not the momma? That would make sense.

BMDLuver May 31st, 2005 03:50 PM

Well, that would explain the slight difference in coloration and pairs do take turns caring for the young. So maybe.. lol

Sneaky2006 May 31st, 2005 03:56 PM

I'll go out later tonight and check... maybe she takes the late shift?? lol

chico2 May 31st, 2005 04:16 PM

I have a Mourning-Doves nest in my Blue Spruce,yours is definetly a pigeon,I have lots of those too coming to my feeders and they come in all colours,just leave them be and they will soon be strong enough to fly off..
The male and fmale doves look the same,except the male is a bit bigger.The picture you showed is that of a pigeon.
Personally I think the cooing sound the pigeons make,during mating-time is very soothing.
I tried to post my picture of my mourning-doves,but for some reason it's not working.

chico2 May 31st, 2005 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll try again...here they are,last year in my Blue spruce..

Sneaky2006 May 31st, 2005 04:24 PM

Thanks Anita!!

Princesss04 June 1st, 2005 09:12 AM

Well you do have pigeon friends than! LOL You will have to post more pictures! The babies are kind of ugly but they will be cute soon! :D They will be out pets.ca pigeons. :D

lilith_rizel June 1st, 2005 09:44 AM

Speaking of not knowing what kind of birds are what, there are 2 ducks at the lake that I have never seen before. One is black (with shinny green head) and a white chest, the other looks like it is half seagull half duck. I will take a picture of the two today, and see what you guys think.

Rita June 1st, 2005 11:47 AM

The picture of Momma Bird certainly looks like a pigeon .... keep in mind that a pigeon is actually part of the dove family (rock dove) and comes in many different colours ... that may be why people are confusing if with a mourning dove. Momma Bird is definitely not a mourning dove. May be a rock dove (pigeon) or another type of dove that is common in your area.
Great pictures ... would love to see more as the babies grow :thumbs up

lilith_rizel June 1st, 2005 12:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok here is one of the ducks, tried to get a side view picture, but he flew away..... any ideas what it could be?

lilith_rizel June 1st, 2005 02:28 PM

James said the only thing he could think it would be would be a pelican, but not too sure about it.

Princesss04 June 1st, 2005 03:17 PM

It is not a pelican they have long beaks, I am not sure what it is I will do some looking and see what I can find. :D

chico2 June 1st, 2005 04:01 PM

No,it's definetly not a Pelican :D
I checked my North American bird-book,I see no duck that looks anything like this one,it actually looks like a mix of a Duck and an Albatross :eek:
The bill is definetly that of some sort of Duck and there are many different kinds.