Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Senior dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Metroconizole (sp?) & persistent diarrhoea (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=83839)

devani132 April 21st, 2013 05:07 AM

Metroconizole (sp?) & persistent diarrhoea

Hi all, I joined this forum after reading a post on metroconizole. it's been prescribed for my 11 yo beagle. I've only given the first dose.. And was wondering how long it might take to work if anyone has used it before? My other beagle (7yo) has started to have the same symptoms.. The diarrhoea is runny, small to medium amounts, 4-5 times a day, yellows to brown in colour w traces of blood and very slimey. Both dogs are eating a bland diet, are a little more sleepy than they usually are but otherwise responsive. The diarhhea has persisted for a week for the older dog. The vet said he'd try him on anti bio in case it was giardia or a inflammatory bowel disease but hasn't run any blood tests or tests on stools yet. Love my beagles and worry about them when they're not well.

Winston April 21st, 2013 06:32 AM

I have used it in the past and I believe it was a couple of days. Have you modified their diet at all while they have the runs? I used to give plain white rice instead of kibble but really only in dire situations.

What worked for me was pumpkin. The plain pumpkin not the pie filling and I would put the remaining pumpkin in ice cubes trays in the freezer for next time so you don't waste the whole can. Pumpkin works in both situations where your dog may be constipated it helps that way as well. Make sure they stay hydrated as well.

Good Luck :thumbs up

hazelrunpack April 21st, 2013 10:23 AM

Metroconizole or metronidazole? The first is used to treat yeast infections, the second is often used to treat the underlying cause of diarrhea... So I'm thinking maybe it was metronidazole?

At this point I think I'd bring in stool samples to have your vet run a fecal analysis. If your other dog is also getting diarrhea and nothing has changed (they're eating the same food as always, no excessively stressful occurrences like a death in the family or a move, etc), then likely they're picking something up from the environment. There are a number of different things it could be and not all are treatable with metronidazole--but a fecal analysis is probably going to discover what organism is causing the problem.

Keep a close eye--if it's something like campylobacter it can get pretty severe. Excessive diarrhea can cause dehydration--especially if one or the other develops vomiting, too. We've had dogs that needed overnight IV rehydration at the vet clinic while fighting campylobacter.

I hope your beagles are better soon! :goodvibes: Keep us posted, pls.