Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Dogs puppies and Hiccups - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=8832)

Mysts38 October 29th, 2004 10:50 AM

Dogs puppies and Hiccups - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden

Hannah gets em at least 3 times a day..usually a good chest massage gets rid of them..but I notice she gets em when playing alot and eating....

schnauzerlove October 29th, 2004 10:53 AM

Good question...why??

My 16 week old Mini Schnauzer also gets the hiccups alot. Not 3 times a day, but at least once a day. I'd love to know why too :confused: !!

jackie c October 29th, 2004 10:54 AM

jackie C

I have been told puppies and kittens get hic cups alot when little because it means a growing spurt is coming. Made since when I had puppies because once they finished growing I have rarely noticed hic cups.

Iggette October 29th, 2004 10:58 AM

Buddy also hiccups at least once a day.....so not unusal but don't know why :confused:...He is 16 months old :confused:

schnauzerlove October 29th, 2004 11:00 AM

Hmmmm....

I guess Mysts38 that means your Hannah is growing 3 times as fast as my Jimmy....Golden Retriever and Mini Schnauzer....makes sense! :D

schnauzerlove October 29th, 2004 11:00 AM

Sorry....

[QUOTE=Iggette]Buddy also hiccups at least once a day.....so not unusal but don't know why :confused:...He is 16 months old :confused:[/QUOTE]

16 WEEKS old (gotta learn to proof)!!

schnauzerlove October 29th, 2004 11:02 AM

I guess I did proof....

[QUOTE=MomtoJimShelby]16 WEEKS old (gotta learn to proof)!![/QUOTE]
You were talking about Buddy. He STILL gets the hiccups at 16 months? He must be still growing.

Mysts38 October 29th, 2004 11:27 AM

FOUND THE ANSWER-Well sort of

Q: I have a 12 week old shih tzu who has frequent cases of the
hiccups. They don't last long... sometimes they are silent and I can see his body shake and other times they are lound and disturb him. Should I be alarmed??

Joanne

A: Hello Joanne,
Hiccups are common in little puppies - they are no cause of concern. Most puppies will outgrow the severe hiccups by 6 months.

Dr Andrew J

I was also readin that dogs get hiccups,cause they ingest too much air..which would account for hannah getting em while shes eating and playing hard...

petdr November 4th, 2004 01:14 PM

Dogs puppies and Hiccups

Hiccups are presumed to be a vestigal reminder of the womb: the lungs need some type of strengthing exercise while in a watery environment. Hiccups are a means to exercise the diaphragm, the wide sheet of muscle that seperates the abdomen from the thorax, until the fetus is delivered into a dry environment and must rely on exchanging gases via the lungs.

Hiccups are normal.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490