Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   My Friday rant (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=18353)

her122 August 12th, 2005 04:51 PM

My Friday rant

I felt the need to rant......

It started the other day while I was walking Ocean. On the way back the neighbours across the street and up a bit asks me if Ocean is male/female then if she is fixed. When I told her yes, she said that that was too bad cause I could have made some money. She then went on to tell me that her 'lab' is 2 years old and that him and my baby would have made cute puppies. Now my baby would have cute puppies no matter who she had puppie with. She also told me that they had mated her dog with her nieghbours and the puppies were sooooo cute. Looking at the neighbours dog (from across the street) she looked like a Golden.

A few days later I was outside with Ocean and one of the kids. Across the street I see a dog on a front lawn. Now I know that neighbour dosen't have a dog. I wait and keep watching. The dog moves over the next yard. Now I notice that it looke like the Golden from up the street. I go across the street and sure enough it is the mom but she is NOT a Golden. Her face looks terrier and the rest of her I don't know. She has no collar so I can't put a leash on her, so I do the silly noises and nice words to get her to follow me. I get within' 3 houses of where she belongs and someone finally notices that I am coming up the street with their dog. Some people. Then the puppies (soooo cute BUT) are crawling all over the poarch, up and down the stairs, all over the frint grass. There is no gate, no nothing. Nothing to stop them from going out onto the road (a major street that trucks and stuff come down). I mean they didn't even notice mom was gone, how hard would it be for a little 6week old puppy to sneak by one of them. Then their neighbour comes out, the one who owns the dad. She says to him 'ours are cruising up and down the stairs, how about yours?". So not only was there one litter, there was TWO. Talk about BYB. Some people.

My other rant of the day is kids.......

I have always taught my kids some basic rules when it comes to dogs.
1. Don't touch or go near dogs when there is no one around, and then only when you have asked the owners permission. Let's face it, not all dogs like kids. And thats fine.
2. If you are out and there is a dog without someone with it, stay away and don't make eye contact. If possible go into a store or something. Cause once again, you never know. Not everyone raises there dog in the nicest way.
3. Always always always treat a dog with respect. Dogs don't always understand that just because the person on the left was mean to them dosen't mean that the person on the right will be.
4. Just because you can put your hands in Ocean's mouth, play with her food, and run around like mad around her.... dosn't mean that you can do that with other dogs.

Now I love it when the kids get to pet other dogs, I encourage it often. I don't care about breed. The kids have said something once about pitbulls that they had heard from their mother and I quickly set that one straight (pissed me off, and I don't even own a pitbull). Size dosn't bother me. But when they are petting a dog I don't know, you better bet I am right there beside them (usually to pet the dog as well, but also just incase). And in turn, when some one is petting Ocean, I am right there to make sure she dosn't get over excited.

I really dislike it when people run around ignorant. I had a kid run up to Ocean that was still wearing diapers and the mother didn't even notice until the kid was within 2 feet of the dog. Then if Ocean would have bit the kid it would have been my fault. And I was still 2 houses away from where they were. I hate it when people are scared of Ocean just because of her size. I mean come on, at least give her a chance. I am very careful about raising her right. She loves people, she dosn't care about age or race. She likes to meet other dogs. And she even enjoys meeting new cats (as long as they are nice to her :P). And she only barks when she is on her own property. And then only with dogs she dosn't know. She only wants to say hi. :sad:

*sigh* ok, i feel a little better. If you took the time to read it all, thank you, that was very kind. I just needed to get some things off my chest. Now I am going to take Ocean out and see how many people cross to the other side of the street. *sigh*

shannon1233A August 12th, 2005 05:34 PM

I read your whole post :) and really feel for you and Ocean. I have to say, you sure sound like a loving mommy to Ocean, and can only wish your neighbours were as caring :mad: I hope you're feeling better. Ocean and the children are lucky to have such a responsible mommy :angel:

her122 August 12th, 2005 06:40 PM

oooooops, I'm sorry for posting in the wrong spot. I didn't notice this one.... I'll try not to do it again.

:sorry:

DogueLover August 12th, 2005 10:35 PM

I get that all the time

I am not sure why people cross to the other side of the street when they see me and my dogues coming down the street. I mean come on now, yes they are big but they are not man eaters like most people comment.
What breed is Ocean?
When I take C`Zarr out for his walks I always get bombarded with kids wanting to touch him because he is so big. Most adults turn white, and those who say they are "brave enough" ask me if he bites before they ask if they can pet him. This dog is the most laid back, easy going, gentle soul I have ever known. It just makes me laugh when they carry on the way they do.
What are you going to do though? Some people just assume because they are big they are mean.... what a joke.
Anyway, just wanted you to know you are not alone. ;)

White Wolf August 12th, 2005 10:39 PM

[QUOTE=her122]oooooops, I'm sorry for posting in the wrong spot. I didn't notice this one.... I'll try not to do it again.

:sorry:[/QUOTE]
Don't worry about it. It was easy to move. :)

Joey.E.CockersMommy August 12th, 2005 10:45 PM

her122=
[QUOTE]sigh* ok, i feel a little better. If you took the time to read it all, thank you, that was very kind. I just needed to get some things off my chest. Now I am going to take Ocean out and see how many people cross to the other side of the street. *sigh*[/QUOTE]

perhaps people are crossing the street not becuse of OCean but because of their own dog, maybe they havent trained them well enough to pass another dog nicely yet. :)