Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Capstar vs flea bath? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=82111)

Abu's mom September 2nd, 2012 03:08 PM

Capstar vs flea bath?

I looked at the side effects of Capstar, and I didn't like them. I have a 14 year old cat that it's pretty good during flea baths. Is there a reason that Capstar is a better option, other than the convenience factor of not having to bathe him?

Kittylover23 September 15th, 2012 08:27 PM

[QUOTE=Abu's mom;1045537]I looked at the side effects of Capstar, and I didn't like them. I have a 14 year old cat that it's pretty good during flea baths. Is there a reason that Capstar is a better option, other than the convenience factor of not having to bathe him?[/QUOTE]

Huh, I'm not too sure (I have never used Capstar before) but a flea bath sounds like the better option to me. Could you possibly go with something safer, such as Revolution? I use Revolution on my feral Lucky all the time and he has never had any issues. :thumbs up

Love4himies September 16th, 2012 07:24 AM

I only use vet approved flea control on my cats (Revolution) so I, personally would stick to that. I've never heard of Capstar before.

Barkingdog September 16th, 2012 03:25 PM

[QUOTE=Kittylover23;1046442]Huh, I'm not too sure (I have never used Capstar before) but a flea bath sounds like the better option to me. Could you possibly go with something safer, such as Revolution? I use Revolution on my feral Lucky all the time and he has never had any issues. :thumbs up[/QUOTE]

I gave my cats Brewers' Yeast tablets to help keep fleas off them, I had to hide the box as one cat loved to eat them like candy.

Kittylover23 September 16th, 2012 03:43 PM

[QUOTE=Barkingdog;1046481]I gave my cats Brewers' Yeast tablets to help keep fleas off them, I had to hide the box as one cat loved to eat them like candy.[/QUOTE]

LOL, that is a great idea, I will look into this further! Thanks! :D

Abu's mom September 16th, 2012 04:38 PM

Capstar appears to be a US vet approved only thing. I wondered, when the topic was viewed so many times without answers. This is why I like coming to this website-we get so many professionals here that don't want us making informed health decisions! It is an oral drug that works for 24 hours only (from what the vet said), only killing living fleas. My cat has had a few vets fail giving him oral meds-that is more traumatic for him than a bath. Frontline is now working very well.

Thank you very much!

Abu's mom July 15th, 2013 10:50 PM

I thought I'd let you all know....

Since I posted this topic, I did some research on the Capstar. What I found is the main ingredient in it is nicotine!

Recently, I bought generic Frontline, and it didn't work. We had the fleas all over again. I've managed to get Frontline Plus cheaper, through Ebay. HOWEVER, you really have to watch when you buy from there. People that say they are selling "kits" usually are selling generic Frontline Plus. I've discovered that you can buy the kind for larger dogs, 89-132lbs, and get 8 doses, but it seems to lose its potency after about 4 months. That works perfect for me, since it looks like my son and his cat, Abraham, 2 yrs old, are staying permanently. :thumbs up