Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Purebred red Persian/Mtl. (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=13356)

Lucky Rescue March 22nd, 2005 08:34 PM

Purebred red Persian/Mtl.

1 Attachment(s)
Simon is a gorgeous Persian, about 4 yrs old. He is nicknamed "Mr.Snorty" for the odd noises he makes! He is a sweet docile lovebug, both neutered AND DECLAWED. He gets on very well with dogs and cats! He is badly matted and has a grooming appointment on April 7th. Whoever adopts him will get the grooming for free!

To adopt Simon, please call Debbie at (450) 424-0455 or email [email]luckyrescue@hotmail.com[/email]

P.S. He's at my house. :rolleyes:

meb999 March 22nd, 2005 08:42 PM

awwwww, he's cute :p look at his little nose.....adorable!

Sneaky2006 March 22nd, 2005 08:43 PM

Omg Lucky, how can you not stare at that face all day long???? He's gorgeous!!!!!
Is he gonna get shaved? If he does I hope you post a pic of a cute lil lion when it's done. :D

Lucky Rescue March 22nd, 2005 08:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE]how can you not stare at that face all day long???[/QUOTE]

I'll control myself somehow.:p Actually, this poor baby is so frightened at losing the only home he knew. I feel so sorry for him.:(

Sneaky2006 March 22nd, 2005 09:46 PM

That is so sad to think about. It makes me want him soooo bad :( But I know I can't have him. :sad:

CyberKitten March 22nd, 2005 10:20 PM

I wonder if he is snorting because of problems with his nose - you know how Persians in particular with their flat faces and noses are prone to respiratory infections. I am guessing he has been vetted but it is so common amg Persians that I just wondered.

happycats March 22nd, 2005 10:24 PM

What an beauty, I'm sure you'll have no trouble rehoming him!!

Lucky Rescue March 23rd, 2005 11:25 AM

[QUOTE]I wonder if he is snorting because of problems with his nose [/QUOTE]

I have no doubt that his snorting and wheezing is because of the extreme shortness of his nose. I got this from a Persian site:

[QUOTE]It is normal for a Persian or Exotic to make snorting or wheezing noises, especially if he is excited. He may even pant like a dog during strenuous exercise, or if overheated. Do not confuse this breed characteristic with illness![/QUOTE]

I think it's a darn shame to breed animals to the point where they can't do things normally.:(

canine14 March 23rd, 2005 02:32 PM

Tell me about it - like defecate properly in the case of a Manx.

Lisa.

Lucky Rescue March 23rd, 2005 04:16 PM

Whoever adopts Simon, who is a very loving and affectionate boy, BTW, has to be someone who loves this breed (I'm not one of them) and who understands that he is high maintenance.

Regular eye cleaning and cleaning the folds on his face (I just did it and he's very used to it and is very good about it) and grooming on a daily basis, never going outside, special wide shallow bowls to eat from..sigh

Copper'sMom March 23rd, 2005 07:04 PM

I had a tabby coloured Persian 12 years ago or more. I still miss her. I adopted her from a lady who had to busy of a lifestyle and had no time for her. I was about 14 or 15 years old at the time! My mom wouldn't allow me to have her at home, so my neighbour allowed me to keep her at her house.(I used to housesit, petsit and babysit for her!!) The only time Tabby would come out of hiding is when she heard my voice when I walked in the door. Eventually, my Mom let her come and live with us. I paid all of her vet bills with my babysitting money. She became ill and I had taken her to the vet a a couple of times. She was scheduled to go in again but she passed away one morning after I left for school. I never new what was wrong with her and I never got to say goodbye :sad: . Even after so many years, she is still in my heart. :angel:

I hope this fellow gets a good home. Unfortunately my house is full!

CyberKitten March 24th, 2005 12:51 AM

I agree about the breeding of Persians and breeding for what is essentially a defect - people can be so cruel and stupid!!!

I am not a Persian person either even though I think they are beautiful and very friendly - mostly because they tend to be loved. It is awful when you find a Persian wonderin gthe streets. Because they are so high maintenance, they are usually in such horrible shape when rescued!! I hope Simon gets a great forever home! I've seen some of the before and after pix of rescued Persians on the rescue sites for the breed and they are not pretty - matted hair that usuually needs to be just clipped. VERY sad!

chico2 March 24th, 2005 10:09 AM

Lucky,I am glad he's in your house :thumbs up I too am no fan of Persians,they look like they ran into a truck :D
But a cat is a cat,is a cat,no matter what they look like :love:
I'm sure once groomed and fixed up,someone will want him,after all he is a purebred.
My Rocky also snorts at times and snores like my hubbie,of course i do not snore :rolleyes: The vet could find nothing wrong with Rockys respiratory system.

Princesss04 March 24th, 2005 10:30 AM

I think he is SO cute although I think people need to stop breeding and mixing animals. I still think he is cute and gets a wonderful home. :D

Lucky Rescue March 25th, 2005 12:46 PM

Well, "Mr.Snorty" has been rehomed - with his groomer! Can't think of a better place for him. I'm sure had she known he was being given away, she would have offered immediately and spared him the stress of coming here first.

I must say, when he first came out of his carry case at my place, I was horrified and thought "What IS this thing??" but his adorable personality and cuddliness won me over!!

Princesss04 March 25th, 2005 02:12 PM

Good for you Mr. Snort I am so glad he found his forever home. That is a good place for him since he will need to be groomed. :D

chico2 March 25th, 2005 04:34 PM

That's good to hear,he actually is kind of cute....a kissable little face. :love:

Sneaky2006 March 26th, 2005 01:16 AM

That's great!!!!

I don't know what you guys are talking about... I think he's very cute! :love: :love:

happycats March 26th, 2005 10:00 AM

WOOOO HOOOO another happy ending (sniff sniff, I just love happy endings)

Shamrock March 26th, 2005 04:39 PM

I also think Mr Snorty is lovely!
Once his grooming needs are met and maintained, his coat will grow out to be gorgeous. :thumbs up
I'm so glad to hear that he has found a home with a person can look after his needs, Lucky. That is great news.

Lost or uncared for Persians do become an absolute mess in no time.
Their long fur matts and quicky becomes dirty, pickings up twigs and leaves from the ground. Their eyes run and become crusty,their faces get stained. Sometimes feces become stuck to their back ends. Poor little things are feeling and looking ghastly.

They are, I believe, the most common purebred cat found in rescues.
A fluffy persian kitten is adorably irrestible, but many people dont fully consider the special requirements that keep them looking lovely. Grooming isnt optional for these guys -its an absolute must.

I've two persian cats, the male adores combing, but the female hates it. She becomes stressed and will scratch. I really wish she didnt have this long fur, as she needs help with it, but will not allow it.
I keep her in a lion cut all the time, my only recourse :(
So, while they are very high maintenance, if the cat is not receptive, regular groomer visits are required also, to keep the fur in a short "do". Some people do the shaving themselves. Not something I care to try :crazy: ..

Persians are generally exceptionally gentle and sweet cats,with laid back and calm dispositions. :angel: I love their personalites. :love:
Because of their short legs and body, their not big jumpers either. You'll never usually find them on your tables, countertops or any "forbidden" places. A big bonus. ;)

chico2 March 26th, 2005 05:08 PM

Shamrock,I did not mean anything bad,all cats are cute to me...but I would not choose a Persian,if he ended up on my doorstep,of course I would care for him and love him just the same,grooming and all.
:love:

Shamrock March 26th, 2005 06:06 PM

Chico, yes, I understand totally what you were meaning - that they would not be your preference.
The persian cat is most definitely a distinctive breed,and not everyone's cup of tea. Aside from their grooming requirements, some people just dont care for their look - especially the extreme-faced persians.
Both of mine are not extreme, but considered the doll-faced persian. (not showable)
As I'd mentioned, I really wish Miranda was a short-haired cat. Her fur has caused me (and her) no end of trouble.
So, as much as I do love and admire the persians - when I decided on a third cat recently, I opted for a long-haired but much easier to maintain breed.. a Ragdoll. :)

Lucky Rescue March 26th, 2005 06:28 PM

[QUOTE]They are, I believe, the most common purebred cat found in rescues.[/QUOTE]
Agree. We've had more Persians (and Siamese for some reason - maybe more common?) than any other purebred. I think our other Persians were what you call "doll face" - flat faces but with definite noses!

People want what they want on a whim, and don't stop to consider that purebred Persians, especially extreme ones like Simon, are TOTAL maintenence.

I had him only for 4 days, but had to clean his eyes and the folds on his face a couple times a day. And of course they need daily and thorough grooming. I think breeding cats who cannot even function normally is very sad.:(

I've been chatting with a Persian breeder, and some of them cannot even eat unless they have their noses cleaned before every meal.

I always heard that Persians were stupid and lazy, with no personality at all. This is NOT true! I would never, ever own one, but I now find them to be very endearing, if Simon is a good example.:)

I hate seeing any animal lose it's home, but in Simon's case it was a blessing for him. I was at his owner's house, and she has de-barked dogs and declawed cats, and if dog or cat has matted fur, it gets shaved rather than being groomed on a regular basis. :mad: A big THUMBS DOWN to people like that!!

CyberKitten March 26th, 2005 07:12 PM

"Ahem!!" -- Yin Yin asked me to tell you Luck that "there is nothing common about Siamese", Hmmmmph! Or is that an indignant meeeeeooooooooeeeeeerrrrrrrr!

<kidding>

Seriously, I know what you meant, lol. They are probably the most popular and best known breed of purebred cats. I think Persians, because they have been bred since the 40's and 50's, are also uhm common or popular, ;)

I cannot imagine anyone both debarking and declawing animals - well, labs I suppose. Gawd, Simon is indeed lucky to get out of there!! And fortunate to have a home with a groomer. That is such a match made in heaven, imho!

chico2 March 27th, 2005 10:01 AM

My friends 19yr old choclate point Siamese,Winslet,can wake up the dead when she meows :D :D His other two are quiet.Winslet probably weighs no more than 5 lb's but boy,is she active and as bossy as ever at 19yrs old :D
Shamrock I would love to see pics of your cats,the Persians and certainly the RagDoll...or did you already show us and I missed it?
Ragdolls are usually extreemly beautiful... :love:

CyberKitten March 27th, 2005 11:32 AM

You like long haired kitties don't you Chico? I am thinking of your love for Maine Coons - I think of you when I see one :)

Yin Yin does not yet wake up the dead and she has a rather quiet meow for a Siamese. But on the occasion she gets stuck in a room (someone shuts the door - I take her to work now. My GP friend who raises Yorkies also takes hers - we are trying to start a pet therapy group.), the yowl can be heard throughout the building and my office is in an annex that is rented by the Univ attached to the hospital.

She talks a blue streak through - and she has very specific moods and tones to her meeeorws and meeeooooowwws and mrrrrrrows. Strangely, she rarely meows to be fed - I guess she is secure and knows where the vittles are - but she will talk when she sees her favs - chicken, lobster, turkey, seafoood. She likes sardines (yuck!) too.

On Thursday, a 10 year old called me himself to ask if YY would be there when he came for his visit - he just wanted to make sure. He was making her an Easter gift in art class. (She is getting a fan club, lol)

Lucky Rescue March 27th, 2005 11:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Being with Lucky Rescue, I"ve had the opportunity to be around and care for many breeds of cats that I would never have otherwise.

We've had:
Persians
Siamese
Maine Coons
Exotic Shorthair
Manxes
Abyssinian
Russian Blue
Silver Mackerel Tabby

I loved them all, but if I had to choose one of them, it would be the Siamese or the Aby! I loved the Maine Coons because I adore huge tomcats and the two we had were 23 and 26 lbs, but I don't like the longhair - too much work.

The one I would probably not take would be the Manx and definitely NOT the Persian!

Yeah, like I can pick and choose. I had to give up the two gorgeous Siamese who I wanted so badly to keep because I'm saddled with this: :sad:

Shamrock March 27th, 2005 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Awww.. what a great shot of Stinkerbelle, Lucky! She is beautfiul girl.. I love her unique markings.

Chico, I have posted pics of my cats some time ago... but like all of us....love to show them off. ;)

This is my Ragdoll boy, Zackary. I adopted him from a local shelter this Feb, so he's the new kid here. Full of energy, gets into mischief... Hurricane Zack I call him. :D

Shamrock March 27th, 2005 02:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Basil, Himalayan Male. In spite of his 'ticked off" look, he is sweet and gentle as a lamb,a very timid boy.
His massive coat requires lots of combing and his eyes need daily wiping.

Shamrock March 27th, 2005 02:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Miranda is a silver persian. They are generally smaller in size than other Persian colours. She is a tiny five pounds, but healthy, and with major cattitude!
All the animals, including the dog, step aside for her.... :D