Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   My bc knows how to open the door! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=9264)

CaneCorso81 November 9th, 2004 12:24 PM

My bc knows how to open the door!

This mornining I opened the garage door and walked out to my car. Soon as I get in my car, I saw Riley coming to me. I called his name and he got so excited and jumped in my car. He thought we are going for a ride. I was like huh.. I thought I shut the door behind so I took him back inside. This time I closed the garage door and wanted to test him. I went in the garage with door closed and stood there to wait for him to open the door. He did open the door and I think that my older dog,Emmy, who died about a month ago must have taught him how to open the door. She knew many tricks and was good at observing us doing something. She used to let herself in a room where she wasn't supposed to be. Also, she knew how to push or move the baby gate and Riley does this sometimes too..

One time, she was supposed to stay outside when we had visitors coming over. She opened the outside door and walked in the kitchen. She jumped on the counter and took the steak to outside while we weren't there to watch her. She is ok with visitors, but my parents and I don't trust her with them alone. We usually keep her outside or in my parents room til visitors leave. My other dogs and she ate the steak when my sister found the door opened. She closed and locked the door. When we were ready for our dinner and we couldn't find the steak anywhere. My sister went outside to play with Emmy and other dogs. She found some tear up boxes from steak...

It looks like we will have to lock our doors all the time again!

Do you have dogs who do this or drive you nut? : :)

tyr November 9th, 2004 02:55 PM

Aren't animals amazing!!!!? I love hearing about things like this. I do not have a dog but one of my cats does things similar to this. My cat Jesse is very smart. He loves opening doors (stands on hind legs, puts paws on door handle, grasps and turns body to the right to turn the handle and voila!), drawers and cupboards. I have to put a safety lock on the cupboards under my sink to keep him from getting near toxics. I also have to put a lock on my spare bedroom door due to recent events to keep him out of there for a while. When I first got him two years ago (with Fidel through the shelter) I was amazed as I watched him go around my house and open EVERYTHING to see what was inside:) Then we moved a few months ago and again the search started. It is amazing because he is declawed (not by my doing). He uses his little paws like human hands. He always holds on to one of my fingers like a little baby does - he has a great grasp! Now Fidel likes opening the lower cupboards because it is a great place to hide when scary strangers come over :D And the Orlando (the new baby) has started trying to open the doors by putting his paws under the door and pulling forward! Not quite at the level of turning the handle with his paws - but I can see it in his future :D

It is not unbelievable that your dog has picked up this new trick from an old dog - what a smarty you have!!!!:)

Thanks for sharing!

Cinnabear November 9th, 2004 03:42 PM

Smart dog you have Cane. :D I'm smell trouble in your future. :D :D

Bugsy November 10th, 2004 02:15 AM

Yup, Bugsy can open all doors except doors with round doorknobs (not yet anyway lol). Took me a while to figure out he had figured it out, awhile and
many many pairs of shoes :eek:

The 2 of them get together and open my pantry door....and go grocery shopping when I'm not home. My Saint learned this from my Neo and he learned it from my Rottie.

Gotta love them :angel:

writer and cat April 25th, 2006 11:16 PM

Opening Doors

The other day I went into my kitchen to do the dishes and my cat Edgar was jumping at the back door trying to reach the handle. I said "Whatcha doin' Ed you can't open the door" I turned my back on him and went over to the sink and started to do my dishes, I turned my head to grab some dishes off the counter and I saw Edgar stretched up with his front paws around the door handle and he was turning the handle. I was shocked. I think I said his name and he slunk back onto the floor and walked out of the kitchen. I didn't know he could open doors, we found him outside a couple of times but we just thought that my husband didn't shut the door properly. After seeing him turn the handle we know Ed opens the door himself. I knew he could get into cupboards but I never thought a cat could open a door. I just found this sight and now I know he isn't the only one.

erykah1310 April 25th, 2006 11:28 PM

[QUOTE]Do you have dogs who do this or drive you nut?[/QUOTE]
as far as dogs doing things to drive me nuts no not yet anyway, i did however have a cat who would repetedly flush the toilet!!! Lid up or down didnt matter I think she liked the sound or something, this got very annoying during the night. And the crummy apartment i lived in had no handle on the door so she could just push it opened!!!!!

reddog April 26th, 2006 01:07 AM

Our Vizsla can open the door

We have a 5 year old Hungarian Vizsla and he can open the glass sliding door when it is locked. I really don't know how he does that because we have tried and tried to do it and neither my husband nor myself can open it. Luckily he hasn't learnt to open the flywire door....yet!!:fingerscr

Michelle
employee of Crank (9) :pawprint: :angel:
and Casey (5) :crazy: :evil:

Lump of Kohl April 26th, 2006 06:36 AM

Very cute stories. I have a long haired Chihuahua and I explain to people all the time that there is a reason that they are not used for seeing-eye dogs:D . You would never get them to do what you want when you needed it!

Cane, the only thing I can think of for you is putting a chain or a slide latch on the garage side of your garage door. It seems like your main concern is him getting out and getting hurt and that should keep him in. it doesn't cost much and you could install it yourself and put it high enough or low enough on the door that they couldn't manouver it.

I had proplems with my Chi :evil: escaping when I first got him and I had to finally lock his crate(:( I REALLY, REALLY hated doing that) but that only worked for a short while. I finally had to get him a bigger crate(I can fit in it, I am 5'8'' and weigh 170) where there were two latches but he wasn't as eager to get out. I tried gating him in the kitchen but he can climb, jump or scoot around or under a babygate. I realized that he only needs about 2 1/2 inches of space to escape!

Lump of Kohl April 26th, 2006 06:40 AM

Uh....how did we get on this again?

Did anyone else realize this thread was originally from [B]NOVEMBER 2004[/B]?!

jesse's mommy April 26th, 2006 05:53 PM

No problem, threads get revived all the time! :D It's great when they are the cute one's that people have stories to add.