Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Pet product reviews - dog products (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Smoochy-Poochy "No Escape" Leash (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=69878)

mummummum April 28th, 2010 07:24 AM

Smoochy-Poochy "No Escape" Leash

1 Attachment(s)
Notice all the grommets, two super-duper clasps at either end and the webbed poop bag holder:

[ATTACH]64737[/ATTACH]

Not inexpensive but worth it's wait in gold for me. I went looking for new leashes originally because: the grrrls do the happy dance alot and we kept breaking clasps, Ceili loved to "floss" with her leash, both were/ are even now incredible pullers (rotator cuff tears = 3).

So, this leash means that I can hook up the clasp at the handle end anywhere down the line where there is a grommet if I need a shorter walking lead, want to loop it around my shoulder or secure it around my waist. The two clasps also means that I can hook things securely through the handle end ~ I always carry a small bag with meds, ID, a Swiss Army knife, bandaids, mini-mag and whatever else is needed as well as a muzzle.

The double clasp is handy if one breaks (I have replaced it once in 5ish years where before we could go through a leash a year easy-peasey) and it has come in handy when I have found stray dogs as I can double-up two dogs comfortably on one lead.

The webbed poop bag holder is well... a webbed poop bag holder. Very handy!

Love love love the leash! My only complaint is that the vinyl version is quite heavy compared to nylon and when it gets bitten through (though it did take Ceili forever...) the torn edges are rough on the hand ~ easily fixed by the Queen of Duct Tape though.

luckypenny April 28th, 2010 07:36 AM

Neat, I like the idea of the grommets. Does a nylon version exist?

mummummum April 28th, 2010 07:36 AM

Yup. Less expensive too.

luckypenny April 28th, 2010 07:40 AM

And you got it where?

breeze April 28th, 2010 07:44 AM

we have one, . it works great !!
unless you are really tiny and you want to put it around your wast for hands free. There is not enough grommets on them.. :(

mummummum April 28th, 2010 07:44 AM

Sorry hun, here in Hogtown.

Hmmm...website says: nada. They don't have one. They do have a email addy: [email]info@smoochypoochy.com[/email] , tel. 416-407-8898 or 905-476-9707

Chris21711 April 28th, 2010 09:07 AM

Ethel bought one a few years back for Iggy...I don't know how often she uses it now, if at all.....she said it was cool she used to put it across the shoulder and not the waist 'cos she is tiny.

otter April 28th, 2010 11:20 AM

Very nifty looking!

[QUOTE=breeze;912544]we have one, . it works great !!
unless you are really tiny and you want to put it around your wast for hands free. There is not enough grommets on them.. :([/QUOTE]

and for the larger of sized humans, how long is the leash? by the time you bundle me up with coat, snowpants, etc. most times a five foot leash only gets around me with a foot or two to spare, Nolie ends up walking glued to my side :laughing: I've been dreaming about a seven or eight foot leash, any luck this is it?

breeze April 28th, 2010 11:22 AM

[QUOTE=otter;912636]Very nifty looking!

and for the larger of sized humans, how long is the leash? by the time you bundle me up with coat, snowpants, etc. most times a five foot leash only gets around me with a foot or two to spare, Nolie ends up walking glued to my side :laughing: I've been dreaming about a seven or eight foot leash, any luck this is it?[/QUOTE]

I'll go measure it. gimme a min.:)

Chris21711 April 28th, 2010 11:22 AM

I can't remember the exact length Otter but at least 7-8ft for sure :thumbs up

breeze April 28th, 2010 11:26 AM

the one that I have is 6ft 5 inches long.
that's not from clip to clip it is where the leash part starts at the clip to the other end of the starting of the clip.

mummummum April 28th, 2010 11:33 AM

End to end it is 6' 7" (or 2m.)

If I put it to the second to last grommet it gives a wrap around circumference of 39" and 40" of leash. If you put it to the VERY last grommet, you would have ample room but your dog would be walking directly beside you.

How tiny are we talking here ladies???? I'm 5'8" weigh about 115 lbs. and I can wear it on the first grommet~ slides down to my hips but stays on.

Chris21711 April 28th, 2010 03:12 PM

Guess my eyeballing the length is way off course.....Otter is bigger than you MMM...weightwise and tallwise I think, of course I'm just eyeballing :o

Stacer April 28th, 2010 07:29 PM

We've got a smoochy poochy too. I love it.

Tundra_Queen April 30th, 2010 07:36 AM

Hi

So let me see if I understand this,, I'm a bit slow here...u take one of the clasps and put it around your waist and hook it up to the gromets? and the other clasp hooks to the dog? Is that right?

I'm wondering if a shoemaker could make something like this...as long as a person wanted and even out of leather?

I've made dog leashes for hub's dogs before and I know there is a gromet tool...for those of you that are handy u might be able to make one yourself to the length you'd like too.

Debbie

breeze April 30th, 2010 07:48 AM

[QUOTE=Tundra_Queen;913462]Hi

So let me see if I understand this,, I'm a bit slow here...u take one of the clasps and put it around your waist and hook it up to the gromets? and the other clasp hooks to the dog? Is that right?

I'm wondering if a shoemaker could make something like this...as long as a person wanted and even out of leather?

I've made dog leashes for hub's dogs before and I know there is a gromet tool...for those of you that are handy u might be able to make one yourself to the length you'd like too.

Debbie[/QUOTE]

yup that's right :thumbs up
it looks simple to make, as long as you get the right webbing for the leash part..

mummummum April 30th, 2010 09:38 AM

Agreed. The clasps are attached to the vinyl (which has webbing inside of it btw) are sewn as well as having a grommet to hold them in place. When I get a chance I will takes closeups of the fiddly bits for you if you like.

Tundra_Queen April 30th, 2010 03:48 PM

3mums ...yes please that would be great. It's sometimes hard to understand stuff when I've never seen it before.

(Well that's my excuse and I'm stickin to it. :laughing: )

breeze April 30th, 2010 04:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
leash 6ft 5 inches

[ATTACH]64828[/ATTACH]

clasp on both ends

[ATTACH][ATTACH]64830[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

breeze April 30th, 2010 04:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Gromitts sp?

[ATTACH]64831[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]64832[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]64833[/ATTACH]

breeze April 30th, 2010 04:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
it has a "D" ring

[ATTACH]64834[/ATTACH]

and a mesh bag for poop bags :D

[ATTACH]64835[/ATTACH]

breeze April 30th, 2010 04:04 PM

Voila a hands free leash :thumbs up:thumbs up

mummummum May 2nd, 2010 04:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you Breeze ~ always a dollar short and a day late me!

I replaced the snap thingy with a marine grade stainless steel swivel snap:
[CENTER][ATTACH]64867[/ATTACH]
[/CENTER]

Mine has a rounded end but either will do. You can also get a locking swivel snap hook if you need something extra tuff. I would have preferred this type of snap to the original as it holds up much better.

otter May 4th, 2010 11:02 PM

Well... it was Nolie's gotcha day, so we got one of these too :thumbs up

Haven't really tried it out yet but I did notice they have made a few modifications to the design since the once Breeze has. The "clips" have now been replaced with your normal boring old leash clips, the same as you find on any regular leash :( I liked those other clips but I guess they weren't sturdy enough. I was also told that they aren't making a reflective design anymore.

Found ours at Global

oh.. a word of wisdom, don't ask the good looking guy in the park where he got his "smoochy poochy" :p