Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Poor Smoke! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=52324)

krdahmer May 14th, 2008 11:37 AM

Poor Smoke!

Well I packed all three girls in the new van for their turn at the vets yesturday, and other than a very heart wrenching musical ride there, they all got clean bills of health! Windy is maybe a pound overweight, and Asker has some fat deposited around her lowest nipples, but overall, in great shape (and the vet was very impressed with how healthy their coats were, wanted to know how often I brushed them.... lol... NEVER!).

Smoke is exactly the same weight she was 2 years ago. And other than having a full belly of poop (poor girl, even managed to hold it till we got home after two vets massaged it to make sure that was all it was!), Smoke only had one problem.

She has to have 2-3 teeth pulled, and they were in pretty bad shape. She always crunches her treats and food and I have never noticed any bad breath or her hesitating to eat so I was actually kind of surprised as last visit the vet said they were improving (she had a problem with her teeth early on). So on the 28th she is going in to have them out and a cleaning... another $600!!! :eek::sad:

Funny thing is, when I told hubby, unlike when I told him about Buddy's $600 teeth issue, it was no big deal.... :rolleyes:... Smoke is so daddy's girl!

My problem now is to get her to eat canned after the procedure, she is one of my picky mcgee's who won't touch canned even if she's starving! :frustrated:

ancientgirl May 14th, 2008 12:03 PM

Yay for the clean bill of health x's 3!

Poor Smoke though. If she was in pain, she seems to have hid it well.

Maybe you can try to start getting her used to canned now, so by the time she has her teeth done she will be okay with it. Can you maybe add some water to her kibble to soften up a bit? Will she eat it like that? Or maybe she likes the act of crunching:D

Love4himies May 14th, 2008 12:04 PM

Yay for your kitties being healthy.

Some cats are so stubborn with their food, man it is like they think we are going to poison them.:frustrated: Can you start the slow transition now, because I am thinking if Smoke is not feeling well after the surgery, then she is going to be really stubborn when it comes to food.

growler~GateKeeper May 14th, 2008 10:34 PM

:thumbs up for 3 clean visits

Smoke is in good company Duffy is having 1 possibly 2 pulled on the 29th. She also never showed any signs of discomfort while eating, only if you actually touch the teeth affected does she show it.

L4H has a great suggestion try to transition her to canned or ground raw starting asap, so she will eat after and hopefully stay off the krunchies. Cats can go on to eat krunchies after the gums have healed even without teeth in there, so if she really puts up a fuss about the canned/ground raw, you can at least give her back "her" food when she's better.