Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cat pooping out of litter box (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=2527)

woodsy December 7th, 2003 09:31 AM

Cat pooping out of litter box

I have 2 cats who are wonderful, and just acquired a 'rescue' dog who is great around the cats but an energizer bunny. My youngest cat who is two DOES NOT like this dog at all even though the dog does not chase or threaten him. I have noticed "cat poop" outside the litter box on the carpeting and KNOW it is the small one. What is going on and how can I break it. He has NEVER gone outside his litter box!!!

Lucky Rescue December 7th, 2003 10:48 AM

He could be stressed by the dog. Are you allowing the dog to chase the cats? He may be the sweetest dog in the world, but the cats don't know that.

The first thing is to never let the dog chase the cats at all.

Is the litterbox in a private area that the dog cannot get to? I suggest gating off a room, with the gate just high enough off the floor so the cats can get into the room, but not the dog. You might want to confine your cats there for a few days until they feel secure and then start slowing reintroducing them to the dog.

The cats must have a "safe" place where they know the dog cannot follow them.

woodsy December 7th, 2003 11:25 AM

The cats litter box is down in the laundry room where the dog cannot get to it and there is a "gate" up so he cannot get down the stairs to get to it, but the cats can. The dog does not chase the cats as my cats are use to my other two dogs but my youngest cat mickey who is two DOES NOT like this dog at all. In fact he the rescue dog will be laying in the kitchen and mickey comes right up to him and SMACKS him in the face for no apparent reason and the runs. Poor tyler the dog doesn't know what to make of it, as he has been around cats and this one is giving him a run for his money!!

Luba December 7th, 2003 12:15 PM

Give the cats their OWN litter boxes

One for each cat, cuts down on cross contamination and gives them additional privacy.

Give it a try ;)

woodsy December 7th, 2003 12:19 PM

Luba

Both of the cats have their own litter boxes which are cleaned daily. This did not start happening until I got the other dog.

drdouggie December 7th, 2003 12:55 PM

Woodsy

What I'm going to suggest sounds silly but bear with me. I have to say first off that I have not a lot of experience with cats, I just don't understand the strange creatures!!! (Please cat lovers, don't be telling me off for that last comment :) , I'm a dog woman!). I have had a few cats in my time and one cat decided she did not like the "feel" of a certain brand of cat litter on her little delicate footsies and her response was to crap behind the sofa instead. We changed her brand of cat litter and she started using the litter tray again. Have you changed cat litter brand recently, if so, maybe you've got a fussy cat (just like my old one).

Other suggestion, I know dogs are very territorial and sometimes will mark their territory in the house with poo if another dog is introduced. They will also do this to cover a scent that they don't like. Perhaps it's something similar with your cat, maybe he/she is being territorial or masking the new dogs smell with its own. I don't know if cats exhibit this sort of behaviour but I'm positive that one of our other board-friends will know and can maybe fill us in on this point about cat behaviour.

Luba December 7th, 2003 12:57 PM

hmmmmn I am stumped then

maybe kitty gettin even with u for gettin the dog

lol

:p

woodsy December 7th, 2003 01:26 PM

Luba

That is what I kinda think it is. My other two dogs are couch potatoes. One is 14 and one is 11 and he is 'use' to their being VERY slow and he will come up and rub them. The new one is an energizer bunny who moves quickly and I think this intimidates him. The other cat is fine with tyler . Tyler has some terrier in him but still does not bother the cats.
I have not changed cat litter it is the same as I always use.

mona_b December 9th, 2003 02:22 PM

I have to agree with Luba.Kitty is ticked.I had a German Shepherd years before the 2 I have now.And I also had a cat Mousey.Mousey and Cujo grew up together.They loved each other.Played,slept together ect.Well at 13 Cujo had to be put down.The hardest thing I had to do.Well I waited a while and got Tron and Yukon.What a nightmare.Mousey dispised them.Hated them with a passion.Hissed at them.The pups never chased him or bugged him.When one of them would get close,he took a swing at them.And he was a big cat.He would hide all the time.And as the pups got older,nothing changed.To him they were not Cujo.And unfortunately Mousey had to be put down.He was old and not well.So yeah I think kitty is a bit ticked.

woodsy December 9th, 2003 02:33 PM

I agree with you Mona_b!!! Mickey hates tyler, but as I said,tyler ignores him,doesn't chase him and mickey the cat stalks him incessantly and at every mopment hides behind doors and goes after him. Tyler is VERY non threatening and Mickey LOVES my other two dogs, but not this one. I was hoping with time he would settle down but today I am home from work and he is STILL going after poor tyler!

mona_b December 9th, 2003 02:38 PM

Well if Mickey doesn't stop,Tyler just might put him in his place.Haha..Give it some time.Mickey may settle down once he realizes tyler is not a threat.Or like i said,tyler puts him in his place.:D