Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cat personality traits? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=62767)

Puss'FavPerson May 14th, 2009 09:14 AM

Cat personality traits?

I'm wondering if the attitude Cookie displays is part of the tabby(ish) genetics?

Cookie, is mostly white with tabby face, "saddle" and tail.

She's young ... almost 1yr. When she was a kitten she was very attached to me and very cuddly. Now she's never cuddly with me. Never sits with me. She will permit me to head-to-head rub her and sometimes she'll purr.

What she is ALWAYS willing to do, is attack me! She has walked up and nipped the side of my leg, without provocation, quite a few times. She also does these "drive-bys" on me ... I'm walking through the house and she'll come flying at my legs and pounce at me. It's really like a shove. She doesn't treat hubby or the boys this way???

Being the only other female in the house, am I competition?

Is she P.O.'d at me 'cause I don't spend alot of time playing with her as I did when she was small? Is she trying to provoke me to play?

Or, horror of horrors, is she just mean?
:shrug:

ancientgirl May 14th, 2009 09:52 AM

I think it's just a young female cat thing. That's exactly how Oksana and Kiska were with me when they were kittens. They would constantly be on my lap, always wanting me to carry them. Now they hate being picked up, even if it's just for me to move them to a different spot, or even to clip their nails.

They still want their cuddles and pets, but it's on their terms. Just this weekend Oksana sat in my lap and slept, after not having done so for quite a few months. In fact, almost a year.

My boys are more affectionate, and Czari is also, but she's about 5 or 6 now.

phoozles May 14th, 2009 12:43 PM

I agree - I think she's just hitting adolescence where she kind of wants to be a jerk.. Alley's still like that, and she's almost 2 *sigh* :laughing:

Puss'FavPerson May 15th, 2009 07:30 AM

So it's just a matter of patience & love? That I can do ... Probably good practice for the 2-legged variety whom are quickly approaching adolescence!

Thanks for NOT saying she's just mean-spirited!:thumbs up

ancientgirl May 15th, 2009 07:50 AM

[QUOTE=Puss'FavPerson;780132]So it's just a matter of patience & love? That I can do ... Probably good practice for the 2-legged variety whom are quickly approaching adolescence!

Thanks for NOT saying she's just mean-spirited!:thumbs up[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think it's just a mellowing with maturity thing.

Jim Hall May 15th, 2009 07:58 AM

lol she wants to play she is not mad at ya thats what cats do and she knows she can get away with it as long as she isnt hurting you its allin fun imnot one to think cats are :mean or :good its all instinct and being secure in her home .

catlover2 May 15th, 2009 06:55 PM

No, Cookie's not mean. I think she's initiating play with you and annoyed that you don't play with her any more. Why don't you play with her? Does she like to fetch things and bring them back to you (little stuffed mouse, little ball of paper? etc.). Maybe she prefers one of those fishing rod types of toys. Don't play with her after she attacks and bites your leg. Say a stern "No!" and stamp your foot. But do try to initiate play with her at another time.