Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog training - dog behavior (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Peeing in the House, its long. (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=65826)

Karu'sMama September 24th, 2009 11:39 AM

Peeing in the House, its long.

Hello,
I need some advice, I'm kinda new here, I posted once a year ago. First let me introduce everybody. There's me, my 3yr old son, Karu my 2.5 yr old 50lb Rotti Mix, and Jacy my 12 week old Olde Boston Bulldogge. But my question is actually about my boyfriend's 6 month old 35lb Boxer mix, very possible mixed with lab, Lyra.

Some background. He got Lyra free off craig's list, she was supposely a 9 week old puppy but even the vet agreed she was likely younger than 6 weeks old. She was the runt of the litter. My bf has never had a larger dog before, only toy poodles growing up. Boyfriend lives alone with just him and Lyra. Me and my crew go over there on weekends. And we have been doing this since he first got her. The problem has nothing to do with the puppy since I just got her a week ago.

The problem is even though my boyfriend swears she never has accidents when its just them too. Except for a puddle here and there when hes at work, but thats to be expected with a 6 month old. When he brings her to my house or we go over there, it is a complete pee fest. We did a experiment and I left Karu at home one weekend and she never peed in the house once. This has been going on for a long time, actually shes never not peed in the house around my dog. I know it has to be a marking, submissive, or exciting peeing problem. But I can't figure out which one. It has gotten better, now she only really does it the first day/night we are over there. But its everytime u turn around there is more pee on the ground. Maybe up to 5 times an hour. We wrote it off when she was a puppy to her just getting too excited and not able to hold it but I think it is something more going on. She does get very excited when we come over and she does like to play ALOT and very rough with my dog. But its shes not always playing or even in the same room with my dog when she does this. Doesn't do it when she first greets us at the door. As far as I can tell she doesn't seem to making eye contract or seem fearful when she does this. Its just very random peeing all over the place. And I can't seem to find any trigger other than its around my dog. I have seen her do it before in his grandma's house with no dogs around, but she dogsits alot and it probably smells alot like dog in there. I dont know if it would figure out whats going on or not but she is also a tiny bit food & toy aggressive around other dogs (any tips to solve that would be great too). Karu has marked in both houses before but its very rare and its always cleaned up.

Please, any help here? Any thing I should be looking for that I might be missing to figure out what is wrong? Any ideas how to stop this?

allfurlove September 24th, 2009 09:13 PM

Have you had her urine tested at the vet? Since she is urinating so frequently I would first rule out a UTI. Is she spayed? Is she sqatting like a normal pee when she does this, or is she jumping around and the pee is just coming out?
It does sound like she is just excited to see her weekend family :). Can you put the dogs in the yard to tire her out and let her get the pee out when you first get there? Boxers can be very hyper and excitable. How much exercise does she get? I think with proper exercise it's probably something she'll grow out of as she matures.

Bailey_ September 24th, 2009 09:35 PM

I second the suggestion to have her looked at by a vet. It doesn't sound like submissive peeing, as this would happen when you or your BF touch/look/talk to her. Excitement peeing usually would happen when you first arrived, not hours later.

Is she crate trained?

Puppies that are taken from their moms that are younger than 6 weeks can easily develop behavioral issues down the road (possessive tendancies like you are seeing is very normal in a puppy that has not learned to properly socialize with other dogs, which they are taught early on from their Mother).

Karu'sMama September 24th, 2009 11:21 PM

She was spay about mid Aug. and this problem has been going on before and after then.
I dont think it is a UTI because she only does it when we are around, not when shes alone with the bf. I can suggest taking her to the vet but I may need some back up to convince him she needs to go. Anyone have links to good UTI websites?
She has been squatting everytime. Normally when we catch her in the act we tell her No! and bring her outside for a few mins. Obviously that's not working.
We do try to put them outside when we first get there. Not really for the peeing but so things dont get broke with all the running and playing in the house. We came home one day and the coffee table had made its way completely across the room.
As far as exercise she probably doesn't get as much as she needs being a puppy and a boxer mix. When its not raining outside, and me and my kids aren't there, I believe the bf normal routine is fetch in the backyard and/or about a 20min walk. He started to bring her to the dog park too about once a week.
As far as crate training, well that's whole another nightmare. She either has confinement issues or mild SA. If shes in the crate in a room by herself she will cry nonstop and hypersalivate(i believe that it), strangely if Karu is in a crate in the same room she is perfectly fine. When she was a (younger)puppy he tried locking(with a baby gate) her in the laundry room while he was at work. It was the same result as the crate. She has free roam of most of his house now alone and she is much better. He has a webcam set up to watch her at work, and for the most part she sleeps all day. I really think she would benefit hugely from a full time canine friend but bf says that's out of the question, 3 is too many already.

Could it be female marking? this is my newest theory. It doesn't really seem to fit either but I'm running out of ideas.