Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Wildlife and people (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=84416)

rottysrule August 10th, 2013 06:42 PM

Wildlife and people

OK here is my rant of the day its about wildlife and not the big game but the little guys the snakes, coons and skunks.

I lady i know and also watch her dog for. catches raccoons and skunks and some time cats in a live trap or raccoon trap(what ever you want to call it). Well I have never been one to trap and move animals even wild ones and i don't think it's a good thing to do as you don't know if there are kits. This lady will traps n moves the cats and coons but from what i know the 2 skunks she has caught has killed them. They caught a young skunk and they have a guy coming to shoot it tonight. I mean come on you don't live in town what did you think that you buy a house and have land, and all of a sudden all the wildlife leaves the yard or your area. They also are known for killing the garden snakes as they have a goldfish/koi pond so the snakes go for them, from what the lady says.
Here the thing they complain and rant about when people killed a deer near the area. They do Live out rural area where most people have a few acres at least.
My mom has always taught me that we have to live with animals that are around. Heck as a kid i grew up with a wild skunk that was like a pet never got sprayed or anything and could play with it.
Also like 2 years ago when we were feeding our now cat Lady mom left food out so that she knew Lady was eating also we had a few stray hanging around. found out we were feeding a mom coon and her kits. we stopped leaving food out so that the coons wouldn't keep coming around and we live in the city.

[B]I have made a complaint with fish and wildlife but they office is closed today.[/B] I didn't want them to mention my name or anything as i rather not deal with hearing it from these people that i would call in a complaint about them.

Goldfields August 10th, 2013 07:36 PM

If it works the same way in Canada as it does in Oz I'm pretty sure they would not tell the person who put in the complaint . Good on you, I put in a complaint about local hoons shooting the kangaroos here, but with the Police as well seeing they were chasing them out of the forest onto the road where they could cause an accident. Been very quiet since and the kangaroos are breeding back up nicely.

Barkingdog August 10th, 2013 08:04 PM

[QUOTE=rottysrule;1060550]OK here is my rant of the day its about wildlife and not the big game but the little guys the snakes, coons and skunks.

I lady i know and also watch her dog for. catches raccoons and skunks and some time cats in a live trap or raccoon trap(what ever you want to call it). Well I have never been one to trap and move animals even wild ones and i don't think it's a good thing to do as you don't know if there are kits. This lady will traps n moves the cats and coons but from what i know the 2 skunks she has caught has killed them. They caught a young skunk and they have a guy coming to shoot it tonight. I mean come on you don't live in town what did you think that you buy a house and have land, and all of a sudden all the wildlife leaves the yard or your area. They also are known for killing the garden snakes as they have a goldfish/koi pond so the snakes go for them, from what the lady says.
Here the thing they complain and rant about when people killed a deer near the area. They do Live out rural area where most people have a few acres at least.
My mom has always taught me that we have to live with animals that are around. Heck as a kid i grew up with a wild skunk that was like a pet never got sprayed or anything and could play with it.
Also like 2 years ago when we were feeding our now cat Lady mom left food out so that she knew Lady was eating also we had a few stray hanging around. found out we were feeding a mom coon and her kits. we stopped leaving food out so that the coons wouldn't keep coming around and we live in the city.

[B]I have made a complaint with fish and wildlife but they office is closed today.[/B] I didn't want them to mention my name or anything as i rather not deal with hearing it from these people that i would call in a complaint about them.[/QUOTE]

That is great you made a complaint , I would had too. Snakes eat rodents and if the woman keep killing all the snakes there is going to a lot of rodents around. I was told it was not good to move wildlife to another location as it could have health issues that spread to other animals . I once saw a snake in the road and stopped my car and got out and moved the snake to a safer place. I did not want to see a dead snake even time I drove by ,. I hope fish and wildlife will do something about this.

rottysrule August 10th, 2013 09:45 PM

i know in actually a few different places its illegal to move the animals a certain distance and you cant legally catch them either..
i could understand moving them if they are getting into thing or not but when they are just living why bother them.. they set out the trap cause they saw a huge skunks. In british Columbia the skunks are rabies free and skunks are only out usually at night their dog is in at night so they don't have to worry..

I am hoping more and more people will complain, cause all they really have to say is they are trying to catch the neighbours cat or something. since they are using cat food as bait.

Longblades August 11th, 2013 07:37 AM

While in Ontario we do have laws governing such things the sad truth is our MNR have not the resources or money to enforce them. Legal or not a blind eye is often turned. The only way for you to find out is to contact your Fish and Wildlife people on Monday when their office opens. The laws might be on-line if you've got the time to wade through them.

Another reason to not move live captured animals too far is that introducing them to a new area is very likely to be a death sentence for them. They don't know the area, where dangerous roads are, where food and water are, plus a resident population of their own species is likely to fight them. Our MNR has guidelines on far an animal may be moved.

Hopefully your wildlife people can educate that lady on how to not attract the critters to her yard in the first place. Good luck.

Barkingdog August 11th, 2013 07:39 AM

[QUOTE=rottysrule;1060564]i know in actually a few different places its illegal to move the animals a certain distance and you cant legally catch them either..
i could understand moving them if they are getting into thing or not but when they are just living why bother them.. they set out the trap cause they saw a huge skunks. In british Columbia the skunks are rabies free and skunks are only out usually at night their dog is in at night so they don't have to worry..

I am hoping more and more people will complain, cause all they really have to say is they are trying to catch the neighbours cat or something. since they are using cat food as bait.[/QUOTE]

I was trying to rescue at homeless cat and set out a trap with my ACO
we trapped a huge raccoon instead. I was feeding the cat and left the bowl on dried food on a chair that was on my deck. I was hoping the wild animals
would not come on my deck. I opened my curtain to see if the cat was eating his food and there was a possum sitting right in the middle of the bowl eating the food. I knocked on the sliding door and the possum looked at me and said 'do you mind I am eating!' Wildlife is really losing their fear of people and the more land we take away from them the closer they come into our backyard. Then people complain about it. What did they think would happen.

rottysrule August 11th, 2013 01:31 PM

I do't mind wild life unless they are coming to hurt me.. i rather not have a bear in the yard though. Nyx will bark at bears she leaves the deer alone but barks like made if a bear is around.
i wish more people will learn to live with the wild life.

Barkingdog August 11th, 2013 04:19 PM

[QUOTE=rottysrule;1060589]I do't mind wild life unless they are coming to hurt me.. i rather not have a bear in the yard though. Nyx will bark at bears she leaves the deer alone but barks like made if a bear is around.
i wish more people will learn to live with the wild life.[/QUOTE]

As long as the coyote does not come right up to my dog and me anymore I am fine with it. People that feed wildlife do more harm than good , it make the animal lose it natural fear of people and they'll get closer to people houses looking for more food.

marko August 12th, 2013 09:07 AM

[QUOTE=Barkingdog;1060590]...... People that feed wildlife do more harm than good , it make the animal lose it natural fear of people and they'll get closer to people houses looking for more food.[/QUOTE]

+1 big time.

It's hard because we want to be nice to the individual animal and we mean no harm. But after we feed them , we go home to watch T.V or whatever and we forget about that animal. But our behaviour changes the animal's behaviour usually for the worse.