Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Teeth brushing! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=53992)

allymack July 3rd, 2008 05:02 PM

Teeth brushing!

Who here brushes their dogs teeth? I was thinking about that the other day and i never have, i always thought it was kinda weird, unless your vet says to specifically, i mean if you give your pup thigns that will clean their teeth is there really any need..? what are you guys thoughts on this?

hazelrunpack July 3rd, 2008 05:11 PM

We brush the teeth of all 8, daily. If you use an enzymatic toothpaste, it does a much better job than just chews can. In our experience, anyway...

I think a lot of it is genetics--I've know dogs that never had their teeth brushed and rarely got anything to chew and still had gorgeous pearly whites their whole life. Our dogs' tooth-related genes aren't as spectacular as that. :dog: So we brush. :shrug: Does a pretty good job.

pitgrrl July 3rd, 2008 05:26 PM

I brush the dogs teeth *almost* daily, especially after just spending $300.00 on an extraction and cleaning for Basil. That sure gave me the kick in the butt I needed to get back on the tooth brushing train:laughing:

Chaser July 3rd, 2008 05:35 PM

I started brushing Chases's teeth out of desperation. His breath smelled like rotting fish :yuck: and I thought it was a mild tummy problem....but switching to a high-quality food and feeding him plain yogurt did absolutely nothing to help. I figured I'd give brushing his teeth a shot, and once I did I was so shocked at how much crap had built up on his back teeth. He chews Kongs and Nylabones a lot, but I'd say he's really just a moderate chewer and it just wasn't getting the gunk off. After brushing just once, his breath was absolutely fine! :D Now we brush almost daily (at least every other) and if it goes more than two days the fish breath returns. I am entirely convinced it is important to brush dog's teeth, and I really think it will help to avoid problems as he gets older.

russte July 3rd, 2008 07:20 PM

Dear Hazelrunpack

We brush our girls teeth, but we use coconut oil just because they like it, but I'm wondering what kind of toothpaste you use? I just have never bought the kind at pet places cause I didn't know what to buy as most of the stuff, if I remember correctly was recalled.
Thanks
russte

jealma July 3rd, 2008 07:36 PM

Coconut Oil really? That is the first I've heard of using that. I have thought about starting to brush Abby's teeth but I was thinking I would have to buy a toothpaste from the pet store. I think I"d rather use coconut oil if it really works.

pitgrrl July 3rd, 2008 07:48 PM

I use [URL="http://www.petzlife.com/index.html"]this toothpaste/gel[/URL] because the ingredients in all the one's I could find at the vet or pet stores totally grossed me out. The dogs don't seem to have a problem with the taste and it works as well if not better than the enzymatic types available at the vet.

hazelrunpack July 3rd, 2008 09:33 PM

[QUOTE=russte;617347]We brush our girls teeth, but we use coconut oil just because they like it, but I'm wondering what kind of toothpaste you use? I just have never bought the kind at pet places cause I didn't know what to buy as most of the stuff, if I remember correctly was recalled.
Thanks
russte[/QUOTE]

We use C.E.T. toothpaste--readily available both online and at vets and retailers. There are three flavors--Malt, Vanilla-Mint, and Poultry. Ours will tolerate the first two but they go ga-ga over the Poultry, so I just buy a case of that... :o

I've never heard of a recall of C.E.T. toothpaste! :eek: Info please?!?

hazelrunpack July 3rd, 2008 09:35 PM

[QUOTE=pitgrrl;617364]I use [URL="http://www.petzlife.com/index.html"]this toothpaste/gel[/URL] because the ingredients in all the one's I could find at the vet or pet stores totally grossed me out. The dogs don't seem to have a problem with the taste and it works as well if not better than the enzymatic types available at the vet.[/QUOTE]

I think I've used petzlife, too...but I can't open the link with my connection (:frustrated: so what else is new :rolleyes:) to check for sure... They liked that pretty well, too, but it's harder to find around here. :shrug:

allymack July 4th, 2008 09:50 AM

Thanks for all your thoughts. I was just wondering if i should start brushing Enzos teeth, they are all very white and healthy looking, but i dont want to take any chances, i think i will check with my vet too and see what she says.

Dingo July 4th, 2008 12:32 PM

Once in a while.

russte July 4th, 2008 01:31 PM

Hazelrunpack

I think the recalls were from the walmart brands, when I'm in the city I will look for the brands you use, we brush our girls teeth 2x a week. Thanks for the tip for brands of toothpaste....russte