Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Introduce yourself here - Say hello (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   I'm so worried (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=82924)

lua November 29th, 2012 12:26 PM

I'm so worried

Hi, I'm so glad I found this place it makes me feel like I'm not alone. My dog Delilah has been with diarrhea. I took her to the vet Tuesday,27. her poop was like mustard, yellow and mushy, no blood or mucus. The Vet gave her subcutaneous fluids, antibiotics, injection of Ampicillin. He also prescribed Metronidazole 500mg and Amoxi Tabs. Yesterday she got watery poop, today it was firm but with a little pinkish color. I've been giving her rice with chicken. should I wait another day or take her back, any advice for me. I love this dog, she's actually my son's he's way, he's a marine, I don't want to tell him she's sick he's going to be worried.

Dog Dancer November 29th, 2012 02:56 PM

lua, welcome to the board. Sorry to hear your son's dog is sick. Have you tried just calling the vet to ask him what you should do? He should be able to advise if you need to come in or wait a bit more. It may take a few days for the meds to work. But if you are truly, truly worried just go in. I assume your son is away on duty somewhere, he is in my prayers.:pray:

Barkingdog November 29th, 2012 05:34 PM

[QUOTE=lua;1050088]Hi, I'm so glad I found this place it makes me feel like I'm not alone. My dog Delilah has been with diarrhea. I took her to the vet Tuesday,27. her poop was like mustard, yellow and mushy, no blood or mucus. The Vet gave her subcutaneous fluids, antibiotics, injection of Ampicillin. He also prescribed Metronidazole 500mg and Amoxi Tabs. Yesterday she got watery poop, today it was firm but with a little pinkish color. I've been giving her rice with chicken. should I wait another day or take her back, any advice for me. I love this dog, she's actually my son's he's way, he's a marine, I don't want to tell him she's sick he's going to be worried.[/QUOTE]

Do you think that pinkish color could be blood? If your dog poop stay pink and it not from food she is eating I would bring a stool sample to the vet so they can see it to made sure your dog is not bleeding internally. I hope she will get better soon.

Izzie November 29th, 2012 06:58 PM

Hello Lua

Call your vet. I always look online for the side effects of the prescription.

Metronidazole Cautions:
Antibiotic medications can cause diarrhea, which may be the sign of a new infection. If your pet has diarrhea that is watery or has blood in it, contact your veterinarian. Do not use any medication to stop the diarrhea unless instructed by your veterinarian.
Side Effects of Amoxicillin (Amoxi-Tabs)

While Amoxi-tabs are relatively safe when administered under a veterinarian, it might trigger a few side effects in some animals. It is normal for some animals to develop diarrhea during the treatment with Amoxi-tabs, which happens because of the sudden change in the bacterial presence of the pet's intestinal tract. However, if diarrhea persists it might be a symptom of colitis or intestinal infections, which should be notified to the veterinarian. Loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting are some other common side effects.

Hope your dog get well soon!

patchdog November 29th, 2012 06:59 PM

Welcome to the site. Enjoy your stay.
I would call the vet and ask what he/she thinks. You would not want it to be anything serious. Hopefully your dog gets better soon. It is so rough when they are sick.

Barkingdog December 3rd, 2012 12:00 PM

I hope Delilah is OK her owner has not been back.