Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Bambi legs! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=58503)

Etown_Chick November 23rd, 2008 02:23 AM

Bambi legs!

A coworker gave me some deer legs the other day,which I promptly froze for Scruff. After he'd chewed his way through one of the smaller bones I thought..oh.. are worms an issue with deer? Does Anyone else feed hunter scraps and have you had issues other than the horrendous deer farts (don't mean to be indelicate..but ewww nasty!)
He was in puppy heaven with his leg and I know he'll enjoy the rest of them.

kathryn November 24th, 2008 10:40 PM

Hm, you could always give him a deworming treatment just incase. Drontal or Panacure would be good... Wouldn't worms get frozen and then die?

And ewww deer legs :yuck:

hazelrunpack November 24th, 2008 10:43 PM

There are a number of people out here in the boonies who regularly feed their dogs raw venison, Etown_chick, and none of them seem to have trouble with worms or other parasites. We, on the other hand, who never feed our dogs anything other than Innova, have to deworm the dogs three times a year with Panacur! :rolleyes: Go figure! Maybe we need to start feeding them venison :D

Etown_Chick November 24th, 2008 11:48 PM

hazel,
good to know, as he loves the stuff!
I thought freezing would kill anything too...not sure.
I guess I'll find out.

want4rain November 25th, 2008 12:10 AM

i freeze deer for a week or so. :) no worms here! Mister digs it!

-ash

AmericanBullMom November 25th, 2008 07:59 AM

You should be fine, but a deworming treatment wouldnt hurt...

Never thought of deer legs before, what a good idea! I have sooo many hunters in my family that could get me some deer legs... can you imagine the looks on my neighbors faces as I carried them into my apt.... :D

Wait, does it still have hair? Now I'm just imagining the mess it would make...

want4rain November 25th, 2008 09:38 AM

:yuck: Mister eats the hair. i WILL say thought we keep him on heartworm meds of which covers some of the internal parasites. we also have a fecal test done every 6 months (nothing has turned up yet).

-ashley

Scuba November 25th, 2008 12:00 PM

I don't know what the guideline for meat or game is, but the USFDA guidelines for fish and seafoods are 7 days at -20 celsius. That is -4 farhenhite. Keep in mind however that most home freezers only go down to -16 or -18 Celsius at the most.

Alternatively -35 c (-31 f) at 15 hours is also approved. I would think that what works for wild fish and seafoods should work for meat as well.

Etown_Chick November 25th, 2008 10:53 PM

Well if it was as cold here as it should be in late Nov I''d just toss them outside..lol..but it's gorgeous here!
He loves the deer. I'll keep giving it to him and make sure to get a worm test done just in case. Thanks for the suggestions, all.

erykah1310 November 26th, 2008 07:15 PM

We feed raw moose and deer here, no issues at all.
The dogs have enough bones from both to last the 4 of them a good year ( we'll probably end up with many buried parts and thrown out stuff though)
This year we ended up with 2 moose and 2 deer "left overs" still awaiting some beaver and another deer (bones only)

Not to gross too many people out here, but we give the dogs a day or so with the heads, they LOVE that, its drugs for dogs.

want4rain November 26th, 2008 10:06 PM

you know, Mister *loves* head. i mean absolutely loves it. he doesnt polish off deer but any other creatures head get completely devoured. all i can assume is that there is something uber nutritious in there.

-ashley

Etown_Chick November 29th, 2008 07:52 PM

I never thought about the head. I'm not sure I could handle looking into bambi's eyes..sigh...but it would be fun just to see the neighbor's reactions..heh heh.

want4rain November 29th, 2008 08:22 PM

the deer head was tough though. opening the cooler to see that was not for the faint of heart.... or even for those with a little more constitution. im made of pretty stern stuff but that was difficult.

-ash

Shell_Baby December 7th, 2008 11:38 AM

Do you have to worry about chronic wasting disease? I asked a coworker, who is also a hunter, where he got his deer processed so I could get some bones for the dogs, and he said that he was worried about CWD with raw bones. I'm new to the raw feeding, so I thought I'd ask the experts!:D

Great site, BTW!:thumbs up

erykah1310 December 8th, 2008 06:48 PM

I don't worry about it.
Its so inconclusive on how it is transmitted and which species can and can not get it.
[url]http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/heasan/disemala/cwdmdc/cwdmdcfse.shtml[/url]

pitgrrl December 8th, 2008 08:35 PM

[QUOTE=Shell_Baby;708409]Do you have to worry about chronic wasting disease? I asked a coworker, who is also a hunter, where he got his deer processed so I could get some bones for the dogs, and he said that he was worried about CWD with raw bones. I'm new to the raw feeding, so I thought I'd ask the experts!:D

Great site, BTW!:thumbs up[/QUOTE]

Though I don't have access to those types of meat, I have heard not to feed the head or spine of deer and to deep freeze game before feeding. Like I said though, this is second hand info as I'm so urban it hurts :laughing: