Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My dog pees on people (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=3879)

Bill & Bob April 11th, 2004 12:10 PM

My dog pees on people

So, my most embarrassing moment with my dog has now become two most embarrassing moments. Bob's a roughly one year old GSD, and he still acts like a big dumb puppy. He's been fixed and shows no signs of aggression to anyone or other dogs. I take Bob to the park every morning. There's this wonderful couple there with their dog. Everyone plays and has fun. About a month ago, Bob is playing and then he runs up to the guy owner and pees on his leg. I couldn't believe it. I gave Bob some verbal negatives to try and make him understand that's not cool. Thankfully they are strong dog people and didn't get totally angry about it, rather they just laughed it off. But it bothered me quite a bit, simply because I don't want him peeing on people! Today I go out and there they are again. Very nice people. Bob and their dog play with the other dogs, and alls good. Then Bob runs up to the woman owner and pees on the back of her leg? The only thing in common both times was that the one he peed on had a baby in one of those pouches that rests on your chest. Again she was very good about it and didn't freak out, but again it's horribly embarrassing. As well, I don't know what it means. It seems like a dominance thing, but over what? The baby is the only thing I can think of. Is he establishing territory to protect the kid or what? My friends say I'm overanalyzing things, but I want to know what the root of all this is. Especially if he's not protecting the baby. In a perfect world, I'd like to know exactly what he's thinking about that baby. I've never had the opportunity to have him around kids, because he's a bit too big and clumzy. Any thoughts? I've only seen this in other dogs once before.
Thankfully he hasn't chosen any other "special friends" to pee on. I mentioned it to one fellow and he said he'd kick the dog if it did that to him. One concern is that Bob is going to do it to someone who will end up booting him or something.

Lucky Rescue April 11th, 2004 12:39 PM

Naughty boy! Dogs do sometimes urinate on other dogs and even people when marking territory.

Since you take him to this park every day, he now sees it as HIS territory.

You are right to be worried about someone kicking him. Until you get this behaviour under control, do NOT let him off leash.

Keep him on leash, and go up to people and talk to them. At the first tiny sign that Bob is even thinking of peeing on someone, you must give him a very firm correction and a loud "NO!!!"

In other words, get out the can opener.:D
[IMG]http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL320/1047157/1960792/50634463.jpg[/IMG]

Seriously, a few corrections from you will not be nearly as harsh as a kick in the head from someone who objects to being urinated on.

Catt31 April 11th, 2004 01:25 PM

Bill...the first time I took my dog to an off leash area he did the same thing...he peed on the back of this woman's pants... guess he didn't like purple!! Thankfully Brick hasn't done it again, mind you, we haven't seen any women wearing purple pants yet!!! hehehehe

I agree with LR...he obviously is marking that park as HIS. Do you have any friends with babies you could do an experiment with? Get them to hold the baby then bring Bob up to them on leash and see what he does. Do this in your yard so he knows it is his turf, then try it again elsewhere, maybe somewhere you haven't been with Bob yet. Just a thought I had....let me know if it works!! Good luck!!!

Bill & Bob April 11th, 2004 01:29 PM

First of all, thanks for the advice. Well, that's the funny thing. Bob's pretty boisterous in a fun and play sort of way, so I usually walk up and introduce him to everyone and the other dogs before I let him off. I don't like to let him off until I do this so I can make sure there aren't any older dogs there that he might bump over or if there are other males there that he needs to sniff at first. He's fine with all this and it seems to work well. He just starts running around with the other dogs for a few minutes, and then runs up to this particular couple and pees on them! I've told them they get free dog poop pickups for life for their dog if I'm around. There's no challenging from other dogs. There's no negatives with other people. Just fun and play and peeing on people. Thankfully I've had him for three months today and these are the only ones he's done this to. They laughed about it and said they are Bob's "special friends"!
I still wonder if it has something to do with the baby, because it's the ony occasion I've been in the park when there was someone there with a baby.

Bill & Bob April 11th, 2004 01:43 PM

You folks might be right. This particular park isn't our usual morning adventure. It just happens to be a dog park on the way to where we usually go, and also happens to be a park where there's usually other dogs off leash to play with so we stop there if there's company around. Maybe since it's not the usual hangout and he has so much fun there, he thinks he needs to mark the territory. But he never does it with anyone else there. Just these two, thankfully very nice people. The first time it happened the guy said "don't worry, we've got a baby, I've been peed on a number of times already." Yeesh, no wonder I got a dog.

Nope, all my friends are 'non human breeders', and I'm not a fan of puppy humans either. That would be an interesting offer to someone with a kid though! "Would you mind standing still in my back yard with your baby, me, and my dog to see if he pees on your leg?" Seriously, good idea though. Maybe I could pay someone to participate in an " behavioural experiment" and not tell them what it is ahead of time...Just kidding.

Catt31 April 11th, 2004 10:22 PM

LMFAO Bill!!! Well I guess Bob just likes these people enough to say "Hey, your my special friends!" A bit odd, but dogs are very odd creatures, as I am slowly learning with our new rescue dog!! Never ending laughs and excitement I guess eh?? Good luck with that!!!

P.S. Tell the people to wear those slippery wind pants - the ones that are waterproof!!!!

Iggette April 13th, 2004 08:03 AM

lol@Bob

I would lmao if asked to participate in your experiment although I don't have a baby if I did I would gladly help out just for the humour of it all.........Sorry I know this is no laughing matter for you but I just couldn't stop laughing at your post.......thanks for the morning cheer up

Signed...........still laughing:D :D :D :D

Bill & Bob April 14th, 2004 03:21 PM

Glad I could bring some people some cheer. I'm going to get the folks a gift certificate at the local pet store, with a 'thanks for understanding' card. I can't believe how nice they were about it.

woodbyter April 16th, 2004 07:09 PM

Different strokes for different folks

Maybe you should give them a gift certificate to a local cleaning store that runs specials on pee removal from socks...
I had a cocker spaniel that took great delight in dumping in a neighbor's rose bed. I would chase him and never could break him of the habit. He loved to go out late at night sneek over there and squat. I finally moved and the dog never bothered anyone's flowers anywhere again.