Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Gardening (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   More random flowerings around Hazel Run... (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64279)

hazelrunpack July 20th, 2009 10:13 PM

More random flowerings around Hazel Run...

3 Attachment(s)
[CENTER][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][I][B][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Teal"]An update on what's blooming this week. :D I love walking the property and finding new stuff :thumbs up

The hummingbird garden day lilies are just starting to bloom...
[ATTACH]55385[/ATTACH]

...as are the double day lilies up by the garage...
[ATTACH]55386[/ATTACH]

...and the Stella d'Oro lilies in the kennel garden.
[ATTACH]55387[/ATTACH][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/I][/FONT][/CENTER]

hazelrunpack July 20th, 2009 10:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
[CENTER][I][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Teal"]The hummingbird garden has gotten lush in the cool damp weather:
[ATTACH]55388[/ATTACH]

Notice that the phlox, milkweed, and day lilies (sun-loving plants) are living in the deeper shade under the pine
while the impatiens (shade-loving plants) line the sunnier front of the garden. :rolleyes:
No...that wasn't hazel's idea. :D Although it seems like something hazel would try. :laughing:

Well, okay...so maybe the impatiens are planted by hazel every year,
but the lilies and phlox were already under the tree when we bought the house. :D

Next is my "hidden garden":
[ATTACH]55389[/ATTACH]

It's just starting to take off.
Normally, I'd leave that corridor open so I can get into the garden to harvest tomatoes,
but this year I had to move the tomatoes elsewhere (fungus troubles)
so I put in these annuals behind the much taller front row of plants in the kennel garden.
You can only see it from the end of the garden, or by standing on the garden wall...hence it's my "hidden" garden. :o

My overwintered pansies are still going strong :thumbs up
[ATTACH]55390[/ATTACH][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/I][/CENTER]

hazelrunpack July 20th, 2009 10:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
[CENTER][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][I][B][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Teal"]Moving outside the fenced area...

[ATTACH]55391[/ATTACH]
Cool! Looks like we're going to get some tomatoes this year! :cloud9:

Of course some weeds are just too pretty to pull:
[ATTACH]55392[/ATTACH]
This is smartweed, but I'm not sure which variety. The flower feels almost rubbery.
We get tons of it coming up and I pull most of it, but I always let a few thrive
cuz madame hazel thinks they're pretty. :o
I wish everything was as easy to grow! :laughing:

Out by the cistern, the blue vervain is finally in bloom:
[ATTACH]55393[/ATTACH]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/I][/FONT][/CENTER]

hazelrunpack July 20th, 2009 10:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
[CENTER][I][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Teal"]This whole area used to be prairie until the Great Depression.
To provide people with jobs, the government started the Civilian Conservation Corps.
Scores of people camped out on the prairie to work...by planting trees. :rolleyes:
The forest I live in is a product of the CCC.

But the prairie has a long memory and some of its grasses can still be found
along sunny edges...

[ATTACH]55394[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]55395[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]55396[/ATTACH][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/I][/CENTER]

CearaQC July 20th, 2009 10:38 PM

Ah, gotta love when the daylilies start. If only they lasted longer than a day!

You have such a good eye for observing stuff in nature, and so creative too!

hazelrunpack July 20th, 2009 10:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
[CENTER][I][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Teal"]
[ATTACH]55397[/ATTACH]

Nearby, downy wood-mint blooms...
[ATTACH]55398[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]55399[/ATTACH]
...beneath the dogwood bushes, just beginning to form the berries that will
help prepare hundreds of birds for their fall migrations.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/I][/CENTER]

hazelrunpack July 20th, 2009 10:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
[CENTER][I][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Teal"]My mystery primrose is really putting on a show...
[ATTACH]55400[/ATTACH]
I wish I could identify it, but my flower book has some pages missing... :o
Anyone know? I thought it was evening primrose at first, but it doesn't have
the cross-shaped stamens :shrug:

Last year there were dozens of wild bergamot plants in the yard.
This year, I can find only one! :eek: Not sure why? Might have been too wet.
There are parts of the front yard supporting obligate wetland plants this year. :o In sandy soil. Go figure!
Anyway, here's my one lone survivor, not quite ready to bloom:
[ATTACH]55401[/ATTACH]

And, of course, my dear little purple bergamot patch :cloud9:
[ATTACH]55402[/ATTACH]
...although to be honest, I'm not sure anymore if it's purple bergamot or true bee-balm :o
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/I][/CENTER]

CearaQC July 20th, 2009 10:50 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;804181]

And, of course, my dear little purple bergamot patch :cloud9:
...although to be honest, I'm not sure anymore if it's purple bergamot or true bee-balm :o
[/QUOTE]

Amazing color! Thank you so much for sharing. :D

hazelrunpack July 20th, 2009 10:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
[CENTER][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][I][B][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Teal"]And finally,
hazel's absolute favorites!

Bed flowers.
[ATTACH]55403[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]55405[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]55404[/ATTACH]
They don't grow much finer than that!

:D

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/I][/FONT][/CENTER]

hazelrunpack July 20th, 2009 11:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=CearaQC;804176]Ah, gotta love when the daylilies start. If only they lasted longer than a day!

[I][B][COLOR="Teal"]They have tons of buds this year so they're lasting a long time, even if they do only bloom one a day on each stalk:
[ATTACH]55406[/ATTACH]
Don't mind the Sheriff. He was on snake patrol that morning :rolleyes:[/COLOR][/B][/I]

You have such a good eye for observing stuff in nature, and so creative too![/QUOTE]

[I][B][COLOR="teal"]Thanks, Ceara...but I have to get creative. My gardens are mostly hodgepodge-and-volunteers...no rhyme or reason :D So to make them look as good as everyone else's, I have to distract the mind and wow the eye with the camera angle :laughing:

But I really envy people with green thumbs...like yours and chico's and klmccallum's and TQ's and...well, you get the idea... :o [/COLOR][/B][/I]

growler~GateKeeper July 21st, 2009 01:09 AM

The Stella d'Oro lilies are cute I've never seen that one before :cool:

Love the bed flowers ~ quite cute how they pop up one after the other :D

rainbow July 21st, 2009 01:18 AM

Beautiful gardens, Hazel :lovestruck: ......the Bed Flowers are my absolute favourites. :cloud9:

And, could you send me some of that Smartweed so I can have pretty flowers too? :o

hazelrunpack July 21st, 2009 10:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=growler;804233]The Stella d'Oro lilies are cute I've never seen that one before :cool:

[I][B][COLOR="Teal"]They're really neat--the last owner planted it and it just keeps blooming away....obviously hasn't noticed that it's had a change in ownership and is now in mortal danger! :laughing: They bloom all through July and into August and the flowers are such a beautiful gold color :cloud9:[/COLOR][/B][/I]

Love the bed flowers ~ quite cute how they pop up one after the other :D[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="teal"][B][I]Yep, don't even require any fertilizer...they just pop up night after night after night...all by themselves :D[/I][/B][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=rainbow;804237]Beautiful gardens, Hazel :lovestruck: ......the Bed Flowers are my absolute favourites. :cloud9:

[COLOR="teal"][I][B]hazel's, too[/B][/I][/COLOR]

And, could you send me some of that Smartweed so I can have pretty flowers too? :o[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="teal"][I][B]Chances are you already have some. They're EVERYWHERE! :laughing: The flower heads are quite small, so I normally leave the smartweed that is coming up through other vegetation--that way it acts as a bit of an accent and the flowers look really cool against dark green leaves.

Here's what smartweed looks like all by its lonesome...
[ATTACH]55432[/ATTACH] [/B][/I][/COLOR]

breeze July 21st, 2009 10:21 AM

The bed flowers are beautiful :flirt: and my favorites :cloud9::cloud9:

14+kitties July 21st, 2009 10:10 PM

I have to get me some of that bed flower!! :cloud9: Love it!!!
I am not ever gonna believe you again when you say you kill everything you try to grow. :frustrated: You are a wonderful gardener! Everything looks marvelous to me!!!

hazelrunpack July 21st, 2009 10:24 PM

[QUOTE=14+kitties;804884]I have to get me some of that bed flower!! :cloud9: Love it!!!
I am not ever gonna believe you again when you say you kill everything you try to grow. :frustrated: You are a wonderful gardener! Everything looks marvelous to me!!![/QUOTE]
:o I managed to kill most of the seeds you sent me... :cry: Just a few of the rose campion seem to have survived...and maybe a dozen of the cosmos. :shrug: I don't know what I did wrong! :yell:

I really like coreopsis, but it doesn't like me! :frustrated:

I did find out why none of the seeds sprouted (that I can tell) out in the wild area--it's evidently much wetter out there than I suspected. :shrug:

My gardens are [I]never[/I] going to be able to hold a candle to yours, 14+. And I'll bet your bed flowers are as pretty as mine! :D

14+kitties July 21st, 2009 10:40 PM

It may not have been you that killed them. Maybe I gave you seeds that don't do well in your area. It's hard to say without being there to see. :shrug: If you have cosmos coming you should have some for next year. Mine are about a foot or so now. Coming along.
Coreopsis can be tricky to grow. It needs the right spot or it just won't do a thing.
Umm, my gardens really aren't great right now. I am just getting really good at cropping pics. :D

JanM July 22nd, 2009 10:53 AM

Beautiful flowers and plants, Hazel - outdoors and in :) Makes me want to get out and take more pix of mine - but most of mine are nearly finished now.

I'm changing my gardens (again) - one large area in the back yard will be a fruit and veggie bed - it now has 3 blueberry bushes, 1 peach tree, 2 raspberry bushes, 2 sage. Next summer I'll fill in the spaces with root veggies. The other area will be all veggies - much smaller but gets more sun so hopefully I'll have fresh veggies all summer next year. Right now there's only two tomato plants - well loaded with tomatoes - exciting!

clm July 23rd, 2009 07:18 AM

:laughing: Love the bed flowers Hazel. :laughing:

How do you find your tomatos are doing? It's been such a cool summer so far and those things need heat.

Cindy

hazelrunpack July 23rd, 2009 01:22 PM

Jan, I'll bet your bed flowers are still in bloom. :D I think we need some more pics of them! :thumbs up

Our tomatoes are doing better than I'd expect considering the weather, Cindy--but they're getting extra heat from sunlight reflected off the garage wall, so they're thriving! :highfive:

Dee-O-Gee July 23rd, 2009 09:01 PM

Just noticed this thread Hazel--must have missed it's first posting. :shrug:

Anyway--your flowers are all way too lovely. They look so happy and peaceful! :cloud9:

I especially love your annual bed flowers! :D

hazelrunpack July 23rd, 2009 11:24 PM

Those are perennial bed flowers, I hope! :eek: Course, with all the nasty mushrooms they've been coming up with these days... :rolleyes:

:laughing:

Tundra_Queen July 27th, 2009 11:43 PM

Hazel I love your gardens! And I don't know how u got those spotted flowers to grow in your bedroom, but they sure are beautiful! :D

How big is your property?

Debbie

hazelrunpack July 28th, 2009 10:34 PM

We have about 1.4 acres.

I'm not sure how I get those spotted flowers to grow, either, but they sprout up every evening. :D