Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Cat's voice is changing - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=41362)

marko June 9th, 2007 09:32 PM

Cat's voice is changing - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden

Hi everyone,

Just curious if anyone has experienced this as it sounds familiar...but..

Ziglet's (my 14 year old male Siamese cat) voice has changed tone over the last few months. His 'meow' is no longer the same, it is higher and he is also vocalizing in this higher tone. It is almost like when a boy/girl goes through puberty and their voice permanently changes. Zig did get his annual checkup about 2 months ago and is in great shape and his behaviour and health haven't changed, only his voice. Do vocal chords change as we age? Is this normal or should I take him back to the vet?

Thanks everyone!

Marko

TeriM June 10th, 2007 02:57 AM

Hmmm, that's an interesting one. Perhaps he is just missing Zak and has been vocalizing a lot more?

TeriM June 10th, 2007 03:01 AM

Oops, found this. Might be a good idea to take him in just in case.

[QUOTE]There are many things that can cause a voice change in cats. They can come down with laryngitis or pharyngitis due to bacterial or viral causes. Trauma, foreign bodies, bruising, polyps or even cancer can also cause changes in how your cat may meow. It is most likely this is just due to an upper respiratory virus but just to be safe I would recommend your cat's veterinarian check him out.[/QUOTE]

rainbow June 10th, 2007 03:04 AM

I have never had that happen with any of my cats. The only Siamese I've had is the Siamese X I have now and he is only three. I would just give your vet a call and ask him/her.

Good luck and I hope it's nothing serious. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

Keep us posted. :)

rainbow June 10th, 2007 03:07 AM

Hmmm....just read Teri's second post. I guess you should take him in to see the vet.

Good luck again. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

marko June 10th, 2007 08:05 AM

Hmmm Ok then I'll check it out further.

He seems perfectly healthy though - I did think that maybe he IS missing Zak (who passed a few months back)...or maybe he is entering a 'senile' phase..

But I guess a vet check is safest.

Thanks all!

Marko

rainbow June 10th, 2007 06:24 PM

I hope it's nothing, Marko.....good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

petdr June 20th, 2007 03:06 PM

Vocal changes can occur because of illness, e.g. hyperthyroidism, neoplasia of the laryngeal area, renal (kidney) disease, etc. Certainly, an anxious component can also cause vocal changes/frequency/intensity. My suggestion is to always rule out a physical cause before you attempt to claim a behavioral cause. Simple blood work will rule out many physical reasons. Go see your vet with any further questions.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490

rainbow June 20th, 2007 05:58 PM

[B]Marko,[/B] how is Ziglet doing? :fingerscr :goodvibes:

rainbow June 29th, 2007 12:25 AM

Still wondering how Ziglet is doing? :fingerscr :goodvibes:

marko July 1st, 2007 10:27 AM

I'm sorry for not posting sooner...my bad - so much wk to do that I missed this thread after I posted it.

Ziglet was checked out and I'm happy to report that he is still in great shape and that the vocalizations seem to be behavioural or psychological.

Thanks so much for your concern! :thumbs up :grouphug:

Sincerely,

marko

rainbow July 1st, 2007 02:23 PM

YAY Ziglet....I'm so glad that he is fine. :highfive: Perhaps, he's just lonely Marko.....hint hint. :D

Everest January 28th, 2009 07:03 PM

cat's voice changed

Hi Marko - i have a 10 year old Siamese male, nuetered, and in the last week his voice change also like he was going through puberty. He had a real low meow, and now it is super high - i was wondering if you ever figured out what was causing your cat's change in voice? Any help would be appreciated. - Everest