Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog training - dog behavior (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Help with Leash Training (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=25480)

Jagg April 3rd, 2006 05:20 PM

Help with Leash Training

Hi,

I've been visiting this forum for the last week getting tips on house breaking, you guys are awesome!!

I'm having a problem that i'm hoping someone could help me with. I have a puppy, almost 12 weeks old. She's a Cairn Terrier/Pug cross. she's wearing her collar just fine, but the minute I put the leash on, she's jumping all over the place, rolling around and biting the leash. I can't do anything. The minute she does calm down, I give her a treat, saying "good girl wearing her leash" she wags her tail and stands up tall, when I stand up to walk she just sits there with her head down "pouting".

Any ideas?

NaNa8 April 3rd, 2006 08:17 PM

Welcome to the site. I had that with my Lab. I just put the leash on and went about my business. She stayed in 1 place for a long time but soon started walking around with it in the house. When I took her outside, I put the leash on her and walked away from her and she soon followed. When she walked around outside with it, I picked up the leash and although she bucked at it, she ended up walking by my side. Maybe this will work. I am sure that many others will give you suggestions. The other thing is to click on "Search Forum" and then type in leash training and a new window with the threads that talk about it will pop up.

sprayeddog April 4th, 2006 08:53 AM

Well, from my experience there are a few things you can do.

If the dog is jumping on you, you can tell him "No jumping!", step on the leash so that he can't jump, and cross your arms and look up in the sky. Don't make eye contact until he's calmed down (I actually wait till he's in a DOWN position ... and that's tricky when you're looking up in the sky you have to peek from time to times to tell if he's down or not). When he's calmed down, tell him "Good boy" and release him. If he starts jumping again then do the same thing. Soon he'll realize if he jumps, he doesn't go anywhere and daddy/mommy turns into a statue so all fun stops.

Personally I wouldn't give him a treat after he's settled down ... that may translate to "If I want a treat I just jump up, till mommy tells me to stop and I'll get a treat."

Another thing I'd practise is every now and then test him by waving your hand or other objects (magazine, food, anything) above his head to see if he jumps at it. If he doesn't tell him good boy and give him a treat. If he does then tell him no jumping and repeat the test later. Soon he'll think everytime something goes above his head it's a sign to sit and he'll get a treat.

As for biting the leash, it's a No No because dogs think of the leash as extension of your hand. If he's allowed to bite on your leash now he will think it's ok to bite on your arm when you try to handle him in the future.

There are several ways to stop dogs on biting the leash. Some suggest when the dog bites the leash, you tell him "No bite" and if he doesn't stop, you take the 2 ends of the leash and push it towards his mouth so it is making him uncomfortable (but not hurting him) and he'll spit it out soon. After several times he'll get it.

Matty also had the habit of biting the leash and jumping, and I trained him not to do those with those methods. They worked very well ... for a few months, but starting when he's 9 mths old he's regressed and I'm "re-training" him again now :(.

jessi76 April 4th, 2006 09:05 AM

[QUOTE=Jagg]I'm having a problem that i'm hoping someone could help me with. I have a puppy, almost 12 weeks old. She's a Cairn Terrier/Pug cross. she's wearing her collar just fine, but the minute I put the leash on, she's jumping all over the place, rolling around and biting the leash. I can't do anything. The minute she does calm down, I give her a treat, saying "good girl wearing her leash" she wags her tail and stands up tall, when I stand up to walk she just sits there with her head down "pouting".

Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

sounds to me like playing. My dog was the same way at 12 wks... play, play, play, bite, bite, wrestle... with anything, including the leash. in fact, he chewed right through some puppy leashes.

You can spray the leash w/ a product called "bitter apple" so it tastes bad.

you could also try a harness - so the leash hooks to her back.

instead of rewarding her when she stops fighting the leash, try to encourage her to walk with you - in the most excited super-happy voice you can muster... "C'mon [dog name]! wooo! let's go! look at you! you're walking! yayyyyy, here we go! ooooh this is so FUN! wooooo" keeping it really excited and upbeat will help keep her attention on YOU and not on the leash.

*warning... neighbors may look at you funny* :)

wjranch April 4th, 2006 09:13 AM

This sounds like a pretty young pup. I'd suggest leaving a 'catch' leash on him/her while the dog is not crated and you are home with it to make sure nothing happens.
Using 2 or 3 different leashes of various length will let the pup get used to the fact that you can and WILL use control items on him/her. Just put one on for awhile, then switch to another...etc..etc..
This is a simple matter of desensitization. The pup is not used to the feeling of being pulled around by his/her neck... Same situation when you're training a new born foal (baby horse) to accept a head halter. It's not something they are born prepared for.

Like another poster mentioned, make the walk Soooooo much fun that puppy doesn't even really care that you're connected to his/her neck. Keep treats (rollover bits, cheerios..etc) in your pocket to be handed out as soon as puppy is walking and looking up at you for further direction.

Good luck!