Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Pet photography - Pet pictures (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   our little Casper (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=2539)

mona_b December 8th, 2003 08:32 PM

our little Casper

1 Attachment(s)
This is our newest member of our family.Casper is 3 months old.We adopted him from the spca.Him and his brother where found at a few weeks of age.And the poor little guy is deaf.Should have named him Shadow.He just follows us everywhere.And if he can't find us he just sits there and cries.Unfortunately in this pic you can't see his ice blue eyes.

Carina December 8th, 2003 09:28 PM

Well if you decide you don't want him anymore, just ship him on down to Michigan! White cats look so regal.

Poor wee guy, well I guess he doesn't "know" he's deaf, he just deals with it. I bet he develops a great sense of smell & eyesight to compensate! :)

mimi December 8th, 2003 09:40 PM

hi lovely one! welcome here!!!

Murph's Mom December 8th, 2003 09:53 PM

He's Beautiful!!! And if you don't want him and Carina doesn't want him...I will take him!! HE HE!

We had a white deaf cat and were able to teach her sign language. It took the same amount of time as training your dog the basics-you should give it a try!:cool:

mona_b December 8th, 2003 09:54 PM

Casper thanks you mimi.

Never in a million years Carina.LOL.But I must say he is a handful.We never use our hands to play.He has a ton of toys to play with,but like our hands to chew.And he is jumping on everything.Tables,counters you name it.And since he is deaf we are fining it hard to train him.No means nothing to him.And we are teaching him the sigh for No.He is so so with that.Everytime Casper starts biting we give him a toy to play with to distract him.5 mins later he jumps and attacks you.We tried the gentle blowing in his face,but that pisses him off more.And man he bites hard.And when he jumps on the tables ot counter,hubby puts him in the bathroom for a time out.5 mins.Not sure if he will understand this.But we don't know how to teach him since he is deaf.Anyone have any suggestions?

mona_b December 8th, 2003 10:00 PM

Sorry Murph's Mom,I was typing a thread the same time you sent yours.LOL...So I just saw yours....And my answer to you is the same as I gave Carina....Not in a million years.Hahahahahaha.:p ....so do you have some advise for me about the training?

Murph's Mom December 8th, 2003 10:46 PM

Mona b -No problem!! With a cat, a puppy and 2 kids ( and a husband, but don't tell him I said that) I suppose I have my hands full. ;)

The training thing is actually quite simple. As with your dogs you just need to be consistent and have lots of patience. You and your family will need to learn the basic signs for "no/stop, down, come and nice". They can be ASL signs or signs you agree on as a family. It will not matter to Casper as he does not know the difference!

Once you know the signs you want to use begin by every time you want Casper's attention make a vibration by touching, tapping or stepping on whatever it is that Casper is physically sitting on (tap your leg with your hand, stamp your foot lightly on the floor, knock on the counter, etc.). As with deaf people he can pick up vibrations. You only teach one new command a month and this is where the patience thing comes in! :D Now that you have Casper's attention (hopefully) be sure that every time he answers a vibration praise him up lots! Do this all the time, any time for about two weeks then you can start using the commands you want to teach him.

Everytime Casper is doing something he is not suppose to or you want to issue a command, make a vibration and issue the command. Hopefully this makes sense. Keep at it and if you have any problems or questions let me know!

mona_b December 8th, 2003 10:57 PM

Aaaaaaaaa so one big kid and one little kid,gotcha.Hehehe...I can say the same.But I tell him that.LOL...I want to thank you so much for the advice.I was wracking my brains here trying to figure this all out.Once again,I thank you so much.I will let you know how it goes.And I am sure I will have more questions.Hehehehehe.Thanks a bunch.

Murph's Mom December 8th, 2003 11:07 PM

My hubby always tells people that we have 3 children - they just never know he's refering to himself!

Your welcome. When we had our cat it seemed like nobody else on the planet knew what to do with her. I already worked with the hearing impaired so I figured I would give it a shot. I got in contact with (are you ready for this) a cat trainer and together we gave this a try. It worked!

Keep me posted!

mona_b December 8th, 2003 11:15 PM

K laughing here.Men eh.Hahahaha....WOW,there are actually cat trainers out there?Kewl...I will keep you poster for sure.Thank you.

daisy18216 December 9th, 2003 10:22 PM

Your cat is soooo cute and adorable (i bet his very soft too). Good Luck w/the training. :)

mona_b December 10th, 2003 09:55 AM

Thank you daisy.Yes he is so very soft.Especially after his bath and brushing.And the funny thing is he loves water.He decided to join me in my bath lastnight.Hahaha.Thank you,I need all the luck.This is a challenge for us.But we wouldn't have it any other way.People say we should have brought him back.I said no way.My daughter was born with a clubfoot 16 years ago.Should I have givin her up?Hell no.Ok I know there is a difference there.But still it was not Caspers fault he was born deaf.We have only had him for a month,we love him to death.

daisy18216 December 10th, 2003 11:18 PM

Your welcome mona_b

it's nice to see people will take the responsibility for a pet that has a disability.

I'm sorry to hear that about your daughter. I wish you both luck.

I use to have a all white cat except for her tail being black. she was a beautiful cat and very soft.

All the cats I ever had hated a bath.

Luba December 11th, 2003 12:49 AM

How did I miss this cutie pies picture before

Meoooow'er you are some special little kitty!!

I heard cats love Honeysuckle FYI

soooo

I bought some already cut and sealed pieces from my vet (cause if I sawed off a piece of the tree in the yard I'm sure I'd be in poop) lol

Anyway my brother has two cats, brothers named Blackie and Rockie.....well

THEY LOVE IT!!

They roll on it, rub it, play with it, sniff it, have a great ole time....soooo

all you cats out there go for the HONEYSUCKLE!!!

mona_b December 11th, 2003 09:17 AM

Thank you daisy.My daughter Kyra is still being checked by an orthapedic surgeon.She will never be able to wear heels.And is limited to some running activity.But that doesn't stop her from being a 16 year old with attitude.Hahaha....And Casper jumped in the shower with her this morning.He just loves water.

:D .

Awwww thank you Luba.He is a cutie.But a hand full.
Honeysuckle eh?I'll have to try that...Thanks for that info.:)

Murph's Mom December 11th, 2003 04:04 PM

Mona b - How goes the "vibrating"?

mona_b December 11th, 2003 08:48 PM

Not to bad.Thank you for asking.But his biting is another thing.And I mean biting.We have never played with him with our hands.He will just come up on us and start attacking our hand or arm.And when we hold him he is ok for a bit.Then all of a sudden,wham.He bites down on us hard and the ears go back.He gets pissed.Tried gently blowing in his face,but that pisses him off more.We don't pull or hand away.Usually what we do is put him down and give him one of his toys.Or else a time out in his kennel.I figured that is the best place because he doesn't sleep in there.He sleeps where ever he fells like it.So how do we break him of this.I have had cats.And yes they did this when they were young,but not like this.What should we be doing?:confused: