Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   My 11 year old german shepperd is looking for cool places! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=44241)

Richolionheart September 2nd, 2007 09:54 AM

My 11 year old german shepperd is looking for cool places!

We just moved in a new house with a bigger backyard 2 month ago.

My German Sheppard spends most of her time in the backyard (She comes in the house by herself with a small dog door)

In the last 3 days, she seems to look for cool places even if its not that hot! She loves her pillow and she use to sleep in the sun! Now she can't stand her pillow and she goes in the cool bath (with no water)to sleep or she sleeps inside a cedar in the backyard! I was calling her name today and she wouldnt answer so i went to open the cedar and saw her just lying there on the cool dirt.

Can dogs have sudden fevers? She has all her vaccines and she was operated 10 years ago so i doubt she's in heat.

Any idea will be welcome. Her Vet will open only on Monday and I doubt this is considered an emergency!

Richard & Navidad. (Nav is the dog :dog: )

mummummum September 2nd, 2007 11:12 AM

As dogs (and humans) age their internal temperature gauge can get off kilter. Have you taken her temperature? I find a rectal thermometre gives a better reding than those ear thingamabobs.

....and welcome to pets.ca ! we'd love to see a picture of your grrrrl!

hazelrunpack September 2nd, 2007 01:21 PM

Welcome to the board!

Yep, taking her temp is probably a good place to start and getting an appointment for a check up at the vet sometime this week would be a good idea, too. A sudden fever could point toward some sort of infection/illness and it's always good to get a vet's opinion on that sort of thing--especially in an older dog.

And I second that request for a picture of Navidad! :thumbs up

Richolionheart September 3rd, 2007 09:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the picture! Thanks for the advises, I'll call her vet tomorrow:fingerscr . She seems in shape, runs and jumps but she just likes it more in the cool places now!

What is a normal temp for a dog?

Thanks!

Richard & Nav!

mummummum September 3rd, 2007 09:50 AM

Normal rectal temp is about 38.5 C or 101.5 F.

She's GORGEOUS btw !

Richolionheart September 3rd, 2007 08:19 PM

I just took her temperature and it seems she is 34.2C

Could this be normal?

Thanks.

Richard

hazelrunpack September 3rd, 2007 08:32 PM

She [I]is[/I] pretty, Richolionheart! :lovestruck:

That temp seems low. Did you leave the thermometer in long enough?

mummummum September 3rd, 2007 10:36 PM

[QUOTE=Richolionheart;473043]I just took her temperature and it seems she is 34.2C

Could this be normal?

Thanks.

Richard[/QUOTE]

I think either you've made an error or your thermometer is broken:laughing:.

If you are using a mercury thermometer make certain you have shaken it down to below 95 degrees F / 35 degrees C. If it's a digital, make certain you have reset it to 0. Put a little lube on it and in insert at least 1 inch into the rectum pressing it slightly sideways so that it is touching the wall /side of the rectum. If it's mercury you can get away with 30 seconds but a minute is better. If it's digital it will beep at you when it's done but the same rule applies.

If you did all of this the first and second time ~ your thermometer is whacked !