Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog training - dog behavior (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   dog not listening- what to do first (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=6044)

rexdoggieowner August 1st, 2004 08:36 PM

dog not listening- what to do first

My dog ( 8 month old border collie) is not paying attention to me while we are on a walk... he sits when i tell him too. but he is always looking around and not listening to "lay down" or heel... he is pulling like crazy and is very persistant

question number 2.... should i get him neutered first or go to obidience classes first ?! they are both around 300.. and i have to pay for school in septemeber so i can only do 1 in august then the other around october/ maybe september ( why are those classes soooooo expensive!? arrhhh)

sammiec August 1st, 2004 09:54 PM

[QUOTE=rexdoggieowner]My dog ( 8 month old border collie) is not paying attention to me while we are on a walk... he sits when i tell him too. but he is always looking around and not listening to "lay down" or heel... he is pulling like crazy and is very persistant
question number 2.... should i get him neutered first or go to obidience classes first ?! they are both around 300.. and i have to pay for school in septemeber so i can only do 1 in august then the other around october/ maybe september ( why are those classes soooooo expensive!? arrhhh)[/QUOTE]

Hey Rex: the reason that he is not listening on your walks is because he needs training. He needs to be taught who the dominant person is in your relationship, the only proper and safe way to do that is with professional training.
He also needs to go for long jogs, hikes, runs etc. Border Collies are difficult dogs in that sense - it's hard to tell when they've really had enough!! My pit bull is the same! She can run and run, she looks tired and is panting, then bam!!! She's ready to go again in like 10 minutes!!! LuckyRescue I think said before that a good way to tell is a heavy pant, like tongue hanging to the side...Borders are a VERY high energy dog and will need lots of exercise before a trianing session in order to keep their attention.
There are very excellent training courses that are not that expensive, you just need to look around. I paid 155 including taxes for mine. My spay for Briggs was 250. That's 400 all together!!! Are you going into your last year of school? May I ask why you go the dog when you while you were in school. Do you spend a lto fo time with him when you get home? I imagine that you communte to school because I don't know of any that are in Burlington?!?! That makes for a long day - he waits for you to walk him until about 7 or 8 I'm guessing!!!

Luba August 1st, 2004 10:14 PM

Yes get him neutered! Get him into obedience class and some agility/flyball

This question could have been asked on one of the other threads u started :D

rexdoggieowner August 2nd, 2004 09:17 AM

i do commute to school... and i play/walk him in the morning, when i come home, and at night... that is pretty good..
i got the dog cause i can handel it, and school isn't much of a problem, cause i always find time for my rex :)

sammiec August 3rd, 2004 08:35 AM

I hope you don't think I was being rude. I was just wondering why, that's all. I suggest that you get him neutred first. That's the most important step; it will prevent any unwanted pregnancies and can settle him before you attempt classes. :D

rexdoggieowner August 3rd, 2004 11:27 AM

our first obidience class is today!! and i'm getting him neutered this month-- expensive like crazy.. never knew a dog could be so much money ( i do not mind paying for it at all.. just an eye opener... great training for when i have kids )

sammiec August 3rd, 2004 11:31 AM

Which instructor were you able to get in with? Did you try campaign? I thought it might be a little out of your way....but it was just a suggestion. Glad you were able to sort everything out!! Just remember that you should be extra diligent keeing him from moutning other dogs if your class is tonight; there very well could be unspayed females there...

rexdoggieowner August 3rd, 2004 12:02 PM

yes.. i already told the trainer that he wasn't neutered.. the trainer i had choosen was " don't blame em' train em' " his name is john... i did check that website out that you suggested ( thank you by the way). i am just nervous that he will be too excited to listen to me-- i'm embarrased when he doesn't know how to act when other dogs are around ( which i am fixing with the obidience classes :) )

sammiec August 3rd, 2004 12:09 PM

Do you have a link to their website? The only one I could find was in Mass. but it's an SPCA site?? :confused: Are they located in Burlington? My dad lives there, so I will recommend it to them for their little girl!! :D

Spoiled August 9th, 2004 02:06 PM

I would get him neutered first. Border Collies are very energetic dogs, so he needs a lot of excersize. He may be too excited to be out and so he doesn't listen to your commands. Run him for a while and then tell him a command. If he still doesn't listen, then he thinks he has the upper paw. Don't let him off leash while he is like this. Dominant dogs know you can't catch them, and if you do, they can put you in your place. Try to eat before you feed him, and always walk out the door before he does. Always give him a command and make sure he obeys it before giving him a treat or affection or letting him do something he wants to do.