Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog training - dog behavior (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Is there any way to explain to my Golden (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21247)

toymom November 13th, 2005 08:56 PM

Is there any way to explain to my Golden

Retriever, that if she swims and is wet that she will not be invited into the house, but if she would not swim then she could come in?
She looks so sad when I won't let her in when she is wet and yucky and I wish I could expain to her that the reason I won't let her in is because she is wet. We have a swimming pool and there is a pool fence - mesh - she chewed it up as a puppy and we wrapped it in chicken wire, but it is only 4 feet and she jumps it. I don't think we should train her never to swim - in the summer when it is hot, it is probably good for her. It is still pretty warm here in north Texas - unseasonably so, but the water is colder than people like and we would not go in there. A friend of mine told me her dog that was half golden used to swim in the creek when there was ice on it, so it seems that cold weather may not deter her. She did not swim much until this summer and now, she does not seem to want to stop.
Thank you, Dana

Prin November 13th, 2005 09:58 PM

I think the best thing you can do is train her that when she is wet, she has to lay on a towel for a while. I don't think excluding her from the home is the best answer...

Lucky Rescue November 13th, 2005 10:24 PM

Pretty hard to keep a retriever out of the water, since they were bred to go into it.

I suggest you fix or change the fence so she cannot get into the pool when you don't want her to.

toymom November 13th, 2005 11:31 PM

[QUOTE=Prin]I think the best thing you can do is train her that when she is wet, she has to lay on a towel for a while. I don't think excluding her from the home is the best answer...[/QUOTE]
I can try that - she has a "place" that is a dog bed - I just got it at costco for only $19.99 - it is decorative and functional and the kids like it too - I think it has cedar or something in it - so I don't want her on that wet, but I could try a towel area in the kitchen - especially if she swims when it is cold - I won't make her stay out - my other option is to put her in the laundry room - she can go from the backyard through the gate through the garage to the laundry room and not be on carpet - we do that when she is too muddy to enter the house.
Training her to stay on a towel sounds good though. We will eventually replace that pool fence, but we got a new puppy, so she may chew up a new one and I am not sure if they come taller than 4 feet and then what if Honey tries to jump that? I was going to just start leaving one section of the pool fence open once I get a new one unless the kids are out so she would not have to jump the fence, but now I don't know about having the puppy in the pool area - the puppy is of unknown breed and has not swam - do they just know how naturally? We actually swam with Honey and showed her where the pool steps were her first summer with us.

Beetlecat November 14th, 2005 01:27 AM

I think that is just too abstract a concept for a dog to understand. It's just one of those things where you will just have to find a solution that works for you.

If I could, I'd teach my dog that rolling in cow turds means you get a bath. Or that it's not polite to fart when you're lying at my feet.. oh, how I wish I could train that one :D

BMDLuver November 14th, 2005 08:29 AM

I think the laundry room is probably the best solution. I have a mud room... when it's raining out and the dogs get all mucky, I give them a decent towelling off and keep them in the mud room until they are relatively dry. I have a baby gate up so they can still see everything that is going on and feel part of the family.

maddoxies November 14th, 2005 09:57 AM

Try taking a bath sheet or beach towel and making a "bathrobe" using diaper pins (for their size and safety). Pin it under her chin and belly.

If you would like a proper bathrobe (maybe from "Santa") pm me, I know a source that makes them for dogs. My mini doxie loves hers. We use it daily after her water therapy.

babykitten March 3rd, 2008 10:45 PM

[QUOTE=toymom;194130]Retriever, that if she swims and is wet that she will not be invited into the house, but if she would not swim then she could come in?
She looks so sad when I won't let her in when she is wet and yucky and I wish I could expain to her that the reason I won't let her in is because she is wet. We have a swimming pool and there is a pool fence - mesh - she chewed it up as a puppy and we wrapped it in chicken wire, but it is only 4 feet and she jumps it. I don't think we should train her never to swim - in the summer when it is hot, it is probably good for her. It is still pretty warm here in north Texas - unseasonably so, but the water is colder than people like and we would not go in there. A friend of mine told me her dog that was half golden used to swim in the creek when there was ice on it, so it seems that cold weather may not deter her. She did not swim much until this summer and now, she does not seem to want to stop.
Thank you, Dana[/QUOTE] dry her off complety

MIA March 3rd, 2008 11:01 PM

Be thankful she's swimming in clean water, my dog likes to swim in stinky ditches!!!! Just dry her off and put her on her bed.