Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Deaf Cat Need Rehoming ASAP! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=16634)

SOS MIOW June 23rd, 2005 09:52 AM

Deaf Cat Need Rehoming ASAP!

1 Attachment(s)
Meet Casper. He was one of our rescues and was adopted out a couple of months ago to a wonderful young woman who is heartbroken at having to give him up. Reason: Casper is deaf and meows VERY loudly. She is in an apartment and the neighbors have been complaining. The landlord has now given her notice that the cat is a "nuisance" (this is legal according to the rental board) and she has to find a new home for him ASAP.

Casper is a gorgeous white male (neutered) with a plume for a tail. He is wonderful with people but not with other cats. He is in excellent health other than the fact that he is deaf. He will need a home where (a) he cannot go outside (for obvious reasons, as he can't hear if a car of coming), and (b) where his loud meowing won't disturb anyone.

I know this is a tall order, but we have to do something fast. Our adoption contract stipulates that a cat must be returned to us if the owner can't keep it for any reason. However, we no longer have our shelter and my volunteers are already max'd out fostering the cats we had left.

Please help!

SOS MIOW June 24th, 2005 06:45 PM

UPDATE: The owner of Casper has asked other rescues to help her find a home for Casper. She has also notified me that the cat must be out of the apartment by Tuesday night at the latest. If we still had our shelter, it would be no problem to take him back; however, all of our volunteers are full up with cats. Anyone out there want to foster Casper for us?

mona_b June 25th, 2005 01:05 AM

OMG,he looks just like my Casper.But my Casper has ice blue eyes.And yes he too is deaf.

I truly hope he finds a great home with someone who has patience and understanding for him.

:fingerscr

SOS MIOW June 25th, 2005 01:36 AM

I don't suppose you would be interested in having a second deaf white cat (?) Imagine the meowing ......

mona_b June 25th, 2005 02:14 AM

[QUOTE=SOS MIOW]I don't suppose you would be interested in having a second deaf white cat (?) Imagine the meowing ......[/QUOTE]

I wish.But we already have 2 cats.Casper has a "sister" Winnie.Casper is 21 months and Winnie is 15 months.And we have a GSD.

As for the excessive Meowing,I don't have that problem with my Casper.He rarely meows.

SOS MIOW July 2nd, 2005 10:01 AM

Foster Home Found

Casper is now in a foster home.

Angelboys May 31st, 2007 12:27 PM

Deaf Community looking for deaf cats and dogs

Hi. Through search for my own White Persian that is lost, I discovered that there is a great need in the deaf community for deaf animals.

I know one person right now that is looking for a deaf male kitten preferably, though she may take Casper. She is in the Atlanta area. There are also two men cousins that are looking for deaf dogs and a cat. I have been writing emails back and forth telling I would help. I found this out through the atalanta.craiglist pets section. They have a keyword function, but the words have to be in the titles. - ie. deaf, kitten adopt.

Where is Casper, love the name, located? Could travel be arranged? There was mention of another deaf cat as well. Please tell me more, and I will help to coordinate. I am interested in helping connect the whole deaf community connect with deaf animals. I will start with Casper and the others. I am interested in any resources any one has to help in the effort. Deaf people have a very difficult time locating deaf animals. I am interested in sites or resources on both sides to help coordinate this effort. I will be setting up a site for this sometime in the future.

Please contact Traci at trueleverage4u at earthlink dot net email Thank you.

Mahealani770 June 13th, 2007 08:24 AM

Hey there Angeldogs! I'm in Duluth, GA...small world, eh! I would have loved to take Casper, but I have a female cat and a male Pom so I supposed he wouldn't get along with either of them. Please let me know if you need any help with your new endeavors with the deaf community.

~Mahealani~

CyberKitten June 13th, 2007 04:01 PM

I wish I was closer!!!! I have Siamese and well, being used to loud and cats who have a large and loud vocabulary is nothing new. My sister lives in Mtl tho - so I am thinking about this!!!! I'd have to adopt him when I have time off- I consider adopting a pet akin to adopting a pet!!

He is sooo beautiful - love white cats!! (Tho I love all cats, lol). When do you need to know by?

CyberKitten June 13th, 2007 04:03 PM

Oh dear - I just read he is not good with other cats (How did they slip by, sigh!!)

I will ask around tho - it is not uncommon for people here to go to Mtl or Quebec and my parents live on the Qc border.

And then I see he has a foster home - I do hope he finds a forever home!!! Good luck!! He is such a beautiful cat - anyone would be lucky to have him. I had one hearing impaired cat (I am the pc person here, lol - my involvement with disabilities makes me sensitive to it I guess) and loud was prob calling his meow lightly, :laughing: He never heard himself so he jut opened his mouth and I am sure (like my Siamese) you could hear him in the next province, lol

BMDLuver June 13th, 2007 04:49 PM

The original post is from 2005!

CyberKitten June 13th, 2007 09:01 PM

I think I am more tired than I realize in that case, lol I do hope this kitty is doing OK though. :)