Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ontario Humane Societies (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71439)

Love4himies July 12th, 2010 01:42 PM

Ontario Humane Societies

Does anybody know if Ontario Humane Societies are obligated by law to keep strays for a certain length of time before euthanising or putting up for adoption?

aslan July 12th, 2010 01:44 PM

as far as i know L4,,unless they are in severe pain or beyond help they're supposed to be held from 3-7 days. NoahGrey would probably know.

BenMax July 12th, 2010 01:48 PM

[QUOTE=Melinda;936383]I know at ours, that after 3 days a stray belongs to them or to whoever found it, this was told to me when I found Whisper, I reported it, told them I'd be keeping her here to look after her, Bonnie (investigator) came to check her out , take a pic, scan her and told me in 72 hours she would belong to me 100% to do with as I please.[/QUOTE]

Does this person trust everyone like she trusts you Melinda? Is it common practice to give back intact animals to finders? If so, then it is wrong in my opinion.

BenMax July 12th, 2010 01:53 PM

[QUOTE=Melinda;936391]what??? intact animal?? give back?? what the heck??? *L*[/QUOTE]

:offtopic:I am referring to when you found Whisper. Now what if you found another that was intact...or better yet, was Whisper already sterilized? I can appreciate that this person trusts you to do right, but would she the general public to give an animal back and do what they will? Just curious.

BenMax July 12th, 2010 02:05 PM

:offtopic: Too late - I pm'd you Melinda. Got the message, now you have mine.

Good luck finding your answer L4H. Tell me - do you have a concern?

Love4himies July 12th, 2010 02:17 PM

Thank you everybody.

Yes, I do, BenMax. My co-worker found a starving, declawed stray cat on the weekend. :yell::yell::frustrated::frustrated::mad::mad:. She took it to the local Humane Society (Not OSPCA, but an affiliate) and she was told that the HS was under no obligation to keep any cat for any period of time. The cat is microchipped so hopefully they will find somebody who has been looking for their kitty and not owners who just left a declawed cat outside to defend itself.

She also wanted them to call her if they were going to euthanize him and she will pull him out, but they won't call her for that either :(.

BenMax July 12th, 2010 02:19 PM

[QUOTE=Love4himies;936403]Thank you everybody.

Yes, I do, BenMax. My co-worker found a starving, declawed stray cat on the weekend. :yell::yell::frustrated::frustrated::mad::mad:. She took it to the local Humane Society (Not OSPCA, but an affiliate) and she was told that the HS was under no obligation to keep any cat for any period of time. The cat is microchipped so hopefully they will find somebody who has been looking for their kitty and not owners who just left a declawed cat outside to defend itself.

She also wanted them to call her if they were going to euthanize him and she will pull him out, but they won't call her for that either :(.[/QUOTE]

Ok L4H. This is horrible. They should be able to provide information before any euthanasia is to take place. If I were her, I would contact the director immediately to express concern. If she can get this cat back and if no owner is found, please let me know and I will help with finding a rescue. Cheers Girl!

Chris21711 July 12th, 2010 02:27 PM

L4H - I know right now the OSPCA in Newmarket hold Animal Control contracts with 3 surrounding towns Markham, Aurora and Richmond Hill and it depends on the requirement of the town e.g. Aurora requested that all strays coming from there are held for 10 days, Markham 7 days, Richmond Hill :shrug:....Our Animal Control holds for 5 business days.

The animal control that your co-worker took the kittie to, sound like a real nasty outfit :frustrated:

Love4himies July 12th, 2010 02:29 PM

[QUOTE=BenMax;936404]Ok L4H. This is horrible. They should be able to provide information before any euthanasia is to take place. If I were her, I would contact the director immediately to express concern. If she can get this cat back and if no owner is found, please let me know and I will help with finding a rescue. Cheers Girl![/QUOTE]

Thanks BenMax, she is trying to find a rescue for him. She told me he is a doll :cloud9:. He is neutered and a great personality so hopefully won't have a problem getting to the adoption room :pray:

Love4himies July 12th, 2010 02:30 PM

[QUOTE=Chris21711;936407]L4H - I know right now the OSPCA in Newmarket hold Animal Control contracts with 3 surrounding towns Markham, Aurora and Richmond Hill and it depends on the requirement of the town e.g. Aurora requested that all strays coming from there are held for 10 days, Markham 7 days, Richmond Hill :shrug:....Our Animal Control holds for 5 business days.

The animal control that your co-worker took the kittie to, sound like a real nasty outfit :frustrated:[/QUOTE]

It's not even animal control, it it a humane society, but they do have high kill rates. :(

Chris21711 July 12th, 2010 02:33 PM

[QUOTE=Love4himies;936410]It's not even animal control, it it a humane society, but they do have high kill rates. :([/QUOTE]

That makes them even more disgusting.....the Newmarket branch of the OSPCA apparently haven't got a good record (especially after this latest fiasco) but as far as strays they have to abide by their contract with the towns involved.

Frenchy July 12th, 2010 03:31 PM

[QUOTE=BenMax;936404] If I were her, I would contact the director immediately to express concern. [/QUOTE]

Good answer BM , I would too , this would put pressure so the cat wouldn't get :rip: by them.

good luck to your friend L4H :fingerscr

chico2 July 12th, 2010 04:18 PM

OMG L4H,that is disgusting,what part of Humane did this person on the phone not understand:confused:,I would report it for sure..
If I was the lady that found him,I would get him out of there now,this nasty person on the phone might just kill him out of spite.

Love4himies July 12th, 2010 06:06 PM

The owner has been located. A preteen girl whose parents are divorced and whose mother has moved over and over so they didn't keep up to date info on the microchip.:frustrated:.

Many people have stopped their donations to this humane society because of their policies. BTW, it is NOT the one I volunteer with.

If anybody knows if Ontario has a law regarding minimum time a shelter has to keep a pet please let me know.

Thank you everybody and especially BenMax for the offer to help.

Tundra_Queen July 12th, 2010 10:33 PM

When I worked at the Chatham HS many years ago, we kept a stray for 7 days and then it could be adopted.