Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Gardening (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Garden Mole deterrant (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=69851)

Dog Dancer April 27th, 2010 11:56 AM

Garden Mole deterrant

Okay, so I found this recipe on the internet and one site says it poisons the moles the other site says it makes their skin burn and they don't like it so they move on.

Combine one cup of Murphy's Oil Soap, one ounce of castor oil and 1/4 cup of cayenne pepper with two cups of water. Pour the mixture into the mole holes.

Haven't tried it yet, but as soon as I find the Murphy's Oil I'm going to give it a shot.

Melinda April 27th, 2010 12:06 PM

last year we were plaqued with the little buggers, ok I have to admit they are cute!!! every year we tramp down the tunnels to put our lawn back to normal, but last year was unreal *L* so I was told by an old farmer to drop a garlic bud down each hole, I did........this year, not one single mole/vole tunnel to be found, coinscidence or did it work??

Dog Dancer April 27th, 2010 12:29 PM

Hey Melinda - I will have to try the garlic thing too! I know you said some time back to put moth balls down the holes, and I tried that. Dumped three or four down each hole, tamped down the holes. Two weeks later the little pin heads had pushed them all back out the holes!! :wall: I'm not allowed to put the dogs out on the front lawn because hubby doesn't want brown spots, but the moles are making a bigger mess than the dogs do :laughing: I guess the last laugh goes to the dogs because the lawn is still a mess and it's not their fault.

Melinda April 27th, 2010 12:32 PM

*L* moth balls took care of a few of them here....but like you they pushed them out...garlics weren't pushed out so I don't know if they ate them or if its just an "off" year for them and the population is down....you never know

hazelrunpack April 27th, 2010 03:08 PM

Man, the populations are sure not down here!!! :eek: The dogs love to excavate along the tunnels...so we have miles of ditches.... *sigh*

Garlic, eh? :evil:

Dog Dancer May 10th, 2010 02:58 PM

Well my moles are back so I've stuffed a pile of garlic down the first three hills/holes. I see a new one very near to that this morning, tonight I will be out there stomping in some more garlic. I sure hope they aren't Italian moles that like garlic....:frustrated:

Winston May 10th, 2010 03:02 PM

I was told that if you buy double bubble bubble gum and place one in each hole the mole will eat it and die because apparently their bodies cant digest it. :shrug:

Frenchy May 10th, 2010 03:12 PM

[QUOTE=Dog Dancer;917078] I sure hope they aren't Italian moles that like garlic....:frustrated:[/QUOTE]

just don't put bread and butter near :laughing:

hazelrunpack May 10th, 2010 08:34 PM

[QUOTE=Winston;917082]I was told that if you buy double bubble bubble gum and place one in each hole the mole will eat it and die because apparently their bodies cant digest it. :shrug:[/QUOTE]
I heard that, too...only it was Juicy Fruit in the version I heard. It doesn't work, by the way. Just makes 'em stronger :D

By the way, DD, if you use that mole deterrent recipe, keep in mind that the caster oil is toxic to dogs, so be careful! And do let us know if it works. :thumbs up