Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Post-neuter swelling? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=63540)

p13m4n June 19th, 2009 11:16 AM

Post-neuter swelling?

I had my dog neutered on the 16th, at the OSCPA Spay Neuter Clinic. There's swelling, making it look like he still has testicles. Normal stuff, I guess. I have found something weird, though: I can feel a single 'ball.' It's on the right side, and it almost feels like they forgot to take one out. Could this just be normal swelling?

Thanks.

diandpat June 19th, 2009 11:23 AM

OMG your dog is so adorable. What breed is he???? Such a sweet avatar.

It has not been that long really since the neuter so the swelling is indeed normal. There is semen that "gets caught" and takes a while for it to be absorbed. If you are really worried, call back the clinic and see...I sincerely doubt they would forget to take one out. Probably scar tissue :shrug:

Could luck and when Tiko is up to it, some pics would be nice :p

p13m4n June 19th, 2009 11:53 AM

[QUOTE=diandpat;791850]OMG your dog is so adorable. What breed is he???? Such a sweet avatar.

It has not been that long really since the neuter so the swelling is indeed normal. There is semen that "gets caught" and takes a while for it to be absorbed. If you are really worried, call back the clinic and see...I sincerely doubt they would forget to take one out. Probably scar tissue :shrug:

Could luck and when Tiko is up to it, some pics would be nice :p[/QUOTE]

He's a Golden Retriever, and the avatar is from when he was around 6 months old. It's too bad I lost all of his puppy pictures.

Rottielover June 19th, 2009 11:53 AM

yes it is normal, I found that out the hard way when I had harley neutered. I called my vet panicking that they forgot to remove something, LOL

diandpat June 19th, 2009 11:58 AM

LOL...why don't they warn us????? :frustrated: We called too about Hobo's neuter. My vet was very "to the point"...they are blue balls!!!!:laughing::laughing:

It is freaky though and they were sooooooo dark.

Give it a few days p13m4n (goes off to check picture threads :rolleyes::rolleyes: )

hazelrunpack June 19th, 2009 11:59 AM

We had some post-operative swelling with Cole, too. I think what you're feeling is basically a clot in the middle of the sack. Don't mess with it too much because you want the leaky vessels to close off and clots are your best friend. :D

Cool compresses will help bring down the swelling--and limit his activity as much as you can. I wouldn't let him loose outside at all--leash walk him when he needs to do his business outside. Only short walks for a while, too.

If the swelling doesn't begin to subside soon, the vet can aspirate some of the serum from the sac with a needle. I know...it sounds awful...:o But Cole didn't even notice it :shrug:

Masha June 19th, 2009 02:46 PM

Yup, we had a very similar scare.

A few days after we noticed that it looked like 'they' were growing back. by day 7 or so or it looked just like it did before the surgery.... we were so panicked that there is an infection or who knows what else and called the vet; they said its probably nothing that often there is some substance (blood, tissue, dont remember what...) that often gathers there after surgery but if we are concerned we can bring him in free of charge for the vet to take a quick look. We did bring him in, they felt his 'things' and declared it to be normal and for us to go home :)

Gail P June 19th, 2009 10:17 PM

My vet pre-warned me that there could be swelling and said to bring them back in if the swelling exceeded the post-op size and/or was inflamed looking around the sutures.

p13m4n July 3rd, 2009 09:34 AM

Welp, everything has healed nicely and looks normal, except the 'ball' is still there. I now legitimately think they left one in. I can feel two testicular cords, or rather, spermatic cord, as it's usually called, one which leads to nothing, and one which leads to the 'ball.' What now?

Refer to:
[url]http://www.pfizerah.com/PAHimages/common/dog_tract2.jpg[/url]

bendyfoot July 3rd, 2009 09:58 AM

Did the vet every mention the possibility of an undecended testicle? Although I can't imagine how they'd "forget" and leave one there. I think it's time for a recheck, most vets won't charge for a surgical follow-up visit.

hazelrunpack July 3rd, 2009 10:17 AM

Depending on how bad the swelling was, there might still be a 'clot' in there--Cole had one that was slowly resorbed by the body.

If you suspect your vet really left a testicle I think I'd go to another for the recheck, though :o A neuter is a relatively uncomplicated surgery--if the vet messed up that badly, I'd be changing vets.

p13m4n July 3rd, 2009 10:38 AM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;796504]Depending on how bad the swelling was, there might still be a 'clot' in there--Cole had one that was slowly resorbed by the body.

If you suspect your vet really left a testicle I think I'd go to another for the recheck, though :o A neuter is a relatively uncomplicated surgery--if the vet messed up that badly, I'd be changing vets.[/QUOTE]

How firm was it?

hazelrunpack July 3rd, 2009 10:40 AM

Pretty darn firm. I didn't mess with it too much, but it was definitely solid. It slowly got smaller over a few weeks and finally disappeared.