Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Birds (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Baby Pigeons (Photos & Updates) (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=63482)

TwinTails June 16th, 2009 02:37 PM

Baby Pigeons (Photos & Updates)

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some new pics of my babies, Ozzy & Reno (they gave me thier names, I had no part in it, lol). First is a pic of their new digs, a giant rabbit/guinea pig cage with a rubbermaid tub in it, filled with fabric & a ceramic dog dish filled with shavings. Babies are great at poopinbg over the sides of thier "nest", making it much easier to clean ;) Heat lamp is set on other side of the cage, close but not right over them (as it's not a controlled heat, and I don't want to cook the babies). They sleep much better now, don't get cold and are eating more :)

Second and Third are of Ozzy & Reno, Fighting around dinner time yesterday, lol. They did have different colored beaks but are now almost identical in shape and size. So, I will figure out who they are in the next couple of days, as their feathers "poofed" last night (they no longer look like nekkid birdies, lol).

More to come :)

TwinTails June 16th, 2009 02:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ozzy & Reno again. Dinner time last night. They like being fed in that bowl with shavings in it - they don't flop around and make a mess, lol. These kiddos are awesome! I love being their Momma - they are learning quickly (one finger snap is the call to come over here - I hope to keep using it when they start flying). :cloud9:

More pics later when I feed them again :lovestruck:

ancientgirl June 16th, 2009 02:40 PM

Aww, they're cute! What do you feed baby pigeons?

TwinTails June 16th, 2009 02:52 PM

Right now they are getting a mix of: oatmeal, baby food (veggie & fruit), flax, cracked bran & soaked rabbit food (just a bit, to get the grains they need). This is mixed with water until it's kinda a thick pea soup/stew type consistency. I got the mix from reading online and talking with locals who hand raise all kinds of birds (doves, pigeons, cockatiels, parrots, etc).

I use a water bottle (2 cup), filled with the mix, warmed to body temp. I cut a bit of rubber glove to fit over the top (fixed with elastics), cut a tiny hole in it (big enough to get their beaks in with it spilling over them). They eat like crazy out of that, much better than using the syringe idea. When I used the syringe, it would take 45 mins to feed them both, now it taks about 15 mins, and that includes clean up :thumbs up This morning they each ate about 1/2 cup of mash, and were still willing to eat more! Their crops were nicely filled, so I have to watch them as they won't stop eating, lol. But this way I only feed them every 4 1/2 - 5 hours, and they are growing rapidly! Both are the same size now, very difficult to tell them apart, lol.

It's work, but you know, they are worth it :cloud9:

ancientgirl June 16th, 2009 02:55 PM

That's great. How wonderful of you to help them like this.

TwinTails June 16th, 2009 02:59 PM

Yeah I couldn't leave them to die :sad: Besides, it would have been illegal for the Mall to leave them to die, as well the local SPCA & Wildlife Park couldn't do anything for them (SPCA said let them die, there's too many already :mad:). So my brother called me and I went up there to get them. They are doing great and are very sweet boogers :rolleyes:

ancientgirl June 16th, 2009 03:00 PM

[QUOTE=TwinTails;791003] (SPCA said let them die, there's too many already :mad:)[/QUOTE]

I wonder sometimes about some of these organizations. How compassionate are they really?

TwinTails June 16th, 2009 03:04 PM

I hear yah! I worked with one for many years - I eventually had to quit because of the idiots I worked with (and legislation from head office). I prefer to help out smaller organizations now, less heartbreak and stress (IMHO).

chico2 June 16th, 2009 03:46 PM

TwinTails,I have about 30 Pigeons coming to my feeders every day,but have never seen a young one or a baby.
It will be great to watch these guys grow,hopefully with your care they'll be fine:fingerscr
I don't understand how they could say"let them die,there are too many already",every life is precious.
There is too many people in the world,don't feed them,let them die:evil:
I don't understand how any wild-life people can think that way..
We love"our"Pigeons,some are really beautiful,especially the white ones,or speckled white/gray ones also,they eat all the left-over seeds on the ground,which is great.

Melinda June 16th, 2009 04:15 PM

you are doing such a wonderful job, I love seeing the pics, and "too many of them" we're over populated but we still keep having children....*L* I love my pigeons that come here to eat

chico2 June 16th, 2009 04:28 PM

Melinda,you should see all ours,in the winter we have sometimes up to 45 Pigeons.
They are kind enough not to poop on our car:laughing:
In the summer they are less,but we love to sit and watch them.
It really gets to me when people say,too many Bears,too many wolves or whatever:evil:

TwinTails June 16th, 2009 04:34 PM

Oh I agree! Too many...well maybe humans should stop reproducing at outrageous rates *coughoctomomcough* :laughing:

But they are doing great. I just went out and bought them some baby cereal (wheat, rye, corn, millet, etc) with oils, vitamins and fruit. Perfect for these babies :cool: They will get some of this mixed with their oatmeal mash later today :) More pictures will come as soon as I cool off and relax a bit (helping my parents move the last of their stuff out of our place).

chico2 June 16th, 2009 04:36 PM

TT,looking forward to more pics:thumbs up

dogcatharmony June 16th, 2009 04:40 PM

oh goodness they are adorable. I look forward to seeing more pics of them growing up. Soooo cute.

TwinTails June 16th, 2009 07:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Alrighty, here are more pics! The babies seemed to enjoy their new pablum better than the oatmeal mush. I added a bit of the mush to the pablum, just to cool it a bit and hopefully not upset their tummies (I'm not sure if birds can have digestive upsets like cats or dogs when switiching foods :confused:). Anyways, they are now walking around their rubbermaid tube, heading to the bowl of shavings to warm up and then wander around to inspect things. Do pigeons like toys? Maybe I should invest in some bird-safe craft supplies (leather, wood balls, cubes, bells, etc).

Anyways, on to the pics!

First is Ozzy. He's very calm compared to Reno. He waits in the feeding "nest" until I bring the bottle close to him. He eats easily, though does protest when I remove it ;)

Next is Reno. She is visably smaller than Ozzy, so that at least helps me a bit. Though unless I am looking directly at them (face to face), I can't see any difference in size. She is a screamer! Even after she was full, she was flapping around protesting the removal of the food :laughing: She's a bit of a drama queen ;) I may have to call her Diva :p

Last is them together. Ozzy was walking around the table top, pecking at the camera, and harassing my hands :lovestruck: Reno was still screaming for more food, but Ozzy was quite satisfied with just hanging out :)

Anyways, enough of my blabbering, enjoy the pics!

Melinda June 16th, 2009 07:26 PM

I'd love to see a picture of them eating if thats possible, I want to see your invention *L* keep up with the pics, Im enjoying them!!

TwinTails June 16th, 2009 07:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Sure thing! I will take pics of them feeding tonight. For now here are pics of the bottle :)

The water bottle is washed well, lid removed. I cut a finger from a rubber glove, which is also washed inside and out. I cover the mouth of the bottle with the glove, and wrap small elstic bands to keep it from slipping. I make a small incision in the glove for the birds' beaks. I can also cap it to save for later, or put in a funnel (through the glove) to fill it up. Makes feeding much easier - the babies don't get as much food on them (Reno dribbles a bit doen her neck, but Ozzy is very clean), making clean up a breeze. And the food doesn't get cold between feeding the two ;)

Takes a total of about 15 mins, 20 if I am slow, lol. They eat well and don't spend as much time crying for food than if I used the syringe. I recommend this to anyone who wants to save a bit of time/cleaning/etc. :) I think this would be great if you had many babies to feed (provided they are already kept together, since I wouldn't want cross contamination to occur). Also, after each day I completely empty the bottle, clean it, replace the glove and make a new batch of food. This avoids spoilage.

Hope this helps gives an idea of how it works :) It's basically the syringe method upgraded for voracious eaters ;)

Dee-O-Gee June 16th, 2009 09:13 PM

Holy smokes TT--what an amazing thread! :lightbulb:

I love the water bottle idea and can't wait to see the feeding pics. :thumbs up

chico2 June 17th, 2009 06:39 AM

This is really very interesting and lots of info.
It looks to me like they are doing great.
Although I love all birdies,these babies are not the cutest I've seen:laughing:but still cute,since they are babies,makes sense:confused:
I suppose they grow in to the large beaks..
You know,you are now totally committed to keep us in the loop:stork-baby:

Melinda June 17th, 2009 08:21 AM

wow, that is really neat!!! thanks

TwinTails June 17th, 2009 12:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Aww Chico, they are much cuter in person...maybe because I feed them (a face that only a mother could love? LOL!). I got one pic of Ozzy eating - they were very hungry today and not impressed that their food was thinner today (I thought maybe they needed lighter food, but nope, they need it a teeny bit thicker).

I've decided to name the little one Diva, since she's a total Diva, lol! She freaks out over every little thing :crazy: Ozzy is still the cool one, he'll just sit around, chirping at me and watching everything I do :cool: Last one is the two again, Diva in the bowl and Ozzy chillin' :laughing:

Melinda, I will be happy to oblige your demand ;)

ancientgirl June 17th, 2009 12:43 PM

That's really an excellent idea you had there with that bottle.

TwinTails June 17th, 2009 12:51 PM

Thanks AG! I kept thinking there must be an easier way to feed such hungry babies (thinking back to bottle feeding kittens, I ended using very large syringes so I could feed them and not lose my hands in between the babes, lol). Since the bottle is large, I can control how much the birds are eating and how fast. It works well and I'm very pleased with it :D

ancientgirl June 17th, 2009 12:54 PM

How long before they start getting more feathers?

TwinTails June 17th, 2009 01:32 PM

Every day more and more feathers poof out (the little capsules that enclose the feather drops, and the feather is fluffy). By the age of 20-23 days they should have most, if not all, their feathers :)

ancientgirl June 17th, 2009 01:37 PM

And of course we'll get pictures of the progress.:D

TwinTails June 17th, 2009 01:38 PM

;) You betcha!

chico2 June 17th, 2009 01:50 PM

TT,I did not mean they are ugly,I'd love them to bits:lovestruck:
It seems they are growing with every new pic,you are doing an amazing job,being a Pigeon mama:grouphug:

TwinTails June 17th, 2009 01:55 PM

No worries Chico, I know what you meant :D They are funny looking for sure! But yes adore they are too (although all new birdies to me are funny looking, lol). Thank you for the hugs! :grouphug:

Melinda June 17th, 2009 02:21 PM

what wonderful pictures *L* I think your feeding method is just great!! and I'll steal the idea next time I'm brought a dove, I really detest tube feeding!! Diva sounds perfect for her *L*