Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat food forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   My cat not thrilled about her foodie anymore (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=72705)

Koteburo September 22nd, 2010 05:03 AM

My cat not thrilled about her foodie anymore

Hi, I could use some advice here :)

Scully (my cat) is healthy, not long ago she had a general checking at the vet, she acts normal and all except that she's not very thrilled with her food anymore.
At the I beginning used to give her dry food (she loved it) but she used to vomit a lot, because she ate it fast and too much, I changed to canned food and she loved it. But about 4 weeks ago she eats her food but when she sees it, it's like.. "Oh more of this" and sniffs it, leaves and later comes back and eats a little and so on until she eats most (always leaves left overs). So I changed back to dry (this time trying whiskas) she liked it better, more enthusiastic than before but still not thrilled about it really.
She gets hungry but just not too excited about eating what I'm giving her.

Any options that you could advice? :p

Love4himies September 22nd, 2010 06:28 AM

I truly believe that some cats can get bored of their food, while others can't stand change, lol. Perhaps you have one that gets bored :shrug:.

Here is some reading on cat food:

[url]http://www.catinfo.org/[/url]

This one is more on the technical side of cat nutrition:

[url]http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm[/url]

To make the best decisions, one must be informed and know the facts ;).

Canned food is best for cats, they have a very low thirst drive and should get their water from food, it is a much more efficient way to get water into them. Think about yourself eating cookies all day, then trying to lap up water with your tongue. I would think a person would be chronically thirsty :shrug:.

So I would change her food to something that is more nutritious and one that she likes. Some good ones that I have fed to my cats are:

Wellness, canned, the grain free varieties (Jasper can't have grains)
Nature's Variety Instinct, canned (many flavours to choose from with this brand)
Organics by Nature (cat's weren't too crazy about it, but it is a good food)
For treats they get Almo (canned). It is pure meat so it is for treats only as it is not nutritionally complete. But all my cats go crazy for it, so it is nice to add for variety.

Koteburo September 22nd, 2010 07:23 PM

Thank you so much. I'll check on that.
Cats tend to be picky but omg Scully is so bad I've tried giving her fish (tuna and sardines, turkey, chicken, the ones I eat just as a test) and she's like... Ew! give me my cat food :laughing: I'm like "Scully are you a cat even?" :laughing: No fish???

Anyway's I'll look into that. Thank you.

And sowee to the mods for posting this in the wrong section (I guess I missed the obvious "Cat food forums" :p

14+kitties September 22nd, 2010 10:05 PM

[QUOTE=Koteburo;953881]Thank you so much. I'll check on that.
Cats tend to be picky but omg Scully is so bad I've tried giving her fish (tuna and sardines, turkey, chicken, the ones I eat just as a test) and she's like... Ew! give me my cat food :laughing: I'm like "Scully are you a cat even?" :laughing: No fish???[/QUOTE]

Actually, if you think about it it really isn't that unusual. Fish for a cat living in the wild or on a farm is far from something they would eat. How many times have you seen a cat by the side of a river trying to catch a fish? Not to mention with the levels of mercury and not knowing what fish are being used in cat food fish is not a great choice for cats.

Koteburo September 23rd, 2010 06:01 AM

Well my kitties at my parents Catuary love tuna, they go crazy just with the smell. They eat cat food normaly, but sometimes they treat them with tuna or sardines and they go nuts all of them.

There is an island in a western state of Mexico populated by a lot of cats and they fish. They're feral cats and they fish from the river close to the sea.
But that is an unusual occurrence. Somehow they adapted to their environment.

Anyways yeah in the wild they don't eat fish, but all the kitties I've known so far (except Scully) love fish as in they go evil about it.

The levels of mercury are worth to give it a thought. Who knows what fish they use for the canned food, you're right about that.
I won't try fish with her anyway :thumbs up

MissPurryJess October 11th, 2010 04:51 PM

[QUOTE=Koteburo;953934]Well my kitties at my parents Catuary love tuna, they go crazy just with the smell. They eat cat food normaly, but sometimes they treat them with tuna or sardines and they go nuts all of them.

[B]There is an island in a western state of Mexico populated by a lot of cats and they fish. They're feral cats and they fish from the river close to the sea.
But that is an unusual occurrence. Somehow they adapted to their environment.[/B]

Anyways yeah in the wild they don't eat fish, but all the kitties I've known so far (except Scully) love fish as in they go evil about it.

The levels of mercury are worth to give it a thought. Who knows what fish they use for the canned food, you're right about that.
I won't try fish with her anyway :thumbs up[/QUOTE]

That sounds incredible - I would pay to see that!! My cats can't even catch a stinkbug, let alone a fish - that would be so cool to watch.

I just posted a thread about my kitties shunning their food - they do the same thing as your kitty, they look at me like, "You want me to eat [I]this[/I]?" when they've been enjoying it for weeks. :rolleyes: I've decided to start a rotation of a variety of canned foods that they like, in the hopes that they won't get tired of their food so quickly. 14+ gave you great info - I was able to get my mom to switch her cat to a canned grain-free Wellness food because it was easily purchased in her local grocery store. My kids have tried soooo many brands - Tiki Cat, AvoDerm, Natural Balance, Innova EVO, Merrick, Nature's Variety Instinct, Weruva - the list goes on. It can be difficult to find a food that they're excited about, but if you get a few cans of good food and offer them to her I'm sure she'll find one she's excited about. Good luck! :cat: