Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Introduce yourself here - Say hello (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   New and looking to adopt... (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=12450)

Bead Girl February 22nd, 2005 10:19 PM

New and looking to adopt...

Hello all... I am hoping to adopt a lab puppy in the near future and it looks like many of you have had great experiences with these sorts of things. I can't wait to hear from some "experts" in the field.

:D

Bead Girl

Trinitie February 23rd, 2005 10:29 AM

Hello and welcome!
If you're looking for a puppy of a certain breed, ask lots of questions! The more you know in advance, the easier it'll be to make an informed decision. There are many helpful people that frequent these boards and you'll most certainly get good advice!

Luvmypit February 23rd, 2005 10:44 AM

Hello and welcome. Alot of people are very knowledgable on these such things here.

Is this your first dog?
Do you have time for a puppy?
Planning on getting from a breeder? or would you consider a slightly older dog from a rescue (may be good if you don't have the time to let a new puppy out every 2 - 3 hours)

I'll let the experts take over. Like trinitie said its important to be knowledgable about the breed and ask as many questions as possible.

mastifflover February 23rd, 2005 11:10 AM

Welcome to the board and there are a couple of really knowledgable people here that work with Golden Rescue and will be invaluable to you. Hope we can help answer all your questions.

Bead Girl February 23rd, 2005 12:12 PM

Thank you all for the warm welcome. To answer a few of your questions...

[QUOTE=Luvmypit]Is this your first dog?
Do you have time for a puppy?
Planning on getting from a breeder? or would you consider a slightly older dog from a rescue (may be good if you don't have the time to let a new puppy out every 2 - 3 hours).[/QUOTE]

This will be our first dog together but not a first dog for either of us.
I am working from home for the next few months so I have a lot of time on my hands.
Not planning to buy from a breeder. Both of us feel strongly that there are enough dogs out there that need a "forever" home so we would prefer to get e rescued dog. If that means not a puppy, so be it.

Bead Girl

Lizzie February 23rd, 2005 12:22 PM

You should definitely check out [url]www.petfinder.com[/url] then!! There are so many adult or non-puppy dogs that are getting passed by simply because too many people just want a puppy!! A new furbaby is out there waiting for you! :crazy:

Luvmypit February 23rd, 2005 12:27 PM

Bead Girl. I think we will like you!
Sounds like you pretty well got it down pact. Just remember when getting from a rescue that you ask all the right questions. If they don't ask you enough questions then you know how far their emotions go when trying to place a dog with the proper caring owner. Good luck and pet finder is a great source of pairing dogs with their owners. Good luck!