Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   iguanas (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=60125)

cassyhoof January 21st, 2009 10:29 PM

iguanas

Hi, My name is cheryl and i am just wondering if anyone has iguanas? we have had two iguanas now, our first one was a female and she was called spot, she was a beautiful green colour but unfortunately she only lived a short life as she kept having phantom pregnancies and in the end they killed her, she was cremated at an animal crematorium and we have her ashes at home with us. Stumpy was the male iguana we bought from a reptile sanctuary as where i live you cannot buy iguanas as it's now illegal,stumps as we call him had alot of injuries to his body when we bought him and the sanctuary's owner said no-one would ever look at him because of that, but my husband and i were drawn to his sad look, he was dumped onto the streets and had half his nose and tail cut off, two of his front fingers cut off and burns all over his body. We were warned he was very vicious but we didn't care, he was a big softie really, he was just trying to tell people he is tough. Now stumps rules us, he has to have his body sprayed everyday to help his burns and he loves to be stroked and have water squirted into his mouth and not forgetting his strawberries which he has to have every day or else. People do not realise the cost in keeping reptiles and that is why most of them get killed or dumped, but the ones who do keep them and look after them get a huge thank you from me cause all they want is love and that is what all animals deserve big and small xxx

In memory of my little girl cassyhoof :rip::angel2:

hazelrunpack January 21st, 2009 11:18 PM

I'd love to see a pic of Stumpy if you have one. He sounds like a crusty character--and a very lucky iguana!!

dustybird January 22nd, 2009 03:51 AM

Thank you for adopting him, he sounds like a lucky boy to have found you, and yes I too would love to see pics of the sweet boy.

My hubby and I had an iggie many years ago now, we were never really sure of his age as he was dumped at the crappy pet store I worked at. Luckily they let us have him. He was emaciated(sp) and full of mites, so badly that they left scars. My dad and hubby worked for like two days straight on an enclosure for him. We were lucky to have him for the 5yrs he was with us, the vet estimated after he passed that he was around 13yrs.

They are very special pets and quite smart and a lot of people don't realize how affectionate they can be.

Stumps certainly sounds like he had a rough start in life, poor little guy, I just don't understand some people.

:grouphug: for Stumps and that his skin heals soon. He now has the home he deserves.

Melinda January 22nd, 2009 08:53 AM

I was owned by a 4 1/2 foot iguana for many years, my daycare loved him, he'd lay on the dash of our car when we'd go visit grama and on the deck railing to absorb the sun, he took to his leash like he'd always walked with one, he started out as a 5 inch lizard. i do know the cost of owning a reptile, the extra heating, terrarium, feed, vitamins not to mention vet visits, 150. to walk in the door with them and the closest was 100 km away. He loved his daily swimming.