Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Golden Retriever ear infections - Surolan, where to buy it? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=80183)

mrrhtuner February 11th, 2012 12:18 PM

Golden Retriever ear infections - Surolan, where to buy it?

Hello everybody...we have an awesome 4 year old golden retriever and he has an ear infection. The ear infections have happened before because as we were told by the vet, they are quite common in the goldens.

We have been able to go into the vet in London here to buy Surolan before to fix his ear infection but today upon calling, we were told they 'gave us too many Surolan and the vet needs to see him.' This is quite ridiculous as the last time he had Surolan purchased was in the summer. So now they want 50.00 + 30 for Surolan.

Is this a product that can be purchased online? I have tried to search and can't find anything really.

Also, would anybody know a better vet in London Ontario? we are going to the Masonville animal hospital and have always had crummy service from them in the past.

thank you

BTW here he is, Bailey!

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/mugen85r/c5cb7dfa.jpg[/IMG]

Dee-O-Gee February 11th, 2012 04:23 PM

Oh Dear!!! This sounds so familiar. We had a sweet Golden for 13 years and her name was, well....Bailey. :angel2:

She too was prone to ear infections throughout her life and the exact same thing happened to us. :frustrated:

We called our regular vet to have a refill and they wanted to see her--50.00 + prescription. After that call, we contacted another local vet, told him of her constant ear infections but from that point forward, they always filled a prescription without seeing her just for an ear infection.

I would be reluctant to pursue Surolan over the internet and best recommendation is to seek an alternative vet. :thumbs up

Good luck and love to see more pictures of your sweet Bailey boy. :cloud9:

Winston February 11th, 2012 05:35 PM

Surolan is a very good product for ear infections. Having said that I am pretty sure you need a prescription from a vet. They do sell it here: [url]http://www.petpharm.org/order-can.htm[/url]
I am not sure if you need a script or not.

Bailey is a cutie! :thumbs up

erykah1310 February 11th, 2012 09:40 PM

Have you considered looking into what could be causing the ear infections and fixing that, rather than trying to get a prescription medication with out a prescription?
I have a girl here who had many SEVERE ear infections and after a lot of food switches it has been well over 4 years since she has one now.
Either way, spending $80 ish to stop the irritation and pain associated with an ear infection shouldn't even be a question. Imagine what Bailey is feeling with the infection?
Small price to pay really.

Choochi February 22nd, 2012 01:04 PM

You do need a prescription to be able to buy it so there is no way to get it without a vet's cooperation.

I would also rather get to the bottom of the ear infections. They are generally a symptom of some thing else happening, possibly some sort of a food sensitivity (not necessarily an allergy). Chronic ear infections can often be resolved through diet changes and homeopathic ear cleansers.

Surolan works well on some dogs (not all) but it is just a $30 band aid. The problem that is causing the infections is still there, you're just dealing with the symptoms. It is unfortunately much easier for the vet to just have you continue to come in and buy the Surolan (not to mention they can charge you for the visits) then to actually spend some time trying to cure your dog.

Digston February 22nd, 2012 02:12 PM

I stopped using Surolan. I switched instead to MalAcetic HC. It's an over the counter ear cleaning solution that is medicated. Its not bad cost wise and worked quite well. It can be purchased through vet offices.

DarKevs February 24th, 2012 01:29 PM

sometimes repeated ear infections are caused by yeast, not bacteria.

i have found that if it is a yeasty ear, the antibiotic ear drops will not help at all and sometimes will make it worse.

I use a simple homemade remedy of 1tsp. vinegar to 1/2 cup warm water as an ear wash, it helps to change the ph. of the ear canal to discourage yeast from growing.

If the ear canal is inflammed i will add a couple drops aloe vera juice or lavender essential oil to the mix.

If I think it may be a bacterial issue, I will add either grapefruit seed extract or tea tree oil to the mix.

Hope your dogs ears clear up!

Choochi February 24th, 2012 02:52 PM

That's a really good point. Two of my dogs had chronic ear issues, it was easy to just generalize it as ear infections but they were actually yeast issues. When I approached the issues as that, it was much easier to come up with long lasting solutions. It's been close to 6months so far with no issues and happy clean ears.

pbpatti February 24th, 2012 08:04 PM

You can also use Coconut Oil. Put some in the ear and it will melt down into the ear canal. It works very well as an antibacterial product. It can be used as a preventive also. Good luck.

Mapleter November 11th, 2013 06:39 PM

Same issue with ear medication

I just discovered this thread as I am facing the exact same issue. My chocolate lab is 11 years old and has had a history of ear infections. We went through a period of food eliminations and she is now a vegan, and otherwise healthy, but the ear infections have persisted on and off throughout her life. I went back to the vet who has previously prescribed Surolan and Aurizon and each time wants to do an examination because he claims it's required by law!

I refuse to be ripped off, but my dog needs some medication for her ears. I don't quite understand why in Canada I am required to have a prescription but in the UK and US they seem to let pet owners have some adult responsibility. I'm not quite sure what the vet thinks I'm going to be doing with my secret stash of Surolan other than put it in my dog's ear.

I will probably find a US site and order from them.

Longblades November 12th, 2013 08:25 AM

[QUOTE]I went back to the vet who has previously prescribed Surolan and Aurizon and each time wants to do an examination because he claims it's required by law![/QUOTE]A Vet in Ontario must perform an exam of the dog before dispensing medications, advice, doing a procedure or writing a Rx. Once you are a regular client most will write you a renewal Rx with no problem but some offices do play around with this requirement that they must have seen the dog and have you come in to the office for every little thing. Ask your pet friends and see what their Vet does. If you change Vets you will have to take your pet in for an office exam.

It is a good idea to check the ears before issuing new meds. Maybe the problem is gone and you have a new one. Maybe the Surolan did not work at all and you need a different med. Some meds require you stop the previous one for a few days before starting a new one. We went through the ear meds routine this summer and tried three different ones before we decided it wasn't that the meds weren't working, it was that the allergy was now affecting the ears and making them itchy. Without the exam which showed no yeast and no bacteria I might have gone on putting useless meds in ears. My Vet charges me a reduced fee for these visits but he did spend time with me and he did take a swab and examine it under microscope, he does deserve something monetary for his time.

Marty11 November 12th, 2013 08:42 AM

My 12 years with a golden's ears. If it smelled really bad he needed Surolan. If it was black and waxy and goopy, just a really good ear cleaner from the vet. I would pour it in ear, swab with my finger and a baby facecloth (no q-tip), and encourage shaking the head, it gets the excess liquid out. Do this 3-5 days a week, this keeps it in check. Definitely check out what your feeding, it is usually an allergy sometimes environmental, however I never found out for my poor guy. Does your dog chew his feet?

Jennielynn January 24th, 2014 09:07 PM

Marty11 my Saint Charlie has had an ongoing problem with ear infections since December now his ear just stinks why do you suggest Surolan for this and why did you ask if the dog chews his feet? Charlie is always chewing his feet? Help! He was on Aurizon and my mother in law just gave me Surolan I was going to try that?!

Winston January 25th, 2014 08:02 AM

Surolan works great for ear infections but it sounds like you have other issues going on with chewing feet. What are you feeding as it may be a result of the food?

Longblades January 25th, 2014 08:03 AM

[QUOTE=Jennielynn;1064304]Marty11 my Saint Charlie has had an ongoing problem with ear infections since December now his ear just stinks why do you suggest Surolan for this and [B]why did you ask if the dog chews his feet? [/B]Charlie is always chewing his feet? Help! He was on Aurizon and my mother in law just gave me Surolan I was going to try that?![/QUOTE]

Dogs will scratch their itchy ears with their feet and yeast and bacteria can transfer to their feet, then their feet get itchy too and they chew on them. As per my Vet when I asked him the same thing when he asked if my dog was chewing his feet.

Jennielynn January 25th, 2014 06:44 PM

He eats "go" grain free it's called "fit and free" we have tried several foods but this has been the best fit for him he has a very sensitive stomach he eats this with a plain Greek yogart mixed in. He is 3 1/5 I really don't think his diet is a problem as this is a very good Canadian brand food. I'm trying the surolan now and we will see how it works out the antibiotics and Aurizon cleaned up his one ear completly and the infection and disgusting black goo that was the problem seems to have cleared up also now it's just the smell. Thanks for you help and advice!!!

cockertail February 16th, 2014 04:00 PM

You have to be careful with ear infection as not always caused by what you think.I just went through an ear infections with my cocker spaniel ,first the vet noticed a yeast infection so was sent home with drops to put in for 10 days,and returned for a follow up visit.The Vet could see that the yeast had cleared up but he could see something down in the ear cannel .We had to sedate Henry to keep him from squirming around and the Vet pulled 2 pieces of spear grass out that had worked it's way down into the ear cannel .The Vet said they could have been in there for months and Henry wasn't fussing about it,but had it been left the spear grass could have caused a lot of damage if it worked it's way further in.

mrawlings April 17th, 2014 10:38 AM

Try Petsmed at 1800petsmed.com. $26 a bottle, no dispensing fee and 14.50 for shipping. Just got a bottle from our vet in Toronto and it came to $73 for one bottle. even buying two from these guys with delivery it is less than one bottle in good old canada.