Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Dog with upset stomach - Answered by Dr. Lee (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=41253)

BusterBoo June 6th, 2007 08:05 AM

Dog with upset stomach - Answered by Dr. Lee

Well, Buster (age 1 yr old tzu/bichon) has had a little problem for the past week or so. If appears that for about 4 out of 7 nights he wakes up between 2:00 and 4:00 am and pukes! Nothing has changed in his routine or eating habits, he still plays, pees, poops, drinks, eats, etc. He eats at the same time every day, morning and later in the evening (around 8:00). I free feed my boys, so the times can vary a bit, but he always eats during the evening. He doesn't get any junk food from anyone any home. Buster is on Eukanuba Fish and Potatoe and loves his food.

Luckily I hear him when he starts and am able to jump out of bed and make sure his blanket is under him (he sleeps on our bed).

So, when he pukes it is not bile....it's more brown, usually with no food chunks or anything in it. When he is done, he just lays back down and goes back to sleep as if nothing has happened.

I have a call into the Vet, but was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on what could be causing this???

mummummum June 6th, 2007 11:41 AM

How to say this politely ??? Is it possible he is sh-nacking when they go out for their nightly business ? Or could he be having an accident in the night and covering it up by sh-nacking it ?

Lukka'sma June 6th, 2007 11:47 AM

[QUOTE=mummummum;436328]How to say this politely ??? Is it possible he is sh-nacking when they go out for their nightly business ? Or could he be having an accident in the night and covering it up by sh-nacking it ?[/QUOTE]

:eek: I guess that is one possibility isn't it:yuck:

BusterBoo June 6th, 2007 11:48 AM

:laughing: I actually thought about that, but no......I am 100% sure that isn't the problem. There are no "marks" on my comforter and Buster's breath isn't ..... well....poopy!

His appt is at 2:40 tomorrow, so hopefully the Vet can find out what the problem is. :shrug:

BusterBoo June 7th, 2007 02:58 PM

So....we are back from the Vet and of course, she couldn't find anything wrong with Buster. She checked him over from head to toe (or nose to tail???) and everything is good! The only thing she mentioned was that since he is a nervous dog to start with, it could just be reflux during the night. She gave me a prescription for Sucralfate, to be taken once a night over the next two weeks. It will coat his stomach and should help. He could be starting an ulcer so if this is the case, the meds will help.

We talked about changing his food and she said to wait and see if the meds help. She is a real advocate of home cooking for dogs but did stress that it is a huge commitment. She could order all the supplements and vitamins but I am not sure I want to go that way. She recommended that if I change foods, I go with no grain, no chicken. So.....once everything has settled for Buster I will seriously look into changing foods for both boys.

And she also said........I am a worry-wart!!!! (she wishes more people were like me! )

Buster is now sleeping in his crate, the visit always tires him out! :thumbs up

Dr Lee June 7th, 2007 03:44 PM

Sorry to hear that Harley hasn't been feeling well. On young, otherwise healthy pets; it is common to have 'normal' physical examinations. Sucralfate is a good and very safe medication.

If you are looking for food options that are not 'home cooked' (I agree they can be a big commitment). There are several options. As far as OVER THE COUNTER: Science Diet makes a "Sensitive Stomach" formula that can help out in some types of food issues. Waltham and probably Pet Smart have similar formulas. Prescription diets can sometime help... there are several types, you will need to ask your vet.

If the problem does not resolve, I would take her back to your vet. Unfortunately sometimes the diagnostic path for these guys can be long.

Let us know how Harley does. :pawprint:

BusterBoo June 7th, 2007 03:49 PM

Thanks! (actually it is Buster who is having the tummy problems....)

Once I have tried the meds for a couple of weeks, then we will see what food might help the problem :)

jawert1 June 8th, 2007 09:52 AM

My Peaches (Shep/Chow X) used to go through something similar - what I wound up calling Shepherd Stomach. Our vet couldn't find anything, so I changed her food (removed poultry entirely) by switching to Solid Gold WK and she's been fabulous ever since. I do monitor her treats as well, since she's a particularly sensitive dog, and too many of any one type just don't sit well with her. Good luck with Buster, I hope he feels better soon, and you get some rest (nothing like *that* noise to wake you from a dead sleep;))

BusterBoo June 10th, 2007 08:40 AM

[QUOTE=Dr Lee;436815]Sorry to hear that Buster hasn't been feeling well. On young, otherwise healthy pets; it is common to have 'normal' physical examinations. Sucralfate is a good and very safe medication.

If the problem does not resolve, I would take her back to your vet. Unfortunately sometimes the diagnostic path for these guys can be long.

Let us know how Buster does. :pawprint:[/QUOTE]

Dr Lee....just to let you know that the Sucralfate seems to be working great! No more vomitting at night (or any other time) since he has been taking it. He isn't thrilled and runs when he sees me get the syringe ready, but at least it is working! :thumbs up

mummummum June 10th, 2007 12:40 PM

That's great Harleybuster ! Hopefully his little tummy won't develop ulcers.
One of the tricks I "discovered" with administering nasty-tasting liquid meds is to cook up some liver, chop it up, pour some water into the pan to get the "juices" ala gravy and throw the who mess into a blender. Puree it, cool it then blend in the nasty meds. Et Voila ~ Liver Meds Pudding !!

And an fyi if you haven't been in the food forum lately Orijen is coming out with a 6 fish, grain free diet which I am very impressed with based on the info on their website and the recommendations of other members of Orijen as as a manufacturer of superior products.

BusterBoo June 10th, 2007 02:42 PM

Buster's meds are actually a pill, that the vet cut in half for me. She told me to dilute one dose in the syringe (5 ml of water). I was thinking about just trying to pop it down his throat but they are rather large. :eek: Also, not sure if it might be hard on his tummy....maybe those pills are supposed to be diluted???

I have been looking into getting the Orijen or Solid Gold for my boys but there are only a few places that sell it around Ottawa and I am a good hours drive away.

I find that Quebec doesn't have a great variety of good foods...no one sells the "natural" foods! :yell: I think Montreal has a lot more pet food places but that's about a 90 minute drive!

SuperWanda June 12th, 2007 11:11 AM

Hi - I think you are doing the right thing with respect to finding a better food. One of my dogs has had a sensitive stomach her entire life. I use to take her to the vets so many times to get the same meds you are describing and more. I was told she had gastroenteritis and was encouraged to change her food to a perscription brand. I had her on Eukanuba low residue but it wasn't until I switched to Orijen that I saw an amazing difference in her. This is a dog who seemed to throw up almost every week. Since she has been on the new food she has not thrown up once in 10 months! This is really amazing for her and I would definately look into a better quality food if you have ruled things out in the medical departement!

If you feel there is a problem with chicken, Orijen is also coming out with a fish formula soon and are rumored to be introducing some new formulas next year. But if you take a look at the food forum, I'm sure there are many that could help you find a better quality food. It might take some time to figure out which one works for you.

As for the sulcrafate - I think I just wrapped it in a small amount of cheese and didn't dilute it. 5ml is not very much water so maybe it was just a method for helping him swallow it?

Good luck!

MuddyPaws March 6th, 2009 07:47 PM

BusterBoo

How is your dog? did that medicine work?

I have a 18 month old lab who has been on meds his entire life - and we are now on that and back on kibble science diet with a mix of royal canine rabbit and potatoe...

he still gets a grumbling stomach which makes me look around some more for other ideas....

BusterBoo March 7th, 2009 01:28 PM

hhhmmm.... I posted a reply to this earlier and it disappeared......

Anyways (hope this won't double post..) Welcome to the board!

Buster is doing fine, he still has a sensitive stomach but mostly when he eats too many twigs, toilet paper etc etc. He hasn't been on any meds since then (going on 2 yrs ago).

I did change his food to Wellness Fish and Potatoe mixed with a bit of Orijen Fish and that seems to suit him.

Hopefully someone with more experience will see this post and offer you some suggestions.

....got pictures???? :D