Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Pet photography - Pet pictures (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   New addition to the family (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=60044)

Akira January 19th, 2009 02:28 PM

New addition to the family

3 Attachment(s)
:eek:

This baby, may not give you warm feelings and make you want to cuddle it.

You have been warned. :p

Her name is Rosy, She is a Chilean Rosehair Tarantula

1. Poseing on the cave.
2. Checking out the thermometer
3. Action shot.

BenMax January 19th, 2009 02:32 PM

Oh my what a beautiful specimen.......:p. I don't know why - but I love hairy little creatures (men excluded):yuck:

Akira January 19th, 2009 02:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Better pictures of her markings.

Akira January 19th, 2009 02:35 PM

Yay, I'm glad you like her. Some people think shes creepy. Shes only 7 months old and is going to be a big one.

AmericanBullMom January 19th, 2009 03:13 PM

:eek:

Lol. She's pretty! In the tank. As far as cuddling her... I think...Not. Lol I stick to puppies and kitties... and the occasional snake... :D

Melinda January 19th, 2009 03:14 PM

she is a nice one, her markings are great, she is the same kind our family has, how old is she?? My daycare just love when she comes for visits!! especially when she "walks" out of her skin *L* ours is 7 yrs old

Akira January 19th, 2009 03:34 PM

She is 7 months old.

Dog Dancer January 19th, 2009 03:52 PM

Well yes she is lovely. I'm happy for you, but not for me thanks. Seriously, I think it's great, but obviously not for everyone. We had an iguana years ago, that was about as exotic as I get. I like Melinda, oh yeah, she's just like ours.... Bet you weren't expecting that were you Akira!

hazelrunpack January 19th, 2009 05:17 PM

She [I]is[/I] very pretty. I love her stripes.

How big will she get?

Akira January 19th, 2009 07:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Actually I'm not surprised at all that someone on here has one or knows someone with this particular Tarantula. They are considered to be the most doscile Tarantula. My boyfriend had one that passed away about 5years ago, and used to let him crawl on his face, arms, etc.

**Melinda** how big is the spider at 7 years old? Do they feed with mice?

We had purchased a metallic pink toe tarantula (very cute) few months back and she had alot of trouble shedding her skin. Usually it doesnt take too long to shed, but she was at it for almost a week and died as a result of it.

So we decided to pick another up from a more reliable source

There very interesting specimens and its quite the hobby. You guys should check out the bird eating tarantulas that thousands of people across the world house as pets :D. 12" legspan

heres a couple pictures of "Ava" short for Avicularia Metallica, common name "metallic pink toe"

Winston January 19th, 2009 07:25 PM

OMG I am so glad she is in your home and not mine!! Does she crawl on you? :shrug:

onster January 19th, 2009 07:53 PM

oh wow, I do have to say she is gorgeous!

So, what do yo feed her? Also...im assuming shes actually harmless to humans no? I would touch her then :D What does she feel like?

JennieV January 19th, 2009 08:01 PM

NIIIIIIICE!! I would probably be a little freaked seeing her crawl on someone's face, but hey...I got hermit crabs and my mom always thought they were creepy..LOL:shrug:

Nice pics!
:thumbs up

angeldogs January 19th, 2009 10:49 PM

She's a pretty little thing isn't she.

Diamondsmum January 19th, 2009 11:57 PM

ohhhhhhh We had one as well The pink Toe

my DS's his name was "Fluffy" LOL

But due to him moving to a 60 gallon tank he couldnt get his food (live crickets)

So unfortunatly he passed 2yrs ago But we had him for 5.

Walked all over us & even made friends with the cats.:D

It used to drive me nuts the crickets chirping all winter long.

The first time he molted I freaked I thought there was 2 Spiders in cage.

We still have the tank & everything for it. my DS wants another one.

Akira January 22nd, 2009 02:01 PM

[QUOTE=onster;734518]what do yo feed her? Also...im assuming shes actually harmless to humans no? I would touch her then :D What does she feel like?[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing she feels soft, I havent touched her yet. But when she walks on you, she drops little hairs that makes your skin itchy. Right now we feed her live crickets, shes not very interested in them though, shes still trying to figure out schedules like when its dark and when its light, when its warm and when its cold, what season it is. These little creatures are very smart. She is actualy harmful, but 1 out of 1000 rosehairs bite, their one of the most docile. But if you do get bit, it swells up really bad and your in pain for a day or 2, nothing serious.

Your brave diamondsmum, we were a little uneasy about handling the pink toe cause they can jump. Their great climbers though. Thats so cool that your cats liked the spider.

We're not letting the spider crawl on us yet, we want her to get used to her home before we start handling her.

rainbow January 22nd, 2009 02:39 PM

Great pics and gorgeous to look at as long as they are in their tank. :cool:

I would totally freak if one of them crawled on me though. :eek: :o

Akira January 22nd, 2009 03:26 PM

I might freak too lol. I used to be REALLY scared of spiders, I still hate daddy long legs. But having a tarantula and getting to see how neat they really are helps with getting over my fear. Still don't know if i'll ever touch it though. :o

rainbow January 22nd, 2009 03:45 PM

OMG.....I just get the willies thinking about it. :eek:

chico2 January 22nd, 2009 05:35 PM

Akira,I used to be terrified of spiders as a kid,but now I actually like them,yours is beautiful,I could probably adjust to having her crawl up my arm,I think:laughing:
Feeding her live things though,I would not like,I kind of like crickets too:sad:

ancientgirl January 22nd, 2009 09:43 PM

She's quite lovely. I love her hairy little legs.:laughing: Her digs are pretty snazzy too! Very nice.

Do you have something you can put her next to so we can get an idea of how big she is?

angeldogs January 22nd, 2009 10:09 PM

[QUOTE=Akira;736346]I might freak too lol. I used to be REALLY scared of spiders, I still hate daddy long legs. But having a tarantula and getting to see how neat they really are helps with getting over my fear. Still don't know if i'll ever touch it though. :o[/QUOTE]

I know someone with one and have been told if you show fear well letting them walk on you raises the chance of getting bitten.

chico2 January 23rd, 2009 08:23 AM

One morning a looong time ago,I found a huge web in between 2 bushes outside,dewdrops making it look beautiful.
In the center was a beautiful spider,my boys put up a sign"Do not disturb Charlotte":laughing:from that day on,I do not fear spiders:thumbs up

Melinda January 23rd, 2009 08:45 AM

she's about the size of an average womans palm, and nope, she doesn't feed on mice, super worms (home raised)

ancientgirl January 23rd, 2009 08:55 AM

That's a good size. The perfect compact pet.:D

Akira January 23rd, 2009 12:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I got some pictures :D

1. Didn't even move when I put the cd in.
2. Now shes comming for me. :eek:
3. :cloud9:

Akira January 23rd, 2009 12:57 PM

Chico - I don't really like feeding her crickets either. Once, we didn't have any lettuce so I gave them some potato chips. Hearing the little crunch noises when they were eating the chips was so cute. :p But, Rosy's gotta eat. :sad: Thats a sweet story, that would probably make me not fear them too. The first time I strated to not be scared of them, me and my boyfriend were cleaning out the storage space under the stairs and a HUGE (biggest house spider I have EVER seen) Brown recluse spider came out, we put him in a mason jar and fed him bugs we could find outside lol. Right after we cought the thing, I check my email and I have a forward about the most vemous spider in canada... the Brown recluse lol. We decided to flush it.

Angeldogs - Thats true what you heard. They can feel the elevation of your heart rate. It will rarely make them bite, but it will make them aware and uncomfortable, and probably drop itchy hairs.

ancientgirl January 23rd, 2009 12:58 PM

She looks soft.:cloud9:

chico2 January 23rd, 2009 04:46 PM

Akira,a stupid question,I know:loser:but how do you know if she is happy:confused:
Does she need water,or a spidey friend??
I suppose they are solitary creatures:confused:

angeldogs January 23rd, 2009 05:26 PM

What size of terrarium do you have her in.?

Thats she does have to eat,I have to feed crickets plus add some meal worms for something different.