Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Breed characteristics and traits (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Pregnant Dog (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=52483)

skey May 20th, 2008 01:55 PM

Pregnant Dog

Hi.

I have recently discovered my dog is pregnant. I'm unsure of her breed lthough I believe she is black lab and collie due to her apperance. I am unable to afford to take her to the vet as I am currently unemployed and I cannot purchase a whelping box for her. Are there any suggestions on how I can build a box for her and what I should do? This came as a surprise to my family as we didn't think the male pup here would be able to get her pregnant and she is so tiny.

happycats May 20th, 2008 02:00 PM

If you can get your hands on a kiddie pool they work fine. You will need plenty of old sheets and blankets, as they need to be changed all the time, after the pups are born.
I hope she is okay and I hope you can come up with the funds to take her to the vet.
Please have her spayed, as soon as you are able.

Chris21711 May 20th, 2008 02:03 PM

[QUOTE=skey;595377]Hi.

This came as a surprise to my family as we didn't think the male pup here would be able to get her pregnant and she is so tiny.[/QUOTE]

:wall::wall:It's called the birds and the bees :wall:

Masha May 20th, 2008 02:23 PM

You mentioned that she is tiny. Is she much smaller compared to the male dog? If so, she may have difficulties giving birth/carrying to term and this may put her life in danger. You should contact a local vet and see what they think on the size variance.

Chaser May 20th, 2008 03:59 PM

I don't know much about pregnant dogs but please be very careful about where the pups go after they're born. Cheap puppies are a target for animal testing and experiments (as well as less then respectable owners). And they shouldn't be adopted out until 8 weeks....which means you will have to pay to feed them for a few weeks after Mum weans them. Please do not give the pups to just anyone because you want to be rid of them.

I would suggest making arrangements with your local SPCA or other adoption organization if you need help. They will have no problem finding homes for puppies - they get adopted quickly - and they have a screening process in place to ensure good homes for the puppies. They may even allow you access to one of their vets so that Mum can get checked out (I don't now this for sure - but it is worth a shot to ask).

Do any other members know more about this? Would an SPCA help?

Frenchy May 20th, 2008 08:05 PM

[QUOTE=Masha;595394]You mentioned that she is tiny. Is she much smaller compared to the male dog? If so, she may have difficulties giving birth/carrying to term and this may put her life in danger. You should contact a local vet and see what they think on the size variance.[/QUOTE]

Black lab mix collie and she's tiny ? How old is she ??? And yes , Masha is right on , your dog could easely die if the pups are too big , and so will the pups. You don't have money to get her spay but what's coming can cost you a heck more than a spay ! Get her to the vet asap , she is your responsability , she needs to see a vet ! So many things can go wrong if you just let this be ! :wall:

Chris21711 May 21st, 2008 11:28 AM

[QUOTE=Chase_Mom;595432]
Do any other members know more about this? Would an SPCA help?[/QUOTE]

Our SPCA you would have to surrender the pregnant female, they don't have a public Vet. As far as I know that would be the case with other branches also, most of them don't have a Vet in situ, unfortunately.

Chaser May 21st, 2008 12:14 PM

[QUOTE=Chris21711;595768]Our SPCA you would have to surrender the pregnant female, they don't have a public Vet. As far as I know that would be the case with other branches also, most of them don't have a Vet in situ, unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

:censored: Wishful thinking I guess....I'm really concerned about the well-being of Mum and the future welfare of the babies :sad:

Droverdog June 7th, 2008 09:44 AM

I noticed that in your public profile you have this: [COLOR="Red"][B]"many pets and many litters of kittens and one of puppies on the way" [/B][/COLOR]
Please don't get me wrong BUT this indicates to me that you may be repeating your mistakes over and over again.
To [COLOR="Magenta"][COLOR="magenta"]"rescue"[/COLOR][/COLOR] one has to provide veterinary care, training, and spay/neuter to name a few. I have to say, someone that just lets animals breed indiscriminantly is not rescuing...they are adding to the pet over population problem. This makes you an irresponsible owner.:sad:
If you are unable to spay your pregnant female dog and get her veterinary help, how will you have 30 cats spayed/neutered and provide vet care?
Have you any idea how fast cats multiply?:stork-baby::cat::cat::cat::cat:
You also state that you have 4 dogs. How many of these are spayed/neutered?
Please seek help in placing these animals to good homes before it's too late.:pray:

erykah1310 June 7th, 2008 09:52 AM

[QUOTE=Droverdog;603156]I noticed that in your public profile you have this: [COLOR="Red"][B]"many pets and many litters of kittens and one of puppies on the way" [/B][/COLOR]
[/QUOTE]

What exactly does many litters of kittens mean:confused::wall:
Where is that "In hope" video when you need it??? Anyone?
You know the one that shows the animals being euth in the shelther and the BINS ON TOP OF BINS of dead unwanted pets from situations similar to this one:cry:
*sigh*

To the OP back on topic.
If your female is so tiny and the male is lager... put your money away for an emergency C-section, could very well be needed. And you are looking upwards of $1200 depending on your vet.

Frenchy June 7th, 2008 08:49 PM

[QUOTE=erykah1310;603159]
Where is that "In hope" video when you need it??? Anyone?
[/QUOTE]

here it is [url]http://www.brightlion.com/InHope/InHope_en.aspx[/url]

14+kitties June 7th, 2008 09:15 PM

[QUOTE=Droverdog;603156]I noticed that in your public profile you have this: [COLOR="Red"][B]"many pets and many litters of kittens and one of puppies on the way" [/B][/COLOR]
Please don't get me wrong BUT this indicates to me that you may be repeating your mistakes over and over again.
To [COLOR="Magenta"][COLOR="magenta"]"rescue"[/COLOR][/COLOR] one has to provide veterinary care, training, and spay/neuter to name a few. I have to say, someone that just lets animals breed indiscriminantly is not rescuing...they are adding to the pet over population problem. This makes you an irresponsible owner.:sad:
If you are unable to spay your pregnant female dog and get her veterinary help, how will you have 30 cats spayed/neutered and provide vet care?
Have you any idea how fast cats multiply?:stork-baby::cat::cat::cat::cat:
You also state that you have 4 dogs. How many of these are spayed/neutered?
Please seek help in placing these animals to good homes before it's too late.:pray:[/QUOTE]

Thank you Droverdog!!!

I can tell you how fast cats multiply! 4 feral cats = 19 kittens. 1 disappeared, 2 got hit by cars, 16 I am looking after. They are all spayed/neutered. That was last year. This year so far - 9 kittens. I have 6 of them. If I can't catch the 2 feral moms who are still on the loose it could potentially be another 12 kittens this year. If I don't get the 3 kittens who are on the loose they could have litters of their own by the end of summer. It's a vicious circle.

While I appreciate the fact that you probably do take these animals from unsafe places there is so much more involved in being a rescuer. And I don't consider myself one.

I mean this in all kindness. Please, for the sake of your pup, take her to a vet who will accept payments and have her spayed. Yes, there will be no pups. You have enough to look after.

playboyxo June 9th, 2008 08:35 AM

how do i make a bullietin?????

can u please help me?

hazelrunpack June 9th, 2008 08:40 AM

Do you mean how do you start a thread?

If that's your question, go to the most appropriate forum for your topic, and click on "New Thread" at the top of the page. :thumbs up

Akira October 28th, 2008 04:15 PM

That video, oh my goodness. I can't even watch the humaine society commercials that was horrible! I balled, then went and hugged my babies and cried a little more. FIX YOUR PETS! PLEASE! I'm sorry but if you can't afford to take care of your pets you shouldn't have any, and DEFINATELY shouldnt be breeding them. You're lucky no ones calls the spca. Thats all I have to say, if anyone doesnt like it thats fine its just ymy opinion.

14+kitties October 28th, 2008 04:34 PM

Akirav- this thread is from back in May. The puppies and all the kitties would be born already. The kitties probably are starting to be bred too. Or will be very soon. :sad:

Akira October 28th, 2008 04:42 PM

Some people just make me want to cry.(and very very angry:mad:) Hopefuly karma will do its justice.:fingerscr:sad:

ILoveOnyx December 1st, 2008 05:36 PM

It's December now, and I don't see a reply from your side... have you taken your girl to the vet? We'd appreciate an update.

I got my fingers crossed for the first time (and please... make it the last) mommy! :fingerscr