Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Coconut oil for dogs and cats (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=43716)

russte August 16th, 2007 10:20 PM

Coconut oil for dogs and cats

I have been reading all the posts about coconut oil, could anyone out there please give me more information on it and where can I find it to buy some to give to my family and to our dogs?? It really sounds wonderful....:dog: Thanks russte:thumbs up

luckypenny August 16th, 2007 10:43 PM

Just Google[B] coconut oil healing[/B] and you'll find tonnes of info. You're most likely to find the best quality at a health food store. Look for organic virgin coconut oil. It's not cheap though. I paid 30$ for a 720ml jar, but it does last a while.

rainbow August 17th, 2007 12:54 PM

I agree with Luckypenny. Purchase it from a health food store and make sure it says "organic virgin coconut oil" on the label. The one I bought says "100% pure certified" and "organic premium virgin" on it and it cost $18.95 for 450 ml.

russte August 17th, 2007 02:29 PM

Thanks

Thank you for the info on the coconut oil, will diffinatly pick some up the next time I'm in the city.:D russte

rainbow August 17th, 2007 05:39 PM

I forgot to tell you......it tastes yummy too. :D

golden girl August 17th, 2007 11:24 PM

coconut oil

You can by it at any health food store-Extra Virgin coconut Oil (preferably organic) I have just started using it about a month ago. Definately gives my older dog more energy, has also stopped her itchy skin....:thumbs up

Kristin7 August 19th, 2007 10:59 AM

I have some of this, it is great in baked goods! I got it at a Wild Oats store, probably other stores that carry organic goods would have it.

ancientgirl August 20th, 2007 08:40 AM

I'm really thinking about getting this for me and my kitties.

How long have you been using it? Vlad had a big problem with ear mites up until about 3 weeks ago and I read cleaning their ears once a week with this keeps them away.

SableCollie August 20th, 2007 07:03 PM

I got mine at a natural foods store (Whole Foods). I wish it wasn't so pricey. I haven't seen any difference in Sable, but she doesn't get it every day because it is expensive. I also put it on Lobo's nose sometimes, he tends to get a dry nose and I like to use the coconut oil because even if he licks it off it won't hurt him. And I used it as lipgloss once when I ran out. Yummy coconut. :D

ancientgirl August 20th, 2007 08:18 PM

Gee, now I'm wondering about the stuff I got this afternoon. I went to the health food store near my office and got a 14 oz jar of organic coconut oil for $4.99. It was on sale, and from a company called Tree of Life, which I looked up and looks like a good company.

I'm wondering if I got the wrong thing.

SableCollie August 21st, 2007 12:49 PM

Mine is Nutiva organic extra virgin coconut oil and it was about $12 US for 15 oz.

luckypenny August 21st, 2007 03:16 PM

[QUOTE=ancientgirl;467199]Gee, now I'm wondering about the stuff I got this afternoon. I went to the health food store near my office and got a 14 oz jar of organic coconut oil for $4.99. It was on sale, and from a company called Tree of Life, which I looked up and looks like a good company.

I'm wondering if I got the wrong thing.[/QUOTE]

It is a good company but the oil you purchased is not extra virgin.

ancientgirl August 21st, 2007 03:41 PM

Aha! There's a Wild Oats near my place. I'll get there this weekend then and just get it there.

ancientgirl September 10th, 2007 01:14 PM

I finally got my hands on the good stuff. 100% organic extra virgin coconut oil, and I can definitely see and smell the difference.

One question though. I was at first heating it up and pouring it into the Dynamic Duo's food, but they'd leave the food untouched. I guess they didn't care for the mix.

But, I do find that they like to just lick it from the jar! Do those of you that are using this think that's okay? I mean I imagine it doesn't matter since the only difference is its not melted mixed in with their food.

badger September 10th, 2007 01:34 PM

This was posted here not long ago:

Crazy About Coconut Oil

“Virgin” or unrefined, this healthy oil has multiple benefits for your dog.

By CJ Puotinen

What’s the hottest new health food for pets and people? If you’re like most Americans, it’s something you’ve been avoiding for years – either that or you think it’s a sun tan lotion, not a food. That’s right, we’re talking about coconut oil.

There are dozens of products on the market, but look for unrefined oil at your health food store. We like to see oils packaged in glass jars (rather than plastic containers). The really good stuff is expensive, but its benefits are worth the money.

An important ingredient in America’s processed foods for most of the 20th century, coconut oil is one of the world’s few saturated-fat vegetable oils. That designation gave it a terrible reputation, and by the 1980s and ’90s, it all but disappeared from our food supply. Then the vegetable oils that replaced it caused more harm than coconut oil ever did, and now coconut oil is making a comeback.

For thousands of years, coconuts have been a staple of tropical cuisines, and those who followed a traditional coconut-based diet, such as Pacific Islanders, had none of the heart disease, cancer, diabetes, or other illnesses that plague modern America.

According to its advocates, when taken internally, coconut oil:

• Reduces the risk of cancer and other degenerative conditions

• Improves cholesterol levels and helps fight heart disease

• Improves digestion and nutrient absorption

• Heals digestive disorders like Crohn’s disease, irritable bowel syndrome, ulcers, and colitis

• Contains powerful antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal agents that prevent infection and disease

• Relieves arthritis

• Prevents and treats yeast and fungal infections, including thrush and candidiasis

• Prevents and treats viral infections, including herpes, measles, and the flu

• Helps balance the body’s metabolism and hormones

• Promotes normal thyroid function

• Helps prevent or control diabetes

• Rejuvenates the skin and protects against skin cancer, age spots, acne, and other blemishes

• Helps prevent osteoporosis

• Reduces allergic reactions

• Supplies fewer calories than other fats.

Applied topically, its boosters say that coconut oil also does the following:

• Disinfects cuts

• Promotes wound healing

• Improves skin health and hair condition

• Deodorizes whatever it touches (some people brush their teeth with it or use it as an underarm deodorant)

• Clears up warts, moles, psoriasis, eczema, dandruff, precancerous lesions, athlete’s foot, jock itch, diaper rash, ringworm, vaginal yeast infections, and toenail fungus.

All of this is excellent news for people and their dogs, for most of coconut oil’s human benefits are shared by canines. And dogs love the taste, which makes feeding coconut oil and other coconut products easy and pleasant.

Get the right type
Coconut oil is produced in Thailand, Fiji, the Philippines, Brazil, Indonesia, India, Sri Lanka, Jamaica, Hawaii, Mexico, the Solomon Islands, Belize, Samoa, and other countries around the world. Most health food stores carry at least one or two brands, and many retailers sell coconut oil online or by mail.

There are two main types of coconut oil.

Refined coconut oil (often labeled RBD for Refined, Bleached, and Deodorized) is made from copra, or dried coconut meat, then treated to remove impurities. Most RBD coconut oil is inexpensive, bland, and odorless. It doesn’t contain all of the nutrients found in unrefined coconut oil, its fragrance and flavor are different, and in most cases the coconuts used to produce it are of low quality and chemicals like chorine and hexane are used in the refining process. Some brands of refined coconut oil are labeled for use as a skin and hair care product.

Unrefined or “virgin” coconut oil, which is made from fresh coconuts, has culinary and health experts excited. Pressed by hand using traditional methods or manufactured in state-of-the-art factories, virgin coconut oil retains most of the nutrients found in fresh coconut.

In traditional methods, coconut meat is heated or baked until dry and then pressed, or fresh coconut milk is pressed from the meat and then heated to remove its water content, or freshly pressed coconut milk is allowed to ferment for 24 to 36 hours, during which the oil separates from the water. In modern factories, expeller-pressed coconut milk is centrifuged and vacuum-evaporated to remove water. Other methods of removing water from coconut oil include refrigeration and the use of enzymes.

The result of these traditional and modern manufacturing methods is an assortment of coconut oils in a range of flavors, prices, and quality.

Refined coconut oil can cost as little as $3 for a 16-ounce (one-pint) jar, while the same amount of virgin organic coconut oil can cost $18 or more. Several brands are available in larger sizes, including gallon tubs, which lowers their per-ounce cost considerably. Assuming the oil is correctly labeled and properly prepared, virgin organic coconut oil in glass rather than plastic is the favorite of most experts.

Depending on temperature, coconut oil will be solid or liquid. Below 75o Fahrenheit, coconut oil is solid and white, like lard or vegetable shortening, and it is sometimes called coconut butter. At 76o F and above, coconut oil is a transparent liquid.

Good-quality oil is colorless when liquid and pure white when solid, never yellow or pink, and it should not contain any residue or have an “off” or rancid odor. “Many people complain that coconut oil makes their throat feel scratchy or causes a burning sensation,” says Bruce Fife, ND, who has written several books about coconut oil. “The catch in the throat is a sign of poor quality. Some of these oils have a roasted or smoky flavor and aroma, which is another indication of poor quality, as it comes from smoke that contaminates the oil during heat processing.”

The only exceptions to the 76-degree rule are hydrogenated and fractionated coconut oils.

Hydrogenated coconut oil, which is solid at room temperature and melts at 92o F, is sold as a soap ingredient and as a food – but because it contains harmful trans-fats, we don’t recommend it for you or your dog. A 1954 study in which hydrogenated coconut oil raised the cholesterol of laboratory rabbits set the stage for coconut oil’s removal from America’s food supply. All research suggesting that coconut oil is harmful to health was conducted using hydrogenated oil, while studies conducted with nonhydrogenated coconut oil show that coconut oil protects the heart and improves overall health (see “Resources and Recommended Reading” sidebar).

Fractionated coconut oil, also known as caprylic/capric triglyceride, is a popular massage oil and aromatherapy ingredient because it remains liquid at temperatures far below 75o F. To make it, coconut oil is heated and the top liquid fraction removed, purifying the oil by removing molds, fungus spores, and pesticide residues. Fractionated coconut oil is sold as a cosmetic ingredient.

Medium-chain fatty acids
Most of coconut oil’s health benefits come from medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs), also known as medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs). According to former University of Maryland biochemist and dietary fats researcher Mary Enig, PhD, “The lauric acid in coconut oil is used by the body to make the same disease-fighting fatty acid derivative monolaurin that babies make from the lauric acid they get from their mothers’ milk. The monoglyceride monolaurin is the substance that keeps infants from getting viral, bacterial, or protozoal infections.”

Coconut oil’s capric and caprylic acid have similar properties and are best known for their antifungal effects. Like lauric acid, capric acid helps balance insulin levels.

In addition to protecting the body against infection, medium-chain fatty acids are efficiently metabolized to provide an immediate source of fuel and energy, enhancing athletic performance and aiding weight loss. In fact, several coconut diet books are now in print.

“The energy boost you get from coconut oil is not like the kick you get from caffeine,” says Dr. Fife. “It gently elevates the metabolism, provides a higher level of energy and vitality, protects you from illness, and speeds healing. In dogs, the medium-chain fatty acids in coconut oil balance the thyroid, helping overweight dogs lose weight and helping sedentary dogs feel energetic. As a bonus, coconut oil improves any dog’s skin and coat, improves digestion, and reduces allergic reactions.”

During the last few decades, extensive research on medium-chain fatty acids has documented their health benefits, and many supplements and health foods contain MCFAs or MCTs. You’ll find them listed that way on their labels – but their source, which isn’t listed, is always coconut oil. “We’ve become so phobic about coconut oil,” says Dr. Fife, “that manufacturers who appreciate its benefits have been smuggling it into all kinds of products. Start reading labels and you’ll be surprised at all the MCFAs and MCTs. Those abbreviations always mean coconut oil.”

One good candidate for supplementation is the thick-coated dog who is often greasy or smelly. Many of these “stinkers” have freshened up when receiving a little coconut oil daily. Just start out with a low dosage (perhaps just a dab) and increase slowly.
Dosing dogs
No one has tested coconut oil’s effect on dogs in clinical trials, but the anecdotal evidence is impressive. Reports published on Internet forums describe how overweight dogs become lean and energetic soon after they begin eating coconut oil, or their shabby-looking coats become sleek and glossy, and dogs with arthritis or ligament problems grow stronger and more lively. Even some serious diseases have responded. In one case, a Doberman Pinscher with severe Wobblers made a dramatic recovery in less than a week while taking coconut oil.

Other reports involve itchy skin, cuts, wounds, and ear problems. Dogs with flea allergies, contact dermatitis, or other allergic reactions typically stop scratching soon after coconut oil is added to their food, and dogs treated topically for bites, stings, ear mites, ear infections, cuts, or wounds recover quickly. One dog was stung by a bee, causing her mouth to swell. An hour after her owner applied coconut oil to the sting and gave her a tablespoon to swallow, the swelling disappeared and the dog was herself again.

Smell you later!
The most enthusiastic reports describe coconut oil’s deodorizing effects.

Bob Ansley in Shallotte, North Carolina, started feeding his “incredibly smelly” black Lab, Smokey Joe, the coconut oil he drains from his wok after frying eggs, sausages, and other foods.

“Joe’s coat shined up,” says Ansley, “but the real surprise was that he stopped stinking. He has always smelled really bad, and bathing was a waste of time. For years when I petted him, I had to hold my hands away from my clothes and go wash my hands soon and thoroughly. My wife and kids wouldn’t touch him. Now I can pet him and rub him like he craves without having to run and wash up. The stench is gone and we didn’t even change his bedding. I’m pretty amazed. The cure was cheap, too!”

In the months since he started giving Smokey Joe his leftover coconut oil, Ansley has often skipped a few days. As soon as he does, the odor comes back – and as soon as he resumes feeding coconut oil, the odor disappears.

Pam Gillmore of Austin, Texas, is a raw foods chef who teaches healthful food preparation. “I don’t have a dog of my own because I travel so much,” Gillmore says, “but all my friends have dogs. I sell a high-quality organic raw virgin coconut oil from Mexico that has produced super results in people, and they’re always asking me how to help their dogs, cats, or other animals. Coconut oil has done wonders with all of them, especially dogs.”

Gillmore also reports that dogs who receive coconut oil stop itching and scratching and their skin clears up. “Their coats really shine after they have been on it for a while. Skin tags and moles disappear after a month or two. Their digestion improves. And they don’t have a doggie odor – the coconut oil even takes away bad breath.”

Gillmore suggests that the best way to give coconut oil is in small doses throughout the day, “a spoonful here or there depending on the dog’s weight.” She also says that she has not yet met a dog who does not like the oil – “They usually lap it right up,” she says. “Some folks fry eggs in it and make a little extra for their dogs, or they put some in leftover oatmeal or add it to the dog’s dinner, but many give it straight off the spoon.”

Gillmore concludes, “I can’t say enough about how coconut oil helps animals. During the last eight years, I’ve seen over a hundred dogs improve in all kinds of ways because of coconut oil. I’ve even had people give it to their pet snakes and birds!”

Oil tell you a story
Bruce Fife has collected coconut oil stories for years, and one of his favorites, mentioned in his new book, Coconut Cures, is from a man whose dog developed a lump next to her eye.

“The veterinarian said it looked like a tumor,” the owner reported, “and he recommended immediate surgery. I figured that if coconut oil is good for humans, it should be good for animals as well, so I began applying it to the lump on my dog’s forehead. As time passed, the lump grew smaller and smaller and eventually disappeared. It never returned. We avoided the surgery.

“Some time later my other dog developed sores just above his upper lip. The vet gave him an antibiotic, but it didn’t seem to do any good. After a week I stopped the medication and began applying coconut oil to the sores. They got worse for a few days and then began to heal. He recovered without a problem.”

How to administer
For convenient application, store coconut oil in both a glass eyedropper bottle and a small jar. During cold weather, these containers are easy to warm in hot water so that the oil quickly melts.

Use the eyedropper to apply coconut oil to ears, cuts, wounds, mouth sores, and other targeted areas, including your dog’s toothbrush.

Use the small jar to apply coconut oil to larger areas, such as cracked paw pads. Coconut oil is not fast-drying, so use a towel or tissue to remove excess oil as needed. The main challenge with coconut oil’s topical application is that dogs love the taste and immediately lick it off. To give coconut oil a chance to disinfect wounds and speed healing, cover the wound with a towel for a few minutes, or distract the dog long enough for at least some of the oil to be absorbed.

Coconut oil is also an excellent massage oil and carrier oil for use with medicinal herbs and aromatherapy. Any of the essential oils mentioned in “Essential Information” (January 2005) can be diluted in coconut oil for safe, effective canine application, and coconut oil is a perfect base for the herbal salves and oils described in “Savvy Salves” (August 2005).

In addition to lubricating the skin and joints, coconut oil acts as a natural preservative, is exceptionally stable, has a long shelf life, does not require refrigeration, and is such a powerful disinfectant that it reduces the need for germ-killing essential oils in aromatherapy blends designed to fight infection.

Important to start slooooow
Solid or liquid coconut oil can be added to food at any meal or given between meals. The optimum dose for dogs is about 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight daily, or 1 tablespoon per 30 pounds. These are general guidelines, as some dogs need less and others more.

But don’t start with these amounts. Instead, introduce coconut oil a little at a time in divided doses. Because coconut oil kills harmful bacteria, viruses, parasites, yeasts, and fungi, the burden of removing dead organisms can trigger symptoms of detoxification. Headaches, fatigue, diarrhea, and flu-like symptoms are common in humans who consume too much too fast, and similar symptoms can occur in dogs.

Even in healthy dogs, large amounts of coconut oil can cause diarrhea or greasy stools while the body adjusts. Start with small amounts, such as ¼ teaspoon per day for small dogs or puppies and 1 teaspoon for large dogs. Gradually increase the amount every few days. If your dog seems tired or uncomfortable or has diarrhea, reduce the amount temporarily.

Coconut oil isn’t the only coconut product that’s good for dogs. Fresh or dried coconut is an excellent source of dietary fiber, and dogs enjoy and benefit from the same coconut flakes, coconut flour, coconut cream, coconut milk, shredded coconut, and coconut spreads used by their human companions. Just be sure the products are unsweetened and free from chemical preservatives.

ancientgirl September 10th, 2007 01:42 PM

Hmm...this looks geared mostly to dogs, but I got a good idea of what i needed to know.

Thanks!

mummummum September 10th, 2007 08:11 PM

I bought the Nutiva brand on Friday and have been mixing it in with their kibble. I was really surprized by how much they love the taste. Ceili, the "I only eat kibble put on the floor one handful at a time" Queen is now eating straight out of her bowl and I don't have to hover over either her or Declan (her monkey-see-monkey-do twin), reminding them to eat.

So I'm impressed on that account. :thumbs up We'll see if it lives up to it's "miracle worker" reputation :rolleyes:

ancientgirl September 10th, 2007 08:22 PM

I'm going to try mixing it in with their kibble, but they don't seem to like it at all mixed with their wet food. For now I'll let them lick half a teaspoon for a few days, just so they can get used to the taste and hopefully I can begin to mix it with their food.

Ford Girl September 11th, 2007 03:10 PM

So for ears with yeast we drop a few drops in? Just wondering, the administer section says....

Use the eyedropper to apply coconut oil to ears, cuts, wounds, mouth sores, and other targeted areas, including your dog’s toothbrush.

Would that be daily? One drop, two? Would it hurt to put it in the other ear too?

Who uses this regularly?

jbsmomto1 September 12th, 2007 09:58 AM

I put the oil on one of my hairless boys. His skin is so leathery and tough, it seems to be helping. I may try feeding him some also to see if that will help now that I have read that article and I know its safe to eat a bit daily.

pitgrrl September 12th, 2007 11:46 AM

Has anyone tried using coconut oil on a dog with GI problems, like colitis, IBS, etc?
How quickly did you introduce it?
Were there any initial detox symptoms?
What were the longer term results?

TeriM September 12th, 2007 02:26 PM

[QUOTE=Ford Girl;476492]So for ears with yeast we drop a few drops in? Just wondering, the administer section says....
[/QUOTE]

I think most people give it orally mixed in with the food. My dogs get a spoonful each day and Lucy's ears have been great :thumbs up.

chico2 July 30th, 2008 10:49 AM

We bought a jar(glass) in an Indian store,it only says 100% pure coconut-oil.
We bought it on the recommendation from a friend,who uses it for everything,even put some in his eyes:eek: and swears he sees better:shrug:
Our 500ml glassjar was only $5.99,but the store is only a tiny store,selling different Indian foods and herbs.
I was hoping it would help with Rockys runny poop,but since it can cause diarrhea in dogs,it probably will not help Rocky.:sad:

hazelrunpack July 30th, 2008 11:02 AM

[QUOTE=TeriM;477045]I think most people give it orally mixed in with the food. My dogs get a spoonful each day and Lucy's ears have been great :thumbs up.[/QUOTE]

Macie seems to be develping chronic problems with her right ear and I'm debating trying some coconut oil...but I'm confused by two things:

1) It's saturated...and below 76 F, it's solid? If applied topically to ears, do you have to melt it to get it into the canal? Or do you just rub some of the cocoa butter in the ear and let the body warmth do the rest?

2) Teri, are you saying that Lucy takes hers by mouth and it still helps her ears? This would be perfect for us...

My main concern is, actually, Lil Belle. She's already licking Macie's ear raw if we don't watch her constantly...I'm afraid that if we use the coconut oil in that ear, Lil Belle will find it even tastier. :rolleyes: Does anyone have any input on how the other dogs of a multidog family react to the topical application of coconut oil? :o

krdahmer July 30th, 2008 11:08 AM

I imagine that is the bad cooking oil kind then Chico, from what I read up above... :shrug:

I just bought some here at a health food store.... it's clearly labelled Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Certified Organic and on the nutrition label, there are 0g of trans fats. Does yours have a nutrition label? I would think if it says there are trans fats in yours then it's not the one to give to Rocky. Oh and I paid $24.40 for the 475mL jar. Been using it a couple of weeks now and hardly even made a dent yet.

We started slow here, first Fagan just licked some off my finger, now we are up to his whole tsp.... and the odd lick out of the jar! So far he has had no problems with the runs at all. (And I've even had some success using it on a few really dry patches of skin myself!)

krdahmer July 30th, 2008 11:11 AM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;631684]Macie seems to be develping chronic problems with her right ear and I'm debating trying some coconut oil...but I'm confused by two things:

1) It's saturated...and below 76 F, it's solid? If applied topically to ears, do you have to melt it to get it into the canal? Or do you just rub some of the cocoa butter in the ear and let the body warmth do the rest?

2) Teri, are you saying that Lucy takes hers by mouth and it still helps her ears? This would be perfect for us...

My main concern is, actually, Lil Belle. She's already licking Macie's ear raw if we don't watch her constantly...I'm afraid that if we use the coconut oil in that ear, Lil Belle will find it even tastier. :rolleyes: Does anyone have any input on how the other dogs of a multidog family react to the topical application of coconut oil? :o[/QUOTE]

It melts just with body heat Hazel and fast, I have to move quick to get it into Fagan's mouth before it drips off my finger! And I am giving it to Fagan orally and it seems to be helping a lot with the itchies he gets. Oh and if topically, you really do need to cover it with something or keep her away from the others at least for a few minutes.... when I tried it on Fagan's belly he licked it off seconds later! :rolleyes: It just tastes too good!

chico2 July 30th, 2008 03:34 PM

Dahmer,no it's not cooking oil,it lists everything it can be used for,skin,hair,bugbites even taken orally for digestion etc...
I used it in my bath,you end up silky smooth:lovestruck:
Mine is from India,maybe they just don't realize how much they could really charge:shrug:

hazelrunpack July 30th, 2008 04:45 PM

Thanks, krdahmer. I may let her try it internally and see if it helps her ears. If not, I'll try it topically and just keep her in a separate yard from the others. Who knows? Maybe it will even heal up the chapping from Lil Belle's licking! :rolleyes:

Brika July 31st, 2008 07:46 AM

How much To Give

So if I wanted to give some to Carly who weighs 100lbs and probably a bit more, how much would I give her? And would it be safe to give some to baby Cat after he recently had problems with crystals in his urine? It sounds like really good stuff, I was reading someplace that a dog actually stopped smelling so bad after they started getting the Coconut Oil.

rainbow July 31st, 2008 02:52 PM

[QUOTE=Brika;632290]So if I wanted to give some to Carly who weighs 100lbs and probably a bit more, how much would I give her? And would it be safe to give some to baby Cat after he recently had problems with crystals in his urine? It sounds like really good stuff, I was reading someplace that a dog actually stopped smelling so bad after they started getting the Coconut Oil.[/QUOTE]

I would start Carly off with about a teaspoon a day. If it gives her diarrhea then cut back and start with less then gradually increase to 3 or so tablespoons per day.

[QUOTE]
Solid or liquid coconut oil can be added to food at any meal or given between meals. The optimum dose for dogs is about 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight daily, or 1 tablespoon per 30 pounds. These are general guidelines, as some dogs need less and others more.

But don’t start with these amounts. Instead, introduce coconut oil a little at a time in divided doses. Because coconut oil kills harmful bacteria, viruses, parasites, yeasts, and fungi, the burden of removing dead organisms can trigger symptoms of detoxification. Headaches, fatigue, diarrhea, and flu-like symptoms are common in humans who consume too much too fast, and similar symptoms can occur in dogs.

Even in healthy dogs, large amounts of coconut oil can cause diarrhea or greasy stools while the body adjusts. Start with small amounts, such as ¼ teaspoon per day for small dogs or puppies and 1 teaspoon for large dogs. Gradually increase the amount every few days. If your dog seems tired or uncomfortable or has diarrhea, reduce the amount temporarily.[/QUOTE]