Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Breed characteristics and traits (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Looking for Leonberger breeder (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=85043)

StompinTania January 19th, 2014 10:21 AM

Looking for Leonberger breeder

Hi, I am searching for a Leonberger breeder. I am looking for a very calm and stable Leo, and feel a bit overwhelmed in the breeder search. I do not live near any breeders, and in fact, a visit to a potential breeder would involve a flight across the country. I am willing to do this, but I want to do as much research ahead of time as possible.

Any thoughts? Good experiences? Bad experiences? I have seen references to hyper Leos, and it seems to me this should be a fault - from all the reading I have done it would seem they should never be considered hyper. I want to avoid this if at all possible.

Thanks!

Loki Love January 19th, 2014 11:41 AM

It would help to know where you are located :) A good rule of thumb is to start with your local club's website and find some shows to attend, speak to breeders, and go from there.

Barkingdog January 19th, 2014 11:53 AM

[QUOTE=Loki Love;1064160]It would help to know where you are located :) A good rule of thumb is to start with your local club's website and find some shows to attend, speak to breeders, and go from there.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that would be a good start, knowing where the OP is located. What about Leonberger rescue shelter , there could be dogs waiting for a forever home. People buy dogs and have no idea how big they'll get and end up putting them in a shelter. :(

StompinTania January 19th, 2014 11:55 AM

I am in Saskatchewan, and there are not any breeders within 800km. Most are much further.

I have done extensive reading, and spoken to a few breeders located elsewhere in the country.

StompinTania January 19th, 2014 11:56 AM

[QUOTE=Barkingdog;1064161]Yeah that would be a good start, knowing where the OP is located. What about Leonberger rescue shelter , there could be dogs waiting for a forever home. People buy dogs and have no idea how big they'll get and end up putting them in a shelter. :([/QUOTE]

There are no Leonbergers currently in rescue that I have found, either in the US or Canada. Thankfully it seems not many of these end up in rescue.

Loki Love January 19th, 2014 03:51 PM

[QUOTE=StompinTania;1064162]I am in Saskatchewan, and there are not any breeders within 800km. Most are much further.

I have done extensive reading, and spoken to a few breeders located elsewhere in the country.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.leonbergerclubofcanada.com/blog/[/url]

I'd start here. They have a list of breeders within good standing on their page, but be sure you do your own research too - proper health testing (posted to the OFA website) and the kind of lineage you're looking for - show dogs, working dog lines, etc.

I know of some people who have driven nearly 20 hours to pick up their puppy (one way!) so it's quite realistic that you won't find a breeder within the close vicinity of you. You should prepare yourself now that you are going to have to drive, or pay for shipping perhaps of your puppy - should that be the route you go.

Good luck with your search.

Dog Dancer January 20th, 2014 12:10 AM

One of our members here (Breeze) has a Leonberger, perhaps she will see this thread and give you some help. They are a beautiful dog.

runningbeat April 15th, 2014 10:14 AM

breeders close to you

There is a breeder in sylvan lake alberta, who's dog was just bred. go to prairiesongleons and also puppies avaible in red deer alberta, go to countryhillsleonburger

I am sure these places are closer than 800 km. they might fly them to a airport also.

Lynne&Co. April 15th, 2014 02:40 PM

Not sure how far you are willing to travel but Heronview Raw & Natural is my dog food supplier and they also breed Leonberger dogs and Alpacas. They are located 7692 Ashburn Road, Whitby, Ontario L1M 1L5. 905.655.5747. [url]www.heronviewleonbergers.com[/url]
They went to Germany for their 7 yr old male. I think he is as big as a chest freezer :eek:

runningbeat May 27th, 2014 12:34 PM

did you get one?

stompin tanyia, did you find a leonberger breeder?