Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   To tube or not to tube ........... (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=73415)

14+kitties November 1st, 2010 03:47 PM

To tube or not to tube ...........

...... that is the question. :rolleyes:
As a lot of you know I am dealing with liver issues and not eating with Benni.
[url]http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=72561[/url]
While I pray we have the liver issues under control :fingerscr and will continue with hepatic support for Benni's lifetime we need some help with the eating situation.
Benni has been eating dry food in increasing amounts for a while now. She is up to about 20 to 25 pieces of dry food and treats a day. However, that is by far not enough to keep her going. Not to mention the whole dry food issue. I have been force feeding her for quite some time which is very stressful on her and me. I try not to show my stress but when I have to fight with her to eat it's difficult some days.
The vet has mentioned a feeding tube before. What I would like from you good folks is how you would deal with the situation. What would you do in my situation - tube or not tube (continue to force feed)?

Dog Dancer November 1st, 2010 04:06 PM

14+, I have no experience in feeding tubes so I cannot offer you any opinion on this. What I can offer you is my full support in whatever you decide to do for Benni. You obviously know what is involved, and you know the relationship between yourself and Benni. If force feeding is too stressful and the feeding tube is a non-stressed fix then go with it. I would assume (and I could be totally wrong) that if the tube didn't work out or help you could have it removed. Would Benni be in any discomfort from a feeding tube? Trust your gut my friend. You know Benni better than anyone. Bless you for continuing to care for her as you do. :angel2:

chico2 November 1st, 2010 04:10 PM

i of course have no idea,but if that's what it takes to make her well and lessen the stress on both her and you,i would go for it.
i am pretty sure i've read here that someone was doing it to her cat,maybe growler:shrug:

aslan November 1st, 2010 04:26 PM

14+ i think it was Sugarcatmom who had to tube at one point. My only question since i have absolutely no idea about this..if you feed her through a tube how is it going to get her eating again if she's already full?

14+kitties November 1st, 2010 04:40 PM

When the vet first mentioned the tube I said only as a last resort. I have done quite a bit of reading on them since then and think this [I]may[/I] be the answer but am still torn. I know I can continue to do what I am doing. BUT is it better for Benni? That is why I am thinking the tube may be less stressful for her and may get her eating on her own.
This is one of the articles I have read. Seeing as it's part of the same one we keep telling folks about and it's by a vet I tend to put merit to it.
[url]http://www.catinfo.org/?link=feedingtubes[/url]

Oh, and aslan - it will answer your question as well. ;)

14+kitties November 1st, 2010 05:19 PM

Mmm, well I guess the whole idea is on the shelf at the moment. I just spoke to the vet. She wants to see Benni and do another blood workup to see if things have changed. I am taking her in tomorrow at 4. She then said a tube would not be done without an ultrasound and possible biopsy first. Funny it was her that mentioned it a few weeks ago though. :confused: I can't do all of that. It is just not feasible. So....... hopefully the blood work will show something. :fingerscr

Koteburo November 1st, 2010 06:06 PM

I had to make that choice one with my Peanut (dog), in his case it didn't work because his illness was of a different nature than Benni's. Peanut was a victim of a mysterious immunologic disorder that make his immune system depressed and he wouldn't eat, he was hospitalized for about 10 days and at some point the vet talked to me about the tube. I said yes because I wanted so badly to do whatever possible to save him.

Now about the tube itself it does the work, Peanut's was on the side of his neck/shoulder they keep it covered until food is inserted.
It doesn't look as brutal as I imagined. I think if Peanut had a chance the tube would have been a good thing for him.
I don't know how uncomfortable that could be for them and emotionally.

sugarcatmom November 1st, 2010 06:13 PM

I'm a big fan of feeding tubes and wouldn't hesitate to put one in, if the situation warranted it. In fact, I've had to resort to tubes on 3 separate occasions for 2 of my cats. There is just no way I could possibly have force fed them for as long as they needed it (3+ months average), and because food aversions can develop with force feeding, tubes bypass that possibility. Meal times actually became a bonding experience.

If you do go for a tube, offer food by mouth before each feeding. Most cats adapt very quickly to wearing a tube (surgical socks help keep them in place). The other thing that's really great about having the tube is that you can put certain meds and liver support supplements through them, avoiding the stress of pilling. This can also help speed up the liver's recovery.

Hopefully the latest blood work provides some answers for you.

the gang November 1st, 2010 09:31 PM

:sorry: no tube on my end, brenda and the pins

rainbow November 1st, 2010 10:42 PM

[QUOTE=14+kitties;963598]Mmm, well I guess the whole idea is on the shelf at the moment. I just spoke to the vet. She wants to see Benni and do another blood workup to see if things have changed. I am taking her in tomorrow at 4. She then said a tube would not be done without an ultrasound and possible biopsy first. Funny it was her that mentioned it a few weeks ago though. :confused: I can't do all of that. It is just not feasible. So....... hopefully the blood work will show something. :fingerscr[/QUOTE]

Good luck tomorrow 14+ .....hopefully the blood work will shed some new light. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :grouphug:

I know you've probably read these websites but thought I'd post them just in case you haven't ......

[url]http://www.assistfeed.com/WhatAreMyOptions.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.lbah.com/liver.htm[/url]

Dog Dancer November 1st, 2010 11:01 PM

Aww, Gerri, I sure hope the vet's blood work shows what it needs to show. You know we are all pulling for Benni and praying for you that things work out for the best. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers tonight and tomorrow. :grouphug:

growler~GateKeeper November 2nd, 2010 03:33 AM

[QUOTE=chico2;963589]i am pretty sure i've read here that someone was doing it to her cat,maybe growler:shrug:[/QUOTE]

Nope wasn't me :shrug:

:goodvibes: for Benni's tests tomorrow

luckypenny November 2nd, 2010 06:04 AM

I have no advice to offer but just wanted to send :goodvibes: and :fingerscr for Benni's vet visit today and lots of :grouphug:s for you, 14+.

Love4himies November 2nd, 2010 06:39 AM

Lots and lots of :goodvibes: for Benni. I know for my previous boss, tube feeding was the life saver for her cat.

Tundra_Queen November 2nd, 2010 07:36 AM

14+ have u tried prednizone? When willie would not eat he was put on prednizone and before that he was given diazapam. The diazapam made him very hungry but also very wobbly,,,but he ate up a storm. Because I was scared of him being so wobbly we went to the prednizone and that helped tooI don't know how that would effect a cat with liver issues. :grouphug:

14+kitties November 2nd, 2010 07:58 AM

Thanks for the good wishes folks. I'm hoping there's some good news. I weighed her last night and she was at 7 pounds so maybe it isn't as bad as I thought. I was afraid I wasn't getting enough in to her.
Tundra - she's been on two courses of Pred. I really don't want her on more. It's not a great med for a continuous course. Really hard on the organs. I've been reading that sometimes with liver issues the course of antibiotics should be for six months. Benni was only on them for about a month. :shrug:

Tundra_Queen November 2nd, 2010 08:03 AM

14+ willie was on prednizone for five years...I finally got him weaned off it just a while ago. I didn't know it was that bad for him until I started reading things in here about it. I still have to watch him to make sure he doesn't stop eating though.

OOPS forgot this...maybe u could ask your vet about diazapam today for a couple of days so Benni could gain a bit more weight? Put him in a place where he couldn't hurt himeself? Just a thought. :grouphug:

14+kitties November 2nd, 2010 08:13 AM

[QUOTE=Tundra_Queen;963741]14+ willie was on prednizone for five years...I finally got him weaned off it just a while ago. I didn't know it was that bad for him until I started reading things in here about it. I still have to watch him to make sure he doesn't stop eating though.

OOPS forgot this...maybe u could ask your vet about diazapam today for a couple of days so Benni could gain a bit more weight? Put him in a place where he couldn't hurt himeself? Just a thought. :grouphug:[/QUOTE]

Thanks TQ. :thumbs up We'll be doing lots of talking today. And umm, Benni's a girl. But I won't tell her you called her a boy. ;):laughing: Benni is after George Lopez's mom on his old show. You know, she was a real biatch. Benni on her good days is too. :D

chico2 November 2nd, 2010 08:52 AM

growler,i knew it was one of our cat-gurus,either you or scm.

14+good luck with benni today,feeding-tube seems like a good idea,why all those expensive tests,like a biopsy before,would that be a liver-biopsy?
:grouphug::pray::goodvibes::fingerscr:cat:

14+kitties November 2nd, 2010 10:28 AM

Well, the whole feeding tube may be unnecessary after all because [SIZE="7"]SHE ATE TUNA!!! [/SIZE] :D She did the normal turning her face away from the food and trying to bury the dish but I put a little of the broth on her lips. She seemed more interested then so I took some tuna and put it in front of her. She probably ate a good tablespoon or more! :thumbs up Now I'm praying she will move on to other foods too. :fingerscr

Love4himies November 2nd, 2010 10:51 AM

[SIZE="7"][COLOR="Red"]WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Do you have a Global around? or a place you can find some Almo? They have a tuna and shrimp flavour and the advantage of Almo is no salt.

14+kitties November 2nd, 2010 10:56 AM

[QUOTE=Love4himies;963835][SIZE="7"][COLOR="Red"]WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Do you have a Global around? or a place you can find some Almo? They have a tuna and shrimp flavour and the advantage of Almo is no salt.[/QUOTE]

There is a Global not too far away from the vets if I remember correctly. And Pet Valu has BC which I understand is nutritionally complete now? So after the vets I will run in there and grab her some. I am just :pray: this keeps up. I just went out to the kitchen a few minutes ago and she was grooming herself. That's something she normally only does after she eats so maybe she ate a bit more.

Chris21711 November 2nd, 2010 11:00 AM

:pray: 14k that finally Benni has overcome her phobia to eating and that she is on the road to recovery....hang in there m/f :grouphug:

Love4himies November 2nd, 2010 11:07 AM

[QUOTE=14+kitties;963840]There is a Global not too far away from the vets if I remember correctly. And Pet Valu has BC which I understand is nutritionally complete now? So after the vets I will run in there and grab her some. I am just :pray: this keeps up. I just went out to the kitchen a few minutes ago and she was grooming herself. That's something she normally only does after she eats so maybe she ate a bit more.[/QUOTE]

Yes, she perhaps needed her liver to heal enough so that enough toxins were being flushed from her system to regain an appetite. :pray:

Love4himies November 2nd, 2010 11:09 AM

There is another canned that my cats just love:

[url]http://www.petcurean.com/index.php?page_id=155[/url]

It is GO, by peturcan. It is a fish flavour, but that may be what she loves. And this is nutritionally complete.

14+kitties November 2nd, 2010 11:09 AM

All fingers are crossed!!!

Dog Dancer November 2nd, 2010 11:21 AM

My toes are crossed too! Keep up the good work ladies.

Love4himies November 2nd, 2010 11:22 AM

:fingerscr:fingerscr:fingerscr:fingerscr:fingerscr:goodvibes::goodvibes:

14+kitties November 2nd, 2010 11:25 AM

Thanks ladies. As we "speak" she is eating more tuna. :cloud9::D I can only hope she will keep it up. Going to go get some food in a few minutes. That way if I'm late getting out of the vets I have it.

Love4himies November 2nd, 2010 11:26 AM

I am crying :cry:

More and more and more :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:

The GO Trout flavour if you can get some at Global is lip smacking good to kitties.